The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ViceVersa
My interview at Keele for medicine is today at 12noon and I'm scared to say the least. Surely I'm definitely gonna mess this up :frown: Wish me luck everyone! :ahee:

Good luck! Keele is beautiful. Take in how pretty it is and then kick ass :biggrin:
Original post by rmhumphries

Spoiler

Hmm, did you have a good time while you were out though? I am up at the gastly time of 4:45, as gotta get a coach in 45 minutes ><

:h:

It was okay. The predrinking in the flat was better, as it always is. Kitchen got covered with glowstick gel, haha, it looked amazing. But when we get out, everyone sticks to their little friendship groups, and I get left to one side. Hohum.

Ughh, how are you even conscious at that time? That's about 15 minutes after I actually went to sleep :tongue: But ooh, coach going anywhere interesting?
My interview at Keele for medicine is today at 12noon and I'm scared to say the least. Surely I'm definitely gonna mess this up :frown: Wish me luck everyone! :ahee:

Good luck! :dance:
Reply 3023
Original post by 35mm_
Hiiii; we live in the same county :cool:

Haha, that's where all the cool people live :biggrin: I'm actually in Wolverhampton, but I figured telling people that might put them off :biggrin:

Hope you're doing alright, although guessing by your posts that seems to be a silly thing to say :console: I'm terrible at giving advice, but I really hope that you get some support really really soon.
Reply 3024

You might not see this until you're out, but I'm sending you lots of luck! :awesome: :hugs:
Reply 3025
Original post by rmhumphries

Hmm, I know the issue when you have to come up with ideas yourself - and I'm afraid I don't have any good advice to offer with that issue. The only thing I can suggest is either you writing things down to give to them, so they can read your opinion, with reasons, and it is harder to dismiss, or get your old team to write to them?

Yeah I guess I could do that.

I find it really hard to talk when I'm feeling that low. It takes me at least half an hour to 'warm up', and even then I can only talk when I have a degree of trust with a person.
The crisis team have sent me 3 new people on their last visits. I understand that I can't see the same person every time, but I've met at least 10 of them now, and I'd rather stick to seeing one of those people than seeing yet another new person. They've said it's all complicated because it's a 24 hour service so they have weird shifts and stuff, and I get that, but considering that yesterday it took me an hour and a half to persuade the person who saw me not to section me, you'd think they'd try and send me someone familiar.

I think I should get a dictophone and record myself... sometimes when I'm in my room and feeling rubbish I'll just talk to myself, or talk to an old photograph and everything comes out really eloquently and it's exactly how I feel. Then when I actually see somebody I forget loads of things or just can't express myself.
I'm sick to death of sleeping 12 hours straight and waking up feeling **** and not wanting to do anything. ARGH!
Reply 3027
Crisis team are picking me up to take me to my first CBT session in a bit. Not sure how I feel about this; completely terrified for the appointment and dreading having to spend half an hour in a car with crisis people, but hopefully this is the start of me getting better so fingers crossed it goes well.
Original post by Sultana
Crisis team are picking me up to take me to my first CBT session in a bit. Not sure how I feel about this; completely terrified for the appointment and dreading having to spend half an hour in a car with crisis people, but hopefully this is the start of me getting better so fingers crossed it goes well.

Good luck.

I always hated sitting in a car with them, but generally they're just talk between each other in the front, thankfully leaving me to stare out the window quietly in the back.
Reply 3029
Original post by Sabertooth
Good luck.

I always hated sitting in a car with them, but generally they're just talk between each other in the front, thankfully leaving me to stare out the window quietly in the back.

Sounds like social workers... I had to sit with two of them on the drive home from school. Was horrible.

And one of their phones rang, and their ring tone was that awful "you're way too beautiful girl, that's why it will never work, you had me suicidal..." song.

Brilliant ring tone when you have a depressed and suicidal 15 year old in the back of your car :colonhash:.
Okay, so. I am doing my very best to ruin all chances of staying at university. I was told this morning that my claim for extenuating circumstances has been rejected (they'd made allowances for me which is something I totally accept but those changes mean nothing on the days I thought I was going to kill myself on) so I'm a little bit stuffed. My degree will be capped for this semester and I don't have a chance in hell of completing it to anything I'd be happy with. Only issue is money. I could move back to my hometown but my parents house is too small for me to live in and so I'd be homeless without the funding to keep me going. Currently investigating moving back to Keele or studying with the OU. The email they sent was so useless. I have no idea what's supposed to happen now. My head is just mush.

Considering walking to the hospital because I don't think I can keep myself safe today.
Reply 3031
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Okay, so. I am doing my very best to ruin all chances of staying at university. I was told this morning that my claim for extenuating circumstances has been rejected (they'd made allowances for me which is something I totally accept but those changes mean nothing on the days I thought I was going to kill myself on) so I'm a little bit stuffed. My degree will be capped for this semester and I don't have a chance in hell of completing it to anything I'd be happy with. Only issue is money. I could move back to my hometown but my parents house is too small for me to live in and so I'd be homeless without the funding to keep me going. Currently investigating moving back to Keele or studying with the OU. The email they sent was so useless. I have no idea what's supposed to happen now. My head is just mush.

Considering walking to the hospital because I don't think I can keep myself safe today.

Is there anybody at uni that you can talk it all through with? Someone in the Dean of Students office or your academic mentor or anything like that?

My uni has been really good at looking at all the options available and that sort of thing, maybe you just haven't found the right person yet? :jumphug:

If you don't think you're safe then A+E might be best. Also your safety is the most important thing, so try not to worry and think about it if it's making you worse (easier said than done, I know), but there will always be an option that you might not have thought of, even if you can't see it now. :hugs:
Original post by Nut.
Sounds like social workers... I had to sit with two of them on the drive home from school. Was horrible.

And one of their phones rang, and their ring tone was that awful "you're way too beautiful girl, that's why it will never work, you had me suicidal..." song.

Brilliant ring tone when you have a depressed and suicidal 15 year old in the back of your car :colonhash:.

Thankfully I have no idea what song you're talking about but it sounds pretty horrendous and kind of inappropriate for a social worker. :hmmmm:
Original post by Nut.
Is there anybody at uni that you can talk it all through with? Someone in the Dean of Students office or your academic mentor or anything like that?

My uni has been really good at looking at all the options available and that sort of thing, maybe you just haven't found the right person yet? :jumphug:

If you don't think you're safe then A+E might be best. Also your safety is the most important thing, so try not to worry and think about it if it's making you worse (easier said than done, I know), but there will always be an option that you might not have thought of, even if you can't see it now. :hugs:

I'm trying to arrange a meeting with disability services but it's proving impossible. Have emailed Keele, the OU, and the disability officer for my school too. Nobody has emailed me back yet. Keele offered me a transfer last year but I doubt they'll let me transfer into their third year so I'd have to start my second year again. I feel like I'm academically drowning.
Reply 3034
Thankfully I have no idea what song you're talking about but it sounds pretty horrendous and kind of inappropriate for a social worker. :hmmmm:

:eek: I simpy cannot endure the awfulness of that song on my ownsome! :cool:

(You will hear the line I mean in the first 15 seconds.)

WARNING: after 30 seconds your ears may start to bleed. :crazy:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nut.
:eek: I simpy cannot endure the awfulness of that song on my ownsome! :cool:

(You will hear the line I mean in the first 15 seconds.)

WARNING: after 30 seconds your ears may start to bleed. :crazy:

That's more than slightly inappropriate for the social worker...:s-smilie:

And yes, I agree, ****ing awful song.
Reply 3036
That's more than slightly inappropriate for the social worker...:s-smilie:

And yes, I agree, ****ing awful song.

To be honest, she was a pretty **** social worker.

She got transferred off my case after about 3 weeks because she p****d off my mum so much that it became unworkable and was just more difficult for me. :lol:

Totally fulfilled her job description there :awesome: .
How do you explain depression to someone you're no longer friends with, who doesn't seem to understand anything about it? I spend all this time trying to convince myself it's not my fault, now I'm having to tell her it is, and I'm just really lazy and selfish.
Reply 3038
Original post by misst911
How do you explain depression to someone you're no longer friends with, who doesn't seem to understand anything about it? I spend all this time trying to convince myself it's not my fault, now I'm having to tell her it is, and I'm just really lazy and selfish.

Link her to a couple of websites like RCPsych/ Rethink/ Mind and tell her to read a bit about it?

It'll be easier if she has a foundation of knowledge before you get into specifics, and if you have to explain everything to her it could be exhausting (I know it'd knacker me).
Original post by Nut.
You might not see this until you're out, but I'm sending you lots of luck! :awesome: :hugs:

Original post by angelbones
Good luck! :dance:

Original post by ParadoxSocks
Good luck! Keele is beautiful. Take in how pretty it is and then kick ass :biggrin:

Original post by motzand
Good luck!! :jumphug:

That's really awesome, and Keele is so beautiful. :love:

Original post by 35mm_
I wish you the very best.

Thank you! :lovehug: It was okay! Overall okay except the last question :sad:. I struggled with it a bit and don't think I answered it very well *pout*. Rest overall was better than my Barts interview and I was more relaxed, so it was more of, and felt more like, a chat/conversation. Eek I dunno if I did enough but I'll hear back within 2-14 days! :erm:

Latest