The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

its amazing that i've only been depressed for a few days and yet i am still fairly acutely suicidal - well less so now than last night. i'm pretty aware of my own mental processes and tend to perceive them in concrete ways - it's as though i can genuinely pinpoint the exact places where my brain is blocking itself from producing positive thoughts. i'll even attempt consciously to produce positive thoughts and be met with a tidal wave of mental resistance.

poor me.

poor us all.
Reply 4401
Does anyone here know much about dealing with anger... Its not blind anger... its directed at someone.. but this person hasnt really done anything to me.... least not directly. Im struggling to deal with these feelings... its gotten so bad I cant even look at the person with out feeling sick.
Original post by warp2125
Does anyone here know much about dealing with anger... Its not blind anger... its directed at someone.. but this person hasnt really done anything to me.... least not directly. Im struggling to deal with these feelings... its gotten so bad I cant even look at the person with out feeling sick.

the only thing ive found controls my anger is antipsychotics. :colone:

why do you feel angry at them? there are a few people who i feel *should* really have done something or not done something, and although i know they are within their rights to make the choices they've made, if they had a better regard for me they wouldn't have. and they apparently DONT CARE. :angry: the fact that i "can't" really be angry at them and have no way of resolving my issue is what makes me angry, possibly moreso than the original thing. i guess it's just a matter of learning to let go - which admittedly is quite difficult if you still have to be around them a lot.
Reply 4403
Original post by littleshambles

Oh man tell me about it.

They've nicked all my passion and replaced it with apathy.

In fact, thinking of that, maybe I'll find stuff that I care about once I come off the med. :beard:
those are called hypnopompic/hypnagogic hallucinations and they happen during the transition between wakefulness and sleep. they're relatively common and mostly harmless (douglas? :moon:), but the only time i've got them is on citalopram 20mg :sly: however then it was epiphenomenal to the sleep disruption it was causing.

it's probably a meh side effect, but if it continues and is associated with poorer sleep, flag it up to your doc :yy:

Ahh, ok. Yeah, that's what I've just been put on, and I've never experienced that until now. With regards to sleep, I usually sleep poorly anyway so I doubt the medication can really make things worse; I didn't find that the hallucinations were harming my ability to fall asleep but I did have to make a conscious effort to close my eyes to tear myself away from them. :')

Thank you :smile:
Reply 4405

why do you feel angry at them? there are a few people who i feel *should* really have done something or not done something, and although i know they are within their rights to make the choices they've made, if they had a better regard for me they wouldn't have. and they apparently DONT CARE. :angry: the fact that i "can't" really be angry at them and have no way of resolving my issue is what makes me angry, possibly moreso than the original thing. i guess it's just a matter of learning to let go - which admittedly is quite difficult if you still have to be around them a lot.

Ok.. its like this... I was lucky to have a really good friend during my issues.... now some 34 year abomination has come along and taken her....my friend is gay... which doesnt bother me.... but this woman is not really gay.. she just plays at it.... I know my friend is going to end up getting hurt.... Guess Im angry because I feel so futile....DAMN IT!
Reply 4406
Original post by 35mm_
Going to my appointment in a bizzle. Will let you all know how it went when I get back; IF I get back, that is.

35mm_ just texted me to say that she's being sectioned and will be at the hosital in around an hours time. I've given her all our best. She just didn't want anyone to worry when she stops posting for a while, because she's not sure if she'll be allowed her phone or not.
Reply 4407
Original post by Nut.
35mm_ just texted me to say that she's being sectioned and will be at the hosital in around an hours time. I've given her all our best. She just didn't want anyone to worry when she stops posting for a while, because she's not sure if she'll be allowed her phone or not.

Good of you to let us all know.... Fingers crossed for her.
Original post by Nut.

Thanks for letting us know, I hope she's okay :frown:

I've got my DSA assessment in a couple of weeks, feel weirdly nervous about it. I don't want to look like I'm just taking advantage by asking for things. Also worried because I have to take medical evidence. I'm seeing my doctor on Monday, will they just be able to write me a letter for me to take or what?
Original post by LostHorizons
Thanks for letting us know, I hope she's okay :frown:

I've got my DSA assessment in a couple of weeks, feel weirdly nervous about it. I don't want to look like I'm just taking advantage by asking for things. Also worried because I have to take medical evidence. I'm seeing my doctor on Monday, will they just be able to write me a letter for me to take or what?

What evidence did you submit when you made your application? Just take whatever you submitted, although if I remember correctly, I didn't even need anything they asked me to bring. (But it is still best to take it)

Original post by Nut.
I don't like cold soup :yucky:, otherwise I would!

I open a can of tuna or salmon in my room and eat that quite a lot, but I can't even eat soup when it's warm, let alone cold :frown:.

Not allowed a kettle in my room unfortunately, and the one in the kitchen takes nigh on 4-5mins to boil, increasing the chance of Bumping Into A Person.
I'll get over it soon. Hopefully!
OR I could just buy a kettle and hide it when the cleaner comes... :beard:

EDIT: Oh **** it. I'm going in!

Stick bowl in microwave, run outside for a cigarette, run back in, grab soup, run upstairs and hope that I don't trip. #soundslikeaplan

EDIT 2: Crap. The music just started in the kitchen, I didn't realise how late it was, what with just waking up. Kitchen will have at least 15 people in it by now, I'll just go for the ciggie and see if I can find some more tuna in my drawer. But I willl eat something!

Buy a kettle and hide it, it will be fine. Either that or buy a microwave and hide it - I got away with hiding a pet when in halls :h:
Original post by rmhumphries
What evidence did you submit when you made your application? Just take whatever you submitted, although if I remember correctly, I didn't even need anything they asked me to bring. (But it is still best to take it)

I haven't submitted anything yet :s-smilie: I was surprised when I got the email, really. My appointment with the doctor this Monday was to get evidence to give my uni's disability service...
I haven't submitted anything yet :s-smilie: I was surprised when I got the email, really. My appointment with the doctor this Monday was to get evidence to give my uni's disability service...

Interesting, so you have a DSA assessment without submitting anything to them? Hmm...

But yeah, generally a note from your GP is good enough.

Oh. You're doing it differently than the rest of us! Just get a note from your doctor and you'll be completely fine :smile:

I really need to sort out my DSA refunds. I have £300ish of receipts on my desk now :redface:
Just had a letter from my therapist asking if I want to take a 'Managing Stress' group workshop.

*mumbles*

What I actually want is my one-to-one therapy sessions for social anxiety. How is a group session beneficial if I'm hiding in the bathroom/under a table/outside.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Just had a letter from my therapist asking if I want to take a 'Managing Stress' group workshop.

*mumbles*

What I actually want is my one-to-one therapy sessions for social anxiety. How is a group session beneficial if I'm hiding in the bathroom/under a table/outside.

E-mail back telling them what you want :hugs:
Original post by rmhumphries
Interesting, so you have a DSA assessment without submitting anything to them? Hmm...

But yeah, generally a note from your GP is good enough.

Original post by ParadoxSocks
Oh. You're doing it differently than the rest of us! Just get a note from your doctor and you'll be completely fine :smile:

I really need to sort out my DSA refunds. I have £300ish of receipts on my desk now :redface:

It is weird, I know. I've seen the disability office at uni, they told me to submit evidence and then they'd send the application off, but...I guess they sent it without evidence? But then I dunno why they're assessing me before they've seen proof. Maybe they'll just check it at the assessment to speed things up, rather than waiting?
Hey, I'm new to this society (going anon since quite a few people IRL know this account I'm using currently)

I'm in uni, second year and have a bit of a dilemma and thought you guys could help, since you have most likely been through something similar.

I had really bad ED nduring sixth form, so I took a gap year before entering university hoping for recovery and "a fresh start". Then as soon as I started uni, I dealt with quite a few deaths of relatives and I guess what made it worse was that it was the first time someone I knew died and I didn't know how to deal with it.
I didn't attend any lectures because of my anxiety, even if I tried as soon as I walk in, I would walk back out of the lecture theatre because I would feel trapped. Tutorials were even worse (smaller room etc.) - ok, so you probably know what's next, I just about passed my first year :/

In second year what I've done is get my friends to record the lectures and I go through them at home, so this way I can somewhat keep up with uni work. I do as much as I can on my good days, but on my bad days, I rarely even get out of bed. Getting up before 4pm and showering is an achievement for me nowadays, which is so different from the person I used to be years ago.

So I've decided to get help, but I'm not sure how to go about it... I've made an appointment with my uni counsellor, so scared I don't know what to expect and I'm also going home soon to see my G.P. Now I have not been diagnosed with depression, but I'm pretty sure I am depressed and I want to find out whether it's because of chemical imbalance in my brain, or because of my past. If it's the latter, I rather seek therap instead of taking medication, what do you think?
Original post by Anonymous

So I've decided to get help, but I'm not sure how to go about it... I've made an appointment with my uni counsellor, so scared I don't know what to expect and I'm also going home soon to see my G.P. Now I have not been diagnosed with depression, but I'm pretty sure I am depressed and I want to find out whether it's because of chemical imbalance in my brain, or because of my past. If it's the latter, I rather seek therap instead of taking medication, what do you think?

if your depression/anxiety is quite severe which it sounds like it is, a combination is best (regardless) even if it is not entirely endogenous. causes of any depression are complex and it is very difficult in a lot of situations to extricate them. antidepressants can help you manage some of the symptoms of depression and anxiety making it easier for you to cope with life and going to psychotherapy for that matter

disclaimer: they might not help (have to put the disclaimer)
Original post by Nut.
Oh man tell me about it.

They've nicked all my passion and replaced it with apathy.

In fact, thinking of that, maybe I'll find stuff that I care about once I come off the med. :beard:

could happen :holmes:. it's so difficult to tell the effects of the med apart from symptoms of depression :indiff:

one of the reasons i've been blah about taking it, although i happen to be beyond caring what happens to me now so i'm just gonna take it :nothing:
Original post by superwolf
:eek: Do you have special powers?

:hugs: Remember that they're not real. If dealing with this stuff while on your own is too scary, how about joining an exercise class or going swimming, where you might feel like there's safety in numbers?

:lol: You're a ****ing hobo.

Edit: You're probably gonna laugh your arse off at this idea, but would you be willing to try hypnosis for your insomnia? I got recommended the site by some psychologist or other, tried a couple of their free downloads and although they didn't do anything life changing I think they did still have a bit of a positive influence.

Seeing as you've tried every drug under the sun I don't see what harm there can be in trying something different, and I doubt there are many side-effects you can get from hypnosis. :tongue: Plus it's not insanely expensive or anything.

I have the power of anti-sleep! All things considered it's a pretty sucky power, I'd prefer if I could fly then I'd never have to get on a plane again.

The gym/swimming pool is 3 miles away, I have considered trying to do that but always give up when faced with a 3 mile walk there and back. :frown:

I am laughing my ass off at your idea. Hypnosis isn't real so it's obviously not going to work. :colonhash: I'm hoping the quetiapine helps eventually, I'm still on a low dose as I'm tapering it, so hopefully once I hit higher doses it will knock me out.

Latest