The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noodlzzz
I wear a long sleeved rash vast and don't get any second looks. I'd really recommend buying one!

I've been looking at rash vests but I don't know how my chest would take being put into something so tight fitting. Stupid boobs are stupid :frown: With a sports bra and a swimming top (essentially a tankini top) over my costume I almost look like a normal (boobless) human being!

Original post by Sabertooth
I swim in tshirts in outdoor pools and no one has ever had a problem with it, but I imagine the rules might be different for indoor pools. I heard they don't like you wearing outside clothes in the pool because of the risk of bacteria or something - dunno, I heard that once.

You could go on a Muslim ladies' night and wear a burkini :teehee:

I wish they'd invent something between a costume and a burkini! I'll email the pool now. It's for an aqua zumba class so I imagine the other girls are going to be at least moderately covered. Alternatively I'll have to run in wearing my swimdress and throw it to the side before I throw myself into the pool. It's not gonna be pretty though.
So I met a fellow paranoid depressed 18 year old when I was staying on the psych unit a couple of weeks ago. We really clicked in terms of actually being able to talk to someone who understood what it was like. So I added him on Facebook and he accepted the request like 2 minutes ago and then proceeded to delete his Facebook within seconds of the add. Can't work out who's more paranoid... him about me on Facebook or me for trying to work out his motive for doing that? :rofl:
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I've been looking at rash vests but I don't know how my chest would take being put into something so tight fitting. Stupid boobs are stupid :frown: With a sports bra and a swimming top (essentially a tankini top) over my costume I almost look like a normal (boobless) human being!

I wish they'd invent something between a costume and a burkini! I'll email the pool now. It's for an aqua zumba class so I imagine the other girls are going to be at least moderately covered. Alternatively I'll have to run in wearing my swimdress and throw it to the side before I throw myself into the pool. It's not gonna be pretty though.

Have you tried wearing a really tight swimming costume to squish things down before? Not sure if that will work but I know my old costume which was a size too small made me go from a D to what looked like a B. If that worked you could then put the rash vest over the top?
Original post by Noodlzzz
Have you tried wearing a really tight swimming costume to squish things down before? Not sure if that will work but I know my old costume which was a size too small made me go from a D to what looked like a B. If that worked you could then put the rash vest over the top?

Yeah, at the moment I'm just trying to flatten and secure the buggers so they don't escape or do anything stupid. I'm a GG so it's not a pretty sight :frown:

I'll investigate rash vests for next week. I could wear a sports bra that way :biggrin:
Original post by S_123
I hate this feeling. I feel like I've embarrassed myself today (it was quite an embarrassing situation actually that you can't really laugh off that much) and I can't stop thinking about it. I hate it when this happens because then I can't do my work and I have work that's in for tomorrow. All I can think about is today and I want to slap myself. It's so embarrassing and I feel like I need to prove myself. I always feel like I've got so much pressure on me to be brilliant but I always fall short and lose people's faith. Ugh. This certain incident today was just so...ugh. I think I played it as well as possible but still. I always feel like I'm not good enough.

:console: No point in beating yourself up over it, embarressing things happen to us all.
Original post by carl_senior
Hello guys. Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.
One of my close friends of 7 years recently told me that he has been diagnosed with moderate depression. He has always been quite a shy introverted person for as long as I have known him. He would always cancel on plans at the last minute etc, but we just accepted that he was flaky. He went to uni in september and I thought it would 'bring him out of his shell' so to speak. He told me a few weeks ago that it made things worse. He would stay in his room for days and just sleep. He has now left university at the advice of his doctor.

I am worried about him and depression is not something that I can really understand. He has become almost uncontactable now and I want to know how I can help. If anyone could maybe give me a hint of what I can say or do that would be much appreciated.

Can be hard to know what to do, I would just try to let him know your always there for him if he does want to talk or see anyone.
You sound like a very caring friend! :smile:

Original post by drbluebox
I managed to go to bed early and wake up early, but as usual despite being exhausted I kept waking up thinking it was 8am and it was like 1am, 2am etc.

Managed to get properly to sleep around 6am but as I woke up at 9 didnt get a very relaxing sleep but feel better in the sense that I woke up early.

Shame I cant go out as waiting in for a courier collection!

:console: Have you seen a doctor about your sleeping troubles?
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, I was thinking about it today but I'm a bit scared. For some reason I always think that my problems are too trivial to go to the doctor about.

As said, it's not too trivial at all, they are there to help. No point suffering alone when you don't need to. I know it's scary, but it will be worth it.
Original post by HistoryRepeating
Can anyone explain to me the differences in symptoms of depression and lazyness?

Well with lazyness I don't think you feel really low and hopeless all the time.
Just thought I'd let you all know how amazing I think you all are (not that you care what I think :tongue:)

I think I've had depression myself for the last year and a half or so, but have never actually been diagnosed. Too scared I guess.

Well I don't think I'm ready to talk about it properly so to be honest I'm just posting to let every single one of you on here know that some random person you've never spoken to, thinks you are awesome :colondollar:

:hugs: I hope you really consider going to the gp, that's a long time to suffer alone.

Original post by xbethany
Just got this text from my mum:
"We have been broken into. On way home now. Loads taken."
OMG :s-smilie: I hope everything's OK!

:eek: Hope it's not too serious :hugs:
Original post by scorpio22
So i have been feeling very unmotivated for a while.My work has been suffering alot.Im happy one day and can feel full of life and the next day .I'm miserable and don't care-I sit in class but its like im not there because subconsciously not taking it in...

:console: Have you talked to anyone about it?
With lazyness you do feel low - you feel guilty for being lazy and this makes you feel terrible and then you are more lazy.
Reply 1586
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Anyone ever had any trouble with wearing a t-shirt to swim in? I have a really light one that I've swam in before but that was at a small local pool. Don't really fancy flashing my scars or my sports bra :tongue:

You could get a rash vest (worn under a wetsuit usually) - I've swum in that and bikini bottoms at the beach before. Didn't look odd/feel odd - could be easier to swim in than a normal t-shirt too.

Edit: Ha, sorry, should have read other posts first!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1587
Lots of meetings with people tomorrow. Busiest I'll have been for about 3 months :teehee:.
Original post by HistoryRepeating
With lazyness you do feel low - you feel guilty for being lazy and this makes you feel terrible and then you are more lazy.

Hmm see your point, I suppose it's if you feel too bad to do anything in the first place rather than just can't be bothered and then feel bad.
Reply 1589
So my mood seems to have stagnated at rather low but not dangerously (for now anyway) since being back at home, I guess I need to work out what is causing this but there are so many possibilities :colonhash:
Original post by SeaJay
You could get a rash vest (worn under a wetsuit usually) - I've swum in that and bikini bottoms at the beach before. Didn't look odd/feel odd - could be easier to swim in than a normal t-shirt too.

Edit: Ha, sorry, should have read other posts first!

Ha! Totes okay - it's nice to see that most people have the same opinion. Just ordered myself a plain black one :biggrin:
Reply 1591
Original post by Idle
So my mood seems to have stagnated at rather low but not dangerously (for now anyway) since being back at home, I guess I need to work out what is causing this but there are so many possibilities :colonhash:

Are they offering you any therapy?

The psychiatrist up here still isn't convinced 100% that I have bipolar, despite the first psychiatrist I saw in the hospital diagnosing a mixed episode :rolleyes:.

He wants to see how therapy goes before adjusting my meds to fix the depressive episode. It's all well and good for him, and in the grand scheme of things 6 months might not seem very long, but the next 2-3 weeks are crucial for me at uni and I need to be at my best, or knowing that I'm getting better, rather than (stealing your word here because it's very apt) stagnating.
Reply 1592
Original post by Nut.
Are they offering you any therapy?

The psychiatrist up here still isn't convinced 100% that I have bipolar, despite the first psychiatrist I saw in the hospital diagnosing a mixed episode :rolleyes:.

He wants to see how therapy goes before adjusting my meds to fix the depressive episode. It's all well and good for him, and in the grand scheme of things 6 months might not seem very long, but the next 2-3 weeks are crucial for me at uni and I need to be at my best, or knowing that I'm getting better, rather than (stealing your word here because it's very apt) stagnating.

My meds have changed and I have counselling at a youth dedicated place but as for anything else, it would have to be decided by my consultant, however I won't get an appointment with him until I am discharged from the crisis team... Kind of a silly system :tongue:
Reply 1593
Original post by Idle
My meds have changed and I have counselling at a youth dedicated place but as for anything else, it would have to be decided by my consultant, however I won't get an appointment with him until I am discharged from the crisis team... Kind of a silly system :tongue:

Yeah that is a little bizarre... I know my care and all my notes have been passed up to Norwich now, so I presume I'll have a CMHT type thing once the crisis team discharge me. They have a different system up here to what I'm used to back home, where the psych hospitals and crisis team etc. all link up and the staff are interchangeable for increased efficacy and stuff.

Don't really understand it tbh, I'm just turning up to the meetings day to day like I'm told to :lol:.
Yeah, well with some help from the solutions it was anyway.:tongue:
Mood wise today has been fine, just still so tired. Everyday by about 2pm I'm exhausted and can't stop yawning. Want to stay at uni longer and get more work done but just end up coming home and getting into bed. Obviously much better than feeling low, but just feel like I could be getting twice the work done if this wasn't happening.

Awesome! Especially given that you though some of them had gone terribly!

Spoiler

I hope tomorrow is better for you too. :hugs:

Aww, sounds rubbish. Was today better? :hugs:

Thanks.
Feeling so tired today. Was supposed to stay behind at school to catch up with IT coursework but I couldn't be bothered so came home.
Got loads of work I need to do but I really can't be bothered. Improving biology coursework concerning dolphins doesn't sound too appealing.
My old science teacher who I first told about everything asked one of my friends if I'm OK today. Science teacher knows none of my friends know so why would she do that? My friend said she told her I was fine. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I'm convinced she thinks I'm lying.
Just wish this low mood would go away, so fed up. I was really off with my sister earlier and now I feel guilty.
Original post by rmhumphries

Don't give up! Or I will send various dep-soc members to bite you!

Seriously, try and chase it when you are able, you deserve the support which would help - all you are wanting is what would help you be on a level footing :hugs:

That sounds well exciting! :tongue: Do your worst! It's all good though, the advisor emailed today saying it was an admin issue and the psychiatrist is submitting clearer evidence so I should be fine so yay :biggrin: Thanks again :hugs:
Original post by angelbones
Posting in here a lot today, sorry :frown:

I like this guy. My friend. In all my lectures, we see each other a lot. He has a girlfriend.
We slept together. And then again last week.
I get attached very quickly.
My other friend has warned me to back off a bit, saying it's not fair on his girlfriend (I know it isn't, and I do feel guilty). I agreed.
I put something as my facebook status about winking emoticons insinuating something sexual. He liked it. Was texting him just now about something irrelevant (Orange Wednesdays, haha) and he's been sending winks.
I like him, and the way he fell asleep that first night holding me, I managed to convince myself that he liked me too just a little.

I'm just confused and guilty and worried.
My head's a mess. I shouldn't be getting involved with anyone at the moment when I can't even take care of myself, especially not someone who's taken.

The friend who warned me off, we've got very close very quickly and I've confided a lot in her, and now I worry that I've said too much. I told her about the 4 days in October when I didn't get out of bed and was convinced that I would kill myself if I did. I hadn't told anyone that, it worries me. She's bad for me, triggers me when she talks about cutting and shows me pictures, but it's so nice to have someone to talk to, someone to confide in, someone who just gets it. And the guy living with us next year gets it too, I spoke to him about it in passing yesterday.
If I get worse next year, if I... well. They'd be there, I think I can rely on them as a support system. But having exposed myself to them like that, I feel very vulnerable.

My head's definitely a mess.

I think maybe your friend might be right to suggest backing off a bit, mainly because if he's happy to cheat on his girlfriend with you he doesn't sound like he cares a whole lot about other peoples feelings and if you're not in a good place anyway getting involved with someone like that seems to have disaster written all over it.

Unfortunately opening up to people always makes you more vulnerable but if they can help you when things are not so great then you've made the right decision in telling them. Have you mentioned to your friend that you find her showing you pictures triggering, maybe you could ask her to scale that back a bit? I get that she might need to share but at the same time it doesn't sound really very fair on you, y'know?
Original post by thatsthebadger93
I think maybe your friend might be right to suggest backing off a bit, mainly because if he's happy to cheat on his girlfriend with you he doesn't sound like he cares a whole lot about other peoples feelings and if you're not in a good place anyway getting involved with someone like that seems to have disaster written all over it.

Unfortunately opening up to people always makes you more vulnerable but if they can help you when things are not so great then you've made the right decision in telling them. Have you mentioned to your friend that you find her showing you pictures triggering, maybe you could ask her to scale that back a bit? I get that she might need to share but at the same time it doesn't sound really very fair on you, y'know?

I know. If anything looks like it might happen again, I'm going to get the hell out of there.

Eh, the thing is, in a sick sort of way I enjoy being triggered. I like getting so close to doing it...and then somehow having the willpower to step back and say no. ('Course, it doesn't work all the time, but most of the time). I might have a word with her about it at some point though.
Original post by angelbones
I know. If anything looks like it might happen again, I'm going to get the hell out of there.

Eh, the thing is, in a sick sort of way I enjoy being triggered. I like getting so close to doing it...and then somehow having the willpower to step back and say no. ('Course, it doesn't work all the time, but most of the time). I might have a word with her about it at some point though.

:hugs: As long as you can see that, that's the main thing really :smile:

I think I get what you mean, I do similar things sometimes and I get that feeling of being in control if it's kinda like that?
Aww, sounds rubbish. Was today better? :hugs:

Thanks.
Feeling so tired today. Was supposed to stay behind at school to catch up with IT coursework but I couldn't be bothered so came home.
Got loads of work I need to do but I really can't be bothered. Improving biology coursework concerning dolphins doesn't sound too appealing.
My old science teacher who I first told about everything asked one of my friends if I'm OK today. Science teacher knows none of my friends know so why would she do that? My friend said she told her I was fine. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I'm convinced she thinks I'm lying.
Just wish this low mood would go away, so fed up. I was really off with my sister earlier and now I feel guilty.

Today was pretty much the same, went home about 2.30 though the only thing I had on today was the counselling appointment so did study in the library about 3 hours altogether so wasn't too bad although I wasn't working very quickly. I guess I should try making proper meals with actual vegetables to see if that helps with energy.
Counselling seemed to go really quick today, he said I should be able to get a mentor under DSA but I don't know, by the time I see the mental health advisor next week it will be half way through the semester and would probably take some time to get it sorted out so don't know if there's any point.
Keep putting off doing work for the harder module, think I need to make some time on my timetable just for that one so I don't end up behind on that aswell. Just hope it will click if I have a proper go at it.

Wouldn't be much point staying if you were too tired to work.
Know the feeling, all you can really do is try to break it up so it doesn't seem like such a huge task. Hope you manage to get something done, but if you don't it's perfectly understanable, so hard to work on a low day. :hugs:
Maybe she just wanted to know how you seemed to your friend, if you just generally seemed down I guess. I'm sure she doesn't think you're lying, I'm sure she is just wondering how you are getting on, but it probably a bit awkward about approaching you directly.
I know it sucks, have you though anymore about going to the gp? I'm sure she will understand. :hugs:

Latest