The Student Room Group

Edexcel a2 chemistry revision for the may/june 2012 exam :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by raheem94
Thanks, but i am not a genius. Getting an A* is not a very big deal.

I didn't used any of those, cgp book and flashcards.

I don't have any idea about the cgp book, i have never seen it.

I did a lot of past papers, of the complete decade. Actually i don't like chemistry very much, i like maths, so it was tough for me to concentrate on chemistry. But in the end when the exam neared then i got serious about chemistry and studied everything then practiced a decade of past papers. So as i did the past papers late, hence i didn't needed to do any revision, as everything was in my mind.

congrats on your grades :smile:) i hope to get A* from chemistry too, but i find A2 really hard .. I dont know if I'm asking for too much but; can you share questions if you have any other than the new sylabus chemistry A2 papers with us?
Reply 41
Original post by demdil
congrats on your grades :smile:) i hope to get A* from chemistry too, but i find A2 really hard .. I dont know if I'm asking for too much but; can you share questions if you have any other than the new sylabus chemistry A2 papers with us?

Its been a year since i did chem, so i don't remember it now.

I also did the old spec papers, i didn't attempted the questions which aren't related to the new syllabus.
Reply 42

I also did the old spec papers, i didn't attempted the questions which aren't related to the new syllabus.

thanks ..
Reply 43

till what year did you do the old spec papers ?
Reply 44
Original post by aqua05
till what year did you do the old spec papers ?

It was a long time ago, so i don't remember it exactly.

But i would have done papers in the range of 2001-2011, all of the ones which i had.
It was a long time ago, so i don't remember it exactly.

But i would have done papers in the range of 2001-2011, all of the ones which i had.

I've done 05-11, will do 01-04 nearer the time.
Need to focus on AS resits atm :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by This Honest
I've done 05-11, will do 01-04 nearer the time.
Need to focus on AS resits atm :smile:

Good luck for exams :smile:
Good luck for exams :smile:

Thanks! A* dude :mmm:
Reply 48
Thanks! A* dude :mmm:

Hope you get the same. :colondollar:

How are doing on chem, do you find it easy or difficult?

Are you resitting unit 1 and 2?

Try to score full at AS exams, it is not very difficult to score full in AS exams because these don't contain tricky questions, though it is difficult to score full in A2 exams.
Hope you get the same. :colondollar:

How are doing on chem, do you find it easy or difficult?

Are you resitting unit 1 and 2?

Try to score full at AS exams, it is not very difficult to score full in AS exams because these don't contain tricky questions, though it is difficult to score full in A2 exams.

Thanks you! If I get an A*, not gonna lie, I will feel so glum for months. Even a year later.
I bet you feel happy right now about it, riiiight? :mmm:

Last year I found it difficult, only got a B at AS, but my revision technique wasn't great. I just read the book and expected to do well...

..changed my revision technique and now getting A's :smile:
Right now, I enjoy chemistry, it's not too hard now because I'm understanding the topics rather than memorising the concept.
Last year, I got torn apart in the unit 2 exam because there was so much application :cry2:

Resitting unit 1 (next week) need to ideally get above 110 UMS. Sitting on 94 atm.
Reply 50
Thanks you! If I get an A*, not gonna lie, I will feel so glum for months. Even a year later.
I bet you feel happy right now about it, riiiight? :mmm:

Last year I found it difficult, only got a B at AS, but my revision technique wasn't great. I just read the book and expected to do well...

..changed my revision technique and now getting A's :smile:
Right now, I enjoy chemistry, it's not too hard now because I'm understanding the topics rather than memorising the concept.
Last year, I got torn apart in the unit 2 exam because there was so much application :cry2:

Resitting unit 1 (next week) need to ideally get above 110 UMS. Sitting on 94 atm.

To be honest, i think unit 2 is the easiest module, though it is longer than unit 1.

Try to reach my AS score, 300/300 :smile:

Do as many AS papers as you can. Also remember to see the mark schemes, try to learn how to write the answers according to them, make sure you memorize the definitions and equations, e.g. organic chem equations, before the exam.
To be honest, i think unit 2 is the easiest module, though it is longer than unit 1.

Try to reach my AS score, 300/300 :smile:

Do as many AS papers as you can. Also remember to see the mark schemes, try to learn how to write the answers according to them, make sure you memorize the definitions and equations, e.g. organic chem equations, before the exam.

Thanks raheem!
Nice AS score!
Reply 52
Original post by demdil

No problem - how's your revision going?
Reply 53
Original post by Cetacea
No problem - how's your revision going?

not good; this week i have 4 other exams so i havent started to revise chemistry yet .. how is yours going?
Just revising my transition metal chemistry - can anyone confirm/correct what I understand about why they have coloured ions?

The ligands in the complex ion splits a d orbital (d-d splitting) into two different energy sub levels. The unpaired electron in that orbital absorbs a certain frequency of light and gets promoted to the higher of the two energy sub levels. The electron soon loses the energy gained from the absorption of photons and drops down to the lower energy level of the two sub levels. The process repeats again and again. The colour of the ion that we see is the complementary colour to the frequency of light absorbed by the electron.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 55
Original post by demdil
not good; this week i have 4 other exams so i havent started to revise chemistry yet .. how is yours going?

Wow, that's quite a lot in 1 week! Mine's going well, mainly doing past papers now and looking over revision notes.
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
Just revising my transition metal chemistry - can anyone confirm/correct what I understand about why they have coloured ions?

The ligands in the complex ion splits a d orbital (d-d splitting) into two different energy sub levels. The unpaired electron in that orbital absorbs a certain frequency of light and gets promoted to the higher of the two energy sub levels. The electron soon loses the energy gained from the absorption of photons and drops down to the lower energy level of the two sub levels. The process repeats again and again. The colour of the ion that we see is the complementary colour to the frequency of light absorbed by the electron.

Thanks in advance!

Looks right to me apart from the bold bit.

I don't remember the electrons being dropped down?
Looks right to me apart from the bold bit.

I don't remember the electrons being dropped down?

I was told the electrons continually are promoted and demoted between the two energy levels :/
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
I was told the electrons continually are promoted and demoted between the two energy levels :/

In that case, you're probably right.

My teacher/book doesn't mention that.
In that case, you're probably right.

My teacher/book doesn't mention that.

My chemistry teacher isn't the most reliable source, to be honest, hence why I'm trying to get it confirmed on TSR :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending