The Student Room Group

Edexcel a2 chemistry revision for the may/june 2012 exam :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TenaciousMonkey
My chemistry teacher isn't the most reliable source, to be honest, hence why I'm trying to get it confirmed on TSR :P

well I've never seen it on a mark scheme before so I don't think I'm gonna write it :smile:
Original post by This Honest
well I've never seen it on a mark scheme before so I don't think I'm gonna write it :smile:

I'm going to wait for someone to confirm the bit in bold (or not, as the case may be). Thanks for your help!
Reply 62
Just revising my transition metal chemistry - can anyone confirm/correct what I understand about why they have coloured ions?

The ligands in the complex ion splits a d orbital (d-d splitting) into two different energy sub levels. The unpaired electron in that orbital absorbs a certain frequency of light and gets promoted to the higher of the two energy sub levels. The electron soon loses the energy gained from the absorption of photons and drops down to the lower energy level of the two sub levels. The process repeats again and again. The colour of the ion that we see is the complementary colour to the frequency of light absorbed by the electron.

Thanks in advance!

What basically happens is that during complex ion formation the d subshell breaks into 2 different energy levels. The light causes the electron to get promoted from a lower d subshell to an upper d subshell. The promotion of the electron causes it to absorb energy from the visible spectrum and the rest of the wavelength is given off as colour.

Hope this helps!
I'm going to wait for someone to confirm the bit in bold (or not, as the case may be). Thanks for your help!

I wouldn't write down the bit in bold in an exam, it sounds a little like your describing an emission spectrum in that part instead of the absorption spectrum.
Original post by aqua05
What basically happens is that during complex ion formation the d subshell breaks into 2 different energy levels. The light causes the electron to get promoted from a lower d subshell to an upper d subshell. The promotion of the electron causes it to absorb energy from the visible spectrum and the rest of the wavelength is given off as colour.

Hope this helps!

I would use the word split instead of break.
What my teacher said, terminology is pretty important at A2 :smile:
Original post by aqua05

Hope this helps!

Original post by NutterFrutter
I wouldn't write down the bit in bold in an exam, it sounds a little like your describing an emission spectrum in that part instead of the absorption spectrum.

Thanks guys!
Original post by raheem94
Its been a year since i did chem, so i don't remember it now.

I also did the old spec papers, i didn't attempted the questions which aren't related to the new syllabus.

Would someone be able to link me to the old spec papers / markschemes? Thank you :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by giraffegiraffe
Would someone be able to link me to the old spec papers / markschemes? Thank you :smile:

Go to this link.
Original post by raheem94
Go to this link.

Thanks a lot! :smile:
Reply 69
Can someone tell me the concept behind a buchner funnel ......?! how is the low pressure built up and how is it useful...?
Reply 70
Original post by iesians
Can someone tell me the concept behind a buchner funnel ......?! how is the low pressure built up and how is it useful...?

Heeeey is thus for unit 6 chem?
Well... buchner funnel is required when reduced pressure filtration is required... such as for recrystallisation.. we require buchner funnel..during recrystallisation the buchner runner would be able to suck out the mother liquor.. this is due to the low pressure..the low pressure is built up due to the presence of a vacuum pump which sucks out the air...take it as a suction pump you see at the dentist when they put it in your mouth..its able to suck out the liquid.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by aqua05
Heeeey is thus for unit 6 chem?
Well... buchner funnel is required when reduced pressure filtration is required... such as for recrystallisation.. we require buchner funnel..during recrystallisation the buchner runner would be able to suck out the mother liquor.. this is due to the low pressure..the low pressure is built up due to the presence of a vacuum pump which sucks out the air...take it as a suction pump you see at the dentist when they put it in your mouth..its able to suck out the liquid.

ohh ok !! yup its for unit 6 . i couldnt find a seperate thread:colondollar:
Reply 72
Someone please tell me how to calculate the charge for a complex ion please
Reply 73
Those of you who are studying from George Facer sill you be studying the edexcel textbook as well?
Reply 74
Original post by sammy_93
Those of you who are studying from George Facer sill you be studying the edexcel textbook as well?

Yes I tend to use both in combination. I also have the CGP A2 revision guide and these revision guides for unit 4 and 5, also by George Facer. Getting your information from a range of revision sources definitely helps me, and I also find that there are areas that are better explained in one book compared to another. For example I find the further organic chemistry (unit 4) in the Edexcel textbook better than the Facer book, but the transition metal chemistry (unit 5) in the Facer book better than the Edexcel book!
Reply 75
Original post by Cetacea
Yes I tend to use both in combination. I also have the CGP A2 revision guide and these revision guides for unit 4 and 5, also by George Facer. Getting your information from a range of revision sources definitely helps me, and I also find that there are areas that are better explained in one book compared to another. For example I find the further organic chemistry (unit 4) in the Edexcel textbook better than the Facer book, but the transition metal chemistry (unit 5) in the Facer book better than the Edexcel book!

Thankk uuu:smile:
Reply 76
Original post by Cetacea

heey can you give me the list of topics which are better explained in the edexcel textbook than the facer book please ??
Could someone plz post a link or attachment for the george facer txt buks pretty plzzz :smile: .. I really need those :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by aqua05
heey can you give me the list of topics which are better explained in the edexcel textbook than the facer book please ??

This is just my opinion, and to be honest you're best off using both together for the most effective learning. I think entropy and further organic chemistry (both unit 4) are explained slightly better in the Edexcel textbook, or are at least presented more clearly. I find the Facer book better for the topics involving a lot of calculations (e.g. acid/base, equilibria and rates).
Reply 79
how much do you think you need to get the full 120 ums?????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending