The Student Room Group

Product Moment Correlation Coefficient

Hopefully I`ve spelt the title correctly.

But anyway, I`ve encountered a small problem with PMCC - basically, it just seems extremelly tidious work to do, specially as I have more important and challenging tasks to be doing. I`ve heard that Casio calculator can calculate PMCC but I simply don`t know how to do it; my model is Fx-83Gt Plus, and so far I`ve managed to get to some sorts of table but I dont know how to progress from entering the data and if the Stats Option I`ve chosen (a+bX or Option 2) is correct. When enter all the data and press equals nothing happens.

Quick help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by SillyHorse

But anyway, I`ve encountered a small problem with PMCC - basically, it just seems extremelly tidious work to do, specially as I have more important and challenging tasks to be doing. I`ve heard that Casio calculator can calculate PMCC but I simply don`t know how to do it; my model is Fx-83Gt Plus, and so far I`ve managed to get to some sorts of table but I dont know how to progress from entering the data and if the Stats Option I`ve chosen (a+bX or Option 2) is correct. When enter all the data and press equals nothing happens.

You cant, on that calculator you can get the mean and standard deviation, a casio that can find the PMCC would be the casio fx 9750 GII.

I have both :smile:.
Reply 2
You have the product moment correlation coefficient formula on your formula sheet in the exam.
Reply 3

Is this for an exam?

Right I've got the 85GT+ but I believe it's the same. So:

Press mode, press STAT.
Then press 2: A+Bx
Fill in your data.
When done, press AC.
Press shift then 1 (for [STAT])
Press 5: Reg
Then press 3: r
Just press equals and you're done :smile:

Original post by ch0wm4n
You cant, on that calculator you can get the mean and standard deviation, a casio that can find the PMCC would be the casio fx 9750 GII.

That's wrong. I have both those calculators and you can easily do PMCC.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ch0wm4n

I realise that this is a really old thread but I'm having a crisis how do you calculate it on the fx - 970GII??
Thanks x
Reply 6
Original post by pinkgirl2810
I realise that this is a really old thread but I'm having a crisis how do you calculate it on the fx - 970GII??
Thanks x

Stats S1 exam Friday? no worry my trusty mathematician!

There's the long way to do this through formula or the easy way on calculator, which the exam board actually advise you to do!
I have an fx-9750gii. No idea if yours and mine are similar but I explain the steps to achieve the pmcc (r) ( product moment correlation coefficient ) on mine.

1) Go into Stat mode on the main menu
2) Input your two list of data into list 1 and list 2
3) Press CALC
4) Press REG
5) Press X
6) Press ax+b
7) Take r as your pmcc

Hopefully this will gain you some marks, good luck
Hi I realise this is an old thread but

how about if your given the Ex, Ey, Ex^2 , Ey^2, Exy and n

instead of the x and y values. How do you find the PMCC?

Thanks
Reply 8
You need to write a programme for the fx9750GII/fx9860GII. I've done this for students I've helped. It's easy, as long as you're happy with progrsmming in BASIC.

I can supply a programme, but you'll need to install it via a Windows' p.c. and FA124 software (downloadable free from the Casio website).

Quick Reply

Latest