The Student Room Group

Further Maths AS-level complex numbers question

I'm a bit confused on how to approach this question. I was thinking of substituting one of the root into the function to find the value of Q and then using long division to see if it's a factor of f(z), but that would take sooo long for only 4 marks. Any guidance would be appreciated 😊.
f(z) = z^4 -10z^3 +71z^2+Qz +442, where Q is a real constant.
Given that z=2-3i is a root of the equation f(z)=0
a) show that z^2 -6z +34 is a factor of f(z) (4 marks)
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Enkindle
I'm a bit confused on how to approach this question. I was thinking of substituting one of the root into the function to find the value of Q and then using long division to see if it's a factor of f(z), but that would take sooo long for only 4 marks. Any guidance would be appreciated 😊.

i havent done maths for a few months now so im a bit rusty but i think you just do long division, then if the final line is =0 then its a factor? at least thats how i was taught it. hope this helps!
Original post by Enkindle

That's an approach but as you suspect it's not the optimal one.

The most optimal approach is using the fact that every coefficient of ff is real which must mean roots come in conjugate pairs. So if z=23iz=2-3i is a root you can immediately state another one.

So if z1,z2z_1,z_2 are roots of ff then (zz1)(zz2)(z-z_1)(z-z_2) is a factor of ff.

This is about four marks. The only computational bit of the solution is multiplying out a pair of brackets.

EDIT: I reread the question and I realise that what I had just put down is only half the story. Multiplying the two factors will give a quadratic but it’s not the one you are after, so you would technically (possibly) divide the quartic by the quadratic you have just found to get the quadratic you are being asked for. This is complicated by not knowing Q, however.

The slick approach instead is to note that your quartic has four roots z1,z2,z3,z4z_1,z_2,z_3,z_4.

By considering sum and products of roots on the quartic, it should hopefully be clear that:

z1+z2+z3+z4=10z_1+z_2+z_3+z_4 = 10 …. (*)
z1z2z3z4=442z_1z_2z_3z_4 = 442 …. (**)

and we can form similar relations concerning coefficients 71,Q71,Q however we do not actually need these.

From what I said we know two of the roots z1,z2z_1,z_2 which means our quadratic has roots z3,z4z_3,z_4 so that it takes on the form z2+Az+Bz^2+Az+B where

z3+z4=Az_3+z_4 = -A
z3z4=Bz_3z_4 = B

So if we can determine what the sum z3+z4z_3+z_4 is and also what the product z3z4z_3z_4 then we know what A,BA,B are hence we know the quadratic.

Using (*) we find that

z3+z4=10z1z2 z_3+z_4 = 10 - z_1 - z_2

and this is our A-A

Using (**) we further find that

z3z4=442z1z2 z_3z_4 = \dfrac{442}{z_1 z_2}

and this is our BB.

The neat thing is that we never even need to know what Q is with this method, nor what the actual other two roots are individually.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
That's an approach but as you suspect it's not the optimal one.

The most optimal approach is using the fact that every coefficient of ff is real which must mean roots come in conjugate pairs. So if z=23iz=2-3i is a root you can immediately state another one.

So if z1,z2z_1,z_2 are roots of ff then (zz1)(zz2)(z-z_1)(z-z_2) is a factor of ff.

This is four marks. The only computational bit of the solution is multiplying out a pair of brackets.

yeah youre right, thats another way to do it but tbh you just do whats best for you. it doesnt really matter (unless youre running out of time in an exam then obviously use the quicker way), as long as it gets you to the final answer, then perfect. i used my method in my finals and got an A, you seem to have a good understanding about what youre doing though so either way is fine.
Original post by JG0005
yeah youre right, thats another way to do it but tbh you just do whats best for you. it doesnt really matter (unless youre running out of time in an exam then obviously use the quicker way), as long as it gets you to the final answer, then perfect. i used my method in my finals and got an A, you seem to have a good understanding about what youre doing though so either way is fine.

Your method only works well if we know Q already. Then yes, without even knowing a single root we can just do long division to get 0 remainder.

Unfortunately we have the added difficulty of not knowing Q, and trying to determine it can turn into a very lengthy process. It’s good to be aware of the short solutions and train what to look out for in similar contexts.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by RDKGames
Your method only works well if we know Q already. Then yes, without even knowing a single root we can just do long division to get 0 remainder.

Unfortunately we have the added difficulty of not knowing Q, and trying to determine it can turn into a very lengthy process. It’s good to be aware of the short solutions and train what to look out for in similar contexts.

oh sorry sorry, i forgot to add that part. if i remember correctly, i was taught to do long division then create a quadratic equation from the answer to find q. this type of question was one of the favourites because it was such an easy 4 marks. as i said, its been a while since i took maths so if my method is wrong please correct me. i hope i havent confused you Enkindle

Quick Reply

Latest