The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why are the British so appalingly bad at foreign languages?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
How long does it take to learn a language from scratch? What else could I be doing with that time? What extra utility will I gain from being able to speak fluently rather than passably on the occasional time I need to speak that language in my life? You can learn to say most of the things you will need to say in about 4 -6 hours. Learning to speak fluently takes months if not years.

The opportunity cost of that time is simply too great for too small an advantage - unless you're going to be spending a lot of time in a particular foreign country, spending a lot of time learning a foreign language to fluency is simply not worth it. There's nothing to be ashamed about here, its just common sense to maximise the use of your time.
Tbh, why would you have to learn another language? Your language is spoken almost everywhere. You just don't need to. Whether that's any good is a different question.

I think it is also your school system. For instance, over here we HAVE to start learning English from grade 5 on. We won't be able to drop it, that is, we will keep English all the way through until we graduate. 8 years of English means that you will be somehow able to communicate in that language sooner or later. Additionally, in 7th grade we HAVE to pick up another language and have to keep it for at least 4 years. Whether that's Latin, Spanish or French but we have to learn it. Your school system just doesn't allow this, hence you don't get forced to learn another langugage. And since learning a language is quite an effort, most people that don't love languages won't even try.

I also agree with some post earlier; your enviroment doesn't really endorse foreign languages. Over here you see English everywhere. Slogans in adverts are often in English, we almost only watch American and British films, the internet is mainly in English, videogames are in English if you play online. And if we meet Americans/Britons over here, we want to talk in English to them, you don't even get a chance of speaking German :biggrin: The focus is totally on America/England. 30% of German school kids go a year abroad in year 10. I myself went to the USA for a year.

I am positive that this won't change. You can only force people to learn a foreign language otherwise they won't be willing to make the effort.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've studied French since the age of 5. I'm still rubbish at it :frown:
English people are awesum :smile:
I live in South Africa but I am originally English.
Here in SA people speak 2 lanugages mainly, but there are like 11 languages! It's so confusing!
So it's stupid ot learn two when you don't know what other people are talking anywayz. Cuz if I speak
english and Afrikaans idk what this Zulu next to me is saying, or da Xhosa person at my church! I like england cuz we all speak one language and it' easier to eavesdrop on people.
I'm living in Taiwan now and I can speak a decent amount of Mandarin. Although, I cannot say that I'm fluent, I can get by.

But the simple reason is this, in most other countries, the second language of choice is usually English thus there is no requirement to learn another language. (Although I believe this is wrong)

I've spent a lot of time in Asia and you can see that English is the dominant language that everyone wants to learn. If you want to get far in life, it's thought that you need to know English or another of the top languages. However since English is the most spoken language in the world, people don't see the need to learn any other language.

Although I think it is lazy, I can see why others wouldn't want to devote time into learning another language when they likely don't see a need to USE that language.
YOU might be.

I'm not.
Reply 66
I speak four languages, all at least up to A Level. Am I excused?

Even so, I can still go abroad to another country where I don't happen to speak the language, and still look like a lazy Brit.

I grew up bilingual, so I was always ahead of the rest of my French class in school, because I pick up languages very quickly. I'm guessing the problem is that schools don't start at an early enough age for people to learn how to learn a language and that's why even people who try, don't get very far.

Also, it's not encouraging to kids to learn languages when they don't get a choice at school and they receive poor teaching. I've been teaching English in Japan, and they can all read very well, but they can't speak to save their lives. They don't get any speaking practice, or real-life opportunities to use their English. It could be a similar situation in the UK. I studied French for 7 years without the opportunity to go on an exchange or use my language skills.

In many countries, no foreign language can mean no job. Here it's not even a requirement to take it at GCSE anymore.
Reply 67
This is why I take French at A level :wink:
Everybody speaks English anyway, and if they don't, they ought to.

- Elizabeth Hurley.
I think it's understandable Brits have little need to learn foreign languages. I don't mind at all if they try to get by in English when abroad. In fact, I do that myself when I travel to non-English speaking countries. What I really dislike is the 'Everyone must know English' attitude. No, we don't ****ing have to. But in the Brits' defence, I have rarely come across that. Americans are more prone to have that view, imo.

When it comes to Brits living abroad for long periods of time, I think they should try to integrate but the above still applies.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 70
Because it's not useful...

When a French speaker learns English, they extend their possible number of people to communicate with by around 200 million (assuming that the people who speak French do not speak English, which is not true). Whereas in the opposite direction, for a French speaking person to learn English, that would extend their number of people to communicate with by almost 1 billion.

There's only a handful of languages that would significantly increase the number of people we could communicate with... Mandarin and Spanish, perhaps. But most people who speak Spanish converse well in English too. The same can't be said for Mandarin, I suppose.
Reply 71
There are a few reasons:
1. Lingua Franca; business deals were done in english, although this will change in the next few decades
2. It is BADLY taught in schools; pupils thing of it as a chore, rather than a tool.
3. Some people are too damn lazy to learn another language, and expect other countries to speak english.

:frown:

<3 x
Reply 72
Original post by whyumadtho
Old and young people have the same culture? People in Sevenoaks have the same culture as people in Glasgow? Working class and upper class people have the same culture?

Britain is multicultural, even without the influence of migrants. :h:

How would that help in the learning of languages though? The OP suggested that because of multiculturalism, it should be easier to learn a language. How, when all those different cultures speak the same language - English?
Original post by Infallible
How would that help in the learning of languages though? The OP suggested that because of multiculturalism, it should be easier to learn a language. How, when all those different cultures speak the same language - English?
Oh, I misinterpreted the context of your statement. That said: I agree that the possession of a secondary language consequential to foreign origins will not necessitate the transmission of that language to domestic-born citizens, but I believe the OP was saying people's possession of that language, even if secondary, would make it easier to learn than being around people who do not have a secondary language at all (this is probably what she meant by multiculturalism).
Reply 74
I remember being taught German by a French woman with an awfully thick accent who would often accidentally start speaking French instead of German. :l

My point is that when learning languages at school here, you really don't learn enough. I found my German lessons would go really slowly and it felt very patronising, and I stopped enjoying these lessons. All my friends in different countries started learning English at a really young age, and for example my German friend, -has- to learn English and French - we could stop at GCSE.

It's just not the same for us, and I suppose it is because we just expect people to speak English.
Reply 75
I think Britain is getting better at learning languages. As our country is becoming more diverse, language education is improving. We won't notice changes quickly because it takes a long time to learn languages. I remember in primary school I was allowed to go to a french club and that was our only language education, but now my old primary school actually teaches french and spanish as part of the curriculum and we won't notice this difference until those primary children grow up.

Typically in my sixth form about 2 or 3 students study go on from gcse to a level Japanese but this year there are 16 of us! Across all of the languages offered class size has at least doubled.
Reply 76
Original post by super_dooper
When it comes to foreign languages, the British are an absolute embarrassment. Not many British people can speak another language fluently.

Most people from Europe, Asia, etc can speak 2, 3, 4 or more languages fluently. We Brits are lazy bastards and appallingly bad at foreign languages. You hardly ever meet a British person who can speak anything other than English fluently (and to be honest, a lot of Brits can't even speak English fluently these days....)

So why is this? Britain is a very multi-cultural place these days, so I'd have thought it would be a no-brainer to be able to speak a few languages.

Also, why is it when Brits go abroad, they expect everyone there to speak English? You wouldn't like it if foreigners came here and expected you to speak their language....so why should people abroad be expected to speak English? It's also funny how when Brits move abroad, they STILL don't learn the language of the country they've moved to, despite having lived there for years!

Don't say 'everyone speaks English'. No they don't. English isn't as 'universal' as you make it out to be.

It's mainly down to schools teaching foreign languages in such a way that is boring for people, but it's also the British bad attitude that 'everyone speaks English' when they don't.

I think everyone should make the effort to speak at least one foreign language fluently. Me? I've learned a number of foreign languages....so why don't you? It's fun, good for your brain, and opens up more doors in life for you.

I am a language fanatic myself, but you are wrong. It's not because British people are inherently lazy (although they are somewhat), it's because their language is the most dominant.

Think about it. What are the most widely spoken languages in the world after English? French and Spanish - hence why France and Spain have a high number of monoglots as well (although obviously not as many as the UK/US/Aus/NZ).

If English wasn't the major world language that it is, then I imagine more British people would be able to speak other languages.
Original post by DH-Biker
I speak three Languages fluently and I'm currently learning two more. :dontknow:

Though I do agree, there seem to be so many people who don't even consider the usefulness of a secondary language.

My Dad influenced my descision. He's fluent in 10 languages; but as Head of Security at Rotterdam, he needs that skill. My Mother also speaks two languages, as do my Grandparents on both sides.

I don't think it should be compulsory, but I do think more people should be encouraged to learn a language.

How?

Are people in this thread trying to say that if you learn a language as a teenager, you will never become fluent in it?
Original post by kat91s
I speak four languages, all at least up to A Level. Am I excused?

Even so, I can still go abroad to another country where I don't happen to speak the language, and still look like a lazy Brit.

I grew up bilingual, so I was always ahead of the rest of my French class in school, because I pick up languages very quickly. I'm guessing the problem is that schools don't start at an early enough age for people to learn how to learn a language and that's why even people who try, don't get very far.

Also, it's not encouraging to kids to learn languages when they don't get a choice at school and they receive poor teaching. I've been teaching English in Japan, and they can all read very well, but they can't speak to save their lives. They don't get any speaking practice, or real-life opportunities to use their English. It could be a similar situation in the UK. I studied French for 7 years without the opportunity to go on an exchange or use my language skills.

In many countries, no foreign language can mean no job. Here it's not even a requirement to take it at GCSE anymore.

Examples?
Reply 79
Because 99% of us don't need to speak any other languages? countries in Asia may have many different main languages.

When we go abroad most people will go to a resort where most people are English, and the people living in said resort will speak English because of the tourists since their job/business may require them to speak to English people.

The main reason english is an "International" language is probably because of America...

Also if you want to work as a pilot/air traffic controller you wont get far without speaking English, as they have to speak this even if its in japan and both pilot and air-traffic controller speak Japanese.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending