The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by d_aan
I read a model answer the night before which was very similar to today's question.

I think it depends on how u interpret geographical. I thought geographical could mean economic social and political and environmental but your way works as well:smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

no way! good thinking haha. is there a link to that on here?
i hope so, i stupidly didn't define it in my essay but hopefully they'll get my point
Original post by HotfireLegend
Pretty much what I did -.- (But didn't even mention BRICs, they didn't come to mind)

Bye, A*. Hello, A.

I've been on track for an A* all year and I actually need it for my uni offer, hello insurance choice (Y)

Reply 1982
Original post by Heyimdec
Good luck getting your grades. :smile:

thanks, you too :smile:
Oh no. :frown: I wrote about all 6 types (fissure, shield, composite, acid/dome, caldera, ash/cinder), which plate boundaries they are found out, the lava they produce, their shape and real life examples. Loved that question. :biggrin:

Yes I did haha, I thought to myself; no way am I doing that! :tongue:

How did you find the retail essay?

I Loved the management question + picture so i hope i didnt lose too many marks :frown:

haha, i can never understand the globalisation essays dont understand as to how anyone can do it lol ! (:

retail was really good that was our prediction :P

Have u only got PSYA4 left? because thts my last exam so im dedicating my life to psychology for 5 days then im free :biggrin:
Original post by student1234567891
I've been on track for an A* all year and I actually need it for my uni offer, hello insurance choice (Y)

Same, but I still get into my firm. The gap between me getting an A or A* is ridiculous - 97%UMS + for A* but only something like 58% for A. (As a B in this paper will still get me an A)
Reply 1985
I've just come to the conclusion today that essays are not for me, I write relevant things but in the most unstructured way! How harsh to they mark the essay? Do they take into account the fact we have like an hour to do it :/
Reply 1986
Original post by rjones13
Same, what did you include in the weather essay?

I talked about how the ITCZ and the high air pressure creates the climate in SE Asia and gave diagrams. I also talked about tropical cyclones which occur which are caused by the ITCZ and the sub tropical anticyclones.

What about you?
Did anyone do the Ecosystems 40 marker or am I the only one? :tongue:
Original post by VanessaXD
I Loved the management question + picture so i hope i didnt lose too many marks :frown:

haha, i can never understand the globalisation essays dont understand as to how anyone can do it lol ! (:

retail was really good that was our prediction :P

Have u only got PSYA4 left? because thts my last exam so im dedicating my life to psychology for 5 days then im free :biggrin:

Yeah tectonics structured were nice. :smile:

A few people did it from my school, they said they found it ok. Rather them than me!
Yessss, retail. :biggrin: I found it ok, couldn't remember many figures though.

I have PSYA4, GEO4A, BIOL5 and 2 general studies left. :frown: How about you?
Original post by DavidCrow
Relatively easy paper, high grade boundaries expected I think unfortunately.

Weather:

a) Photo of anticyclonic conditions - mentioned wind speeds with relation to hot air balloons, cloud types cirrus/cirrostratus, relation to sinking air, mentioned haze, advection/radiation fog

b) Depressions - easy question. Didn't mention how they ended though because it only wanted you to outline their formation and movement over the British Isles.

c) Great Storm 1987 - pretty easy just mentioned all the impacts and responses

Tectonics Essay:

Harder than expected but very similar to the mock, tweaked it for the distribution. Mentioned Wegener, continental fit, palaeomagnetism, convection currents, sea floor spreading, and relation to the types of margin and earthquakes and volcanoes formed at each. Evaluation - the fact that tectonic theory does not explain intra-plate earthquakes and to some extent hot spots. Conclusion - theory does help to explain understanding all we need to do is explain intra-plate EQ and then we'll have a perfect understanding, useful for the next generation of geography students :tongue:

World Cities:

a) Comment question on the text of Freiburg - relatively easy just picked out the bits about how it was a sustainable city and bits about how it wasn't and what it could do to improve

b) Waste management - wrote this down easy, the waste management hierarchy (although did not mention the pros and cons as this was not required)

c) Partnership schemes in Hulme City - mentioned what Challenge Partnerships are, put in Hulme, then evaluated the scheme with positives and negatives.

Overall relatively straight forward although the tectonics essay was harder than usual imo

Just because you found it easy doesnt mean the grade boundaries will high :s-smilie:

There are alot of people who found it tough.... and theres alot of people who may thought it was easy and still **** it up so you cant stay grade boundaries will be high :frown:
Original post by HotfireLegend
Same, but I still get into my firm. The gap between me getting an A or A* is ridiculous - 97%UMS + for A* but only something like 58% for A. (As a B in this paper will still get me an A)

Same, I need a C this year for an A :frown: so unfair, can't believe how badly I screwed up, how harsh are they on these essays?

Reply 1991
Original post by rosey76
what did people write for the world cities essay? im not sure if i focused too much on OOT shopping centres.. what that still get marks? im panicking :frown:

I also did a lot on oot shopping although i also talked about how cbd's have been redeveloped to counter this.
Original post by jayeshchhaya
Just because you found it easy doesnt mean the grade boundaries will high :s-smilie:

There are alot of people who found it tough.... and theres alot of people who may thought it was easy and still **** it up so you cant stay grade boundaries will be high :frown:

It wasn't THAT easy, just relatively easy compared to past papers. I mean weather was straight forward if you'd revised anticyclones, depressions and the storm
Original post by jayeshchhaya

Exactly. The grade boundaries for this paper have always been low (average 62% for an A). The fact that OP has an offer for Geography at Oxford suggests he's a very high ability candidate and was likely to find it easy. Judging from this thread, most people found it hard!
Yeah tectonics structured were nice. :smile:

A few people did it from my school, they said they found it ok. Rather them than me!
Yessss, retail. :biggrin: I found it ok, couldn't remember many figures though.

I have PSYA4, GEO4A, BIOL5 and 2 general studies left. :frown: How about you?

awesome, i tried to give my opinion as much as possible because they love that :P

You can do it :biggrin: we did geog4B in January and david practically gave all the questions he made them so obvious lol

Just got psychology (:
Original post by DavidCrow
It wasn't THAT easy, just relatively easy compared to past papers. I mean weather was straight forward if you'd revised anticyclones, depressions and the storm

Fair enough but not everyone did weather.....
Seems fair to me, the instructions on the front are not difficult to understand. :tongue:

Edit: Why are you negging me? Sorry if you answered a wrong section. :s-smilie:

Exactly :P and thats a bit harsh people negging you :s-smilie: I didn't neg you btw :smile:
what did people write for the photograph in the development/globalisation section? and what case studies used for the economic vs environmental sustainability? found this section quite hard!
Reply 1998
Original post by VanessaXD
awesome, i tried to give my opinion as much as possible because they love that :P

Really? We were always told never to use "I" in the exam at our college, and to keep from being bias on anything.
Reply 1999
Original post by Grenville
Exactly. The grade boundaries for this paper have always been low (average 62% for an A). The fact that OP has an offer for Geography at Oxford suggests he's a very high ability candidate and was likely to find it easy. Judging from this thread, most people found it hard!

Im going to study geography at Sussex, though nowhere near comparable to Oxford, and I found parts hard. The picture on the plate tectonics, WHAT THE HELL. So vague.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending