The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by farrar
Got a 40/40 answer for this question if anyone is interested!

'The hazards presented by volcanic and seismic events have the greatest impact on the
world’s poorest people'. To what extent do you agree with this view?

Hey

Do you still have this essay?

If you do please can you send it to me?

Thanks x
Original post by Stoof
I just did a 40 marker very similar to this earlier today. I introduced tectonic theory and outlined what it was (i.e. different plate types, convection currents/cells etc). Followed this by two paragraphs on how seismic and volcanic effects support plate tectonic theory. In the volcanic paragraph for example, I described the distribution of volcanoes around areas such as the Pacific ring of fire and explained how without movement at the boundaries around the Pacific, volcanoes such as Mt St Helens and Pinatubo would not simply not be volcanoes, as they would have no 'fuel' caused by the subduction of an oceanic plate under a continental plate.

I then followed this with an opposing argument, stating that whilst seismic and volcanic events do provide a degree of evidence toward plate tectonic theory, there is much stronger evidence that shows the plates have been moving over millions of years, rather than just showing us that they are moving today. This was followed by a paragraph explaining how Wagnar's theory of continental drift and the evidence he provided (Jigsaw continents, biological geological evidence etc) supports plate tectonic theory, and then a second paragraph on sea floor spreading (discovery of the MAR, palaeomagnetism etc) and how this supports the theory.

Best way to conclude would to be with your own opinion. Hope that helps!

Also, our teacher today was saying that when she met the chief examiner, she pointed out to him something she has noticed. He tends to put hard questions/unexpected questions on the January papers (when hardly anyone takes it, so no one can complain), and will then put a similar question on the summer paper. Apparently he didn't contest this, and seeing as a question in relation to plate tectonic theory+evidence was on the January paper this could be a possibility after the plethora of past case study based questions.

Have you got a model answer for this?? x
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE LOOK AT THIS ESSAY AND GIVE THERE THOUGHTS, MY TEACHER NEVER MARKS THEM AND WANT TO KNOW WHAT IM DOING RIGHT/WRONG!

would be useful to know how other people write 40 markers as well :wink: :smile:
Original post by sebanthony
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE LOOK AT THIS ESSAY AND GIVE THERE THOUGHTS, MY TEACHER NEVER MARKS THEM AND WANT TO KNOW WHAT IM DOING RIGHT/WRONG!

would be useful to know how other people write 40 markers as well :wink: :smile:

sure, but why are you shouting?
Original post by RyanB184
sure, but why are you shouting?

whats the point in commenting if your not gonna mark it ffs :frown: :frown:
Original post by sebanthony
whats the point in commenting if your not gonna mark it ffs :frown: :frown:

I think it's really good, 40
Original post by RyanB184
I think it's really good, 40

awh bbe your so cutes thankyou xxxxxxxxxx
it's fine xoxo

Quick Reply