The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
@ LGrosvenor101

I'm not doing World Cities as I'm personally more interested in G & D but have done it in school. I'd recommend London Docklands, New East Manchester, Birmingham and Thames Gateway as the top ones :smile:
Original post by buildalegohouse
Just reading everyone's predictions :smile:
I'd love anything to do with sustainable tourism/ecotourism/TNCs/Trade blocs for the essay question (though judging by the past papers this is pretty unlikely. I will actually cry if a question on NICs came up.) As for plate tectonics and world cities, I'm not fussed, though I have revised retailing until the cows come home.

I'm doing a very stupid thin for the exam. I don't know about other people, but we're taught four topics:
-world cities
-globalisation
-plate tectonics
-ecosystems.
I've done ZERO revision for ecosystems (I just don't get any of it) which means I don't have a back-up if the questions are awful.

I reckon ecosystems is the easiest topic, the theory is really simple and not much different to pre-GCSE biology and questions about global biodiversity/conservation are a dream (especially for those synopticity marks). Suppose it depends what you personally like though :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Oh and I REALLY hope the tectonics essay is on plate tectonic theory, that's the stuff I read about in my free time :P although I supposed the extent of human and physical factors for earthquakes/volcanoes would be good too.
Reply 763
Busy day today, plan to consolidate my plate tectonic case studies and go through past exam questions on PT before moving on to Weather in the afternoon:colone:
Original post by lukas1051
Oh and I REALLY hope the tectonics essay is on plate tectonic theory, that's the stuff I read about in my free time :P although I supposed the extent of human and physical factors for earthquakes/volcanoes would be good too.

We've already had a plate tectonics essay though? And short questions? We've hardly had any essay questions which are just concerning earthquakes :smile:
Reply 765
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Hey, I'm just wondering, but if you are definitley doing World Cities as your short answer questions (as I only do 1 human and 2 physical topics), what case studies do you recommend, and to what depth shall I know them? I've got quite a few, but I don't really know which ones I should really be learning? thanks :smile:

I think i'm doing this for data response too!
London Docklands, cardiff bay and maybe about the london olympics - legacy etc... partnerships so like east gateshead and hulme city.
Out of town retailing so maybe meadow hall and all the ones like that
dharavi, mumbai etc.. for slums and conditions
waste and management - dhaka's transport (about the bikes) and Nairobi then about the metrolink maybe or the super tram thing!
I found for world cities there are SO many case studies its unreal:frown:
Original post by d_aan
Busy day today, plan to consolidate my plate tectonic case studies and go through past exam questions on PT before moving on to Weather in the afternoon:colone:

*high five* pretty much the same, going through case studies! :biggrin:
Reply 767
Original post by scared!
So like physical factors which caused the earthquake or led to it? and human factors to the extent in which the country was it?

so not talking effects really? :L sorry for confusing!

You have to talk about effects and impacts and how they were influenced by physical factors.

One good example/case study is the Montseratt eruption. It was predicted that the volcano would erupt which led to evacuation . Some zones were banned and some were declared as safe. However the wind direction led to the the ash falling on zones deemed to be safe. This gave the people a false sense of security meaning that people who were living on those areas were harmed.

Human Factors
Physical Factors

You have constantly link human and physical factors to go into level 4.

In your conclusion you have to summarise how the <keyword> in the question affected the outcome of the seismic event.
For conflicts, could a 40 marker come up on multicultural societies?
Reply 769
Original post by Sagga
You have to talk about effects and impacts and how they were influenced by physical factors.

One good example/case study is the Montseratt eruption. It was predicted that the volcano would erupt which led to evacuation . Some zones were banned and some were declared as safe. However the wind direction led to the the ash falling on zones deemed to be safe. This gave the people a false sense of security meaning that people who were living on those areas were harmed.

Human Factors
Physical Factors

You have constantly link human and physical factors to go into level 4.

In your conclusion you have to summarise how the <keyword> in the question affected the outcome of the seismic event.

could you give me an example based on a earthquake? I think i get it.. thankyou for your help! x
Reply 770
world cities two questionsss-

what would you use for the decentralisation of retailing and other services - causes and impacts

&

contrasting case studies within countries at different levels of economic development to demonstrate urbanisation processes?
Reply 771
Hello there

I am doing Tectonics Development and Globalisation and Conflicts and since i originate from Cyprus and i am very familiar with conflicts i think i will answer the 40 mark question on that chapter.
If possible i would like some tips on how to answer 40 mark questions on that chapter but also id like your opinion regarding my plan which is basicly to go through all of the case studies and have a strong knowledge of them to apply in the 40 mark question rather than revising the general syllabus of the chapter
Original post by Bornblue
For conflicts, could a 40 marker come up on multicultural societies?

my teacher predicts either multicultural societies or international conflict for the essay, neither have come up as an essay before :smile:
Reply 773
What do people thinks gonna come up for the 40 mark; Globilisation and World City essays? Thannk you :smile:
Reply 774
Original post by LGrosvenor101
*high five* pretty much the same, going through case studies! :biggrin:

Today i'm going hard on revision! Just finished covering Earthquakes and Tsunamis - I have about 7 different earthquakes which is over kill but you can never have too many :biggrin:
Original post by d_aan
Today i'm going hard on revision! Just finished covering Earthquakes and Tsunamis - I have about 7 different earthquakes which is over kill but you can never have too many :biggrin:

Oh yes, come join the geography hard core revision club! and thats a lot of earthquakes! I've got my main Sichuan and Japan, but also have my Indian Boxing Day Tsunami at the moment! What other earthquakes do you have then? :L
Does anybody know if we need to know about El Nino and La Nina for weather and climate? Doesnt seem to be in the specification but i've heard we need to know it. Any thoughts??
Original post by smellycat123
Does anybody know if we need to know about El Nino and La Nina for weather and climate? Doesnt seem to be in the specification but i've heard we need to know it. Any thoughts??

Hey, my teacher taught it to us, but only as additional information :smile: Its not in the spec or the textbook, so we don't need to know it :smile:
Reply 778
Doing plate tectonics case studies, I have:

Chaiten, Chile
Mount Etna, Sicily

Indonesian Tsunami
Japanese Tsunami

Sichuan, China
Reply 779
Original post by smellycat123

It's been mentioned in passing in my notes, but it's not in much detail, just as an example of changes in ocean temperature

So i don't think we need to know about it really

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending