The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A F322 Chains, Energy and Resources Wed 23 May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by thescientist17
Please could someone explain this question to me?

Ah, I've just done this, what part do you need help with, construct your Hess cycle - arrows pointing up and then add in the values from the table

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 581

for combustion, its the sum of the enthalpy changes of the reactants minus the sum of the enthalpy changes of the products.
Reply 582
Original post by Coolina133
noo.. because they have less van der waal forces between the molecules due to less molecular contact and decreased surface area.. so they have a lower BP

That's what I meant but I was just too lazy to type it out, less and weaker VdW forces I think either are fine to use, if the molecules are further apart then they will have less of an attraction.

Original post by rany345
whats the difference in steroisomers and structural isomers , can you give examples aswell :smile:

structural isomers have the same molecular formular but different structural
eg, prop-2-ene and prop-1-ene
or like butene and cyclobutane

stero: have same structural formaula but a different arrangement of atoms in space so like cis/trans isomerism
where in an alkene, each carbon atomhas 2 different groups on them but in cis and trans there must be 2 hydrogens but on different carbons
there e/z which is just each carbon having 2 different groups on each
e and trans are opposite sides
ciz and z are same side
Original post by otrivine
yes i know that :wink: thanks but the question only wanted define:boltzman

See my edit. :wink:

That is an odd question... Boltzmann was a physicist.

EDIT - just read the original question: In decribing a Boltzmann Distribution graph, you want to say what the axes are and what the curve tells you - there is no need to give a particular example. A Boltzmann Distribution shows the no. of molecules with a particular energy plotted against energy. It shows the distribution of energies within a population of molecules and the area under the curve represents the total population of molecules. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 585
Original post by kevloui
ahha no problem :wink:

Another: a calculator and periodic table is needed.
In an experiment 15.22g of NH4SCN is reacted with slightly excess Ba(OH)2. The reaction absorbs energy, cooling the 50.0g of water from 29.9C to 10.9C

i)Calculate the energy absorbed in kJ during this reaction.
Specific heat capacity of water = 4.2g-1k-1 (2)

ii) Calculate the amount in moles of NH4SCN used by the chemist. (1)

iii) Calculate the enthalpy change of reaction. Include the sign in your answer. Give answer to 2 sig fig.

Awful at this, is it bad that I STILL don't know what a sf is? I feel so infantile.

1)
4.2*50*19= -3990kj

2)
15.22/76.1= 0.2

3)
0.2/3990= +19.95

I think :smile:
Reply 586

If you're using formation values (not combustion) you do (enthalpy of products)-(enthalpy of reactants).
So,
[6(-394)+6(-286)]-[(-1250)+6(0)]=-4080-(-1250)=-2830 kj/mol

Enthalpy change of formation of O2 is 0 because to form oxygen you need to start from oxygen, which is the same thing, so not enthalpy change.

Combustion enthalpy changes are always negative so that's one way to check your answer is reasonable.
Reply 587
Original post by maths_lover
see my edit. :wink:

that is an odd question... Boltzmann was a physicist.

lolmygosh
Original post by biomagic
Awful at this, is it bad that I STILL don't know what a sf is? I feel so infantile.

1)
4.2*50*19= -3990kj

2)
15.22/76.1= 0.2

3)
0.2/3990= +19.95

ask me question
Reply 589
Original post by kevloui
for combustion, its the sum of the enthalpy changes of the reactants minus the sum of the enthalpy changes of the products.

No it's the other way round for combustion it's -(reactants)+(products). In other words products minus reactants, if you do it your way you get a positive value.

Original post by uttamo
If you're using formation values (not combustion) you do (enthalpy of products)-(enthalpy of reactants).
So,
[6(-394)+6(-286)]-[(-1250)+6(0)]=-4080-(-1250)=-2830 kj/mol

Enthalpy change of formation of O2 is 0 because to form oxygen you need to start from oxygen, which is the same thing, so not enthalpy change.

Combustion enthalpy changes are always negative so that's one way to check your answer is reasonable.

Oh okay thank you I forgot about O2 having no enthalpy change as it's an element! Makes sense now :smile:
lolmygosh

:tongue:

I read your original question: "Describe a Boltzmann Distribution" and it made more sense. I thought that being asked to "Define Boltzmann" would be very odd indeed. :lol:
Original post by D4rth
Ah, I've just done this, what part do you need help with, construct your Hess cycle - arrows pointing up and then add in the values from the table

Cycle!?
Reply 593

1)
4.2*50*19= -3990kj

2)
15.22/76.1= 0.2

3)
0.2/3990= +19.95

2/6
close you have to divide the first answer you got by 1000 to get the answer in kJ. The answer you have there is in J.
Your mole calculation is correct.
For the last one its q/n, so the enthalpy change is divided by the moles, you got them mixed up, but the sign in front of your number is correct being endothermic, it is positive :smile:
Original post by kevloui
2/6
close you have to divide the first answer you got by 1000 to get the answer in kJ. The answer you have there is in J.
For the last one its q/n, so the enthalpy change is divided by the moles, you got them mixed up, but the sign in front of your number is correct being endothermic, it is positive :smile:

ask me question :wink:
Original post by narli
has bond enthalpy and average bond enthalpy got the same definition??

well the 'average' part comes from the fact that bond enthalpies differ for a particular bond depending on its environment i.e. the other atoms and bonds around it so an average bond enthalpy is taken to reflect those differences

e.g. c-H bond is in almost all organic molecules but depending on whats around it the bond enthalpy is different
Reply 596
Original post by otrivine
ask me question

Uses of scC02?
How is scC02 created
Give me 5 main things a green chemist would LOVE in terms of being sustainable
Reply 597
where did that guy with the f322 revision notes and the markscheme go!! :'(

edit: dont worry, i found what i was looking for :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 598
Cycle!?

Ignore me - your teacher has taught it in a different way, the method is exactly the same but my teacher insists on us drawing a Hess cycle as it's more correct or something? Not sure exactly why but do it the way you know.

Reply 599
Original post by kevloui
2/6

Thank you! I'm going to work on this! Just silly mistakes really :/

I've posted some questions previously, if you'd want to answer those you could! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending