The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A F322 Chains, Energy and Resources Wed 23 May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ss2012
Gonna learn word to word what you just said!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Loooool! you do that :biggrin:
Original post by ss2012
What parts of green chemistry do we have to learn? I dislike it. And I don't know where to start from :/

Okai..leme try help you so basically..i hate it to but anywaisz...
You firstly have to learn abotu Global warming. i'm going to try and some it all up for you so here goes:
tehre are three main greenhouse gases, these are CH4, c02 and waterwapour
C02 is from volcanic eruptions and form respiration of all animals
CH4 is emeited by realeased by cowsas a by-product of ther digestion
form prodcution of coal, natural gas etc
and water vapour is fromed form the evaporation of ocean and lakes.
these gases absorb ir radiaiton causing molecules to vibrating reemitin some of it back to the earths urface

3 main factors about greenhouse gases and how they affect atmospher:
1)atmospheric oncetration
2)lifetime in atmosphere
3)ability to absorb Ir radiation
Youlso need to nkow th definiton of greenhous eefect which i dont know yet lol but if this is helpful then il carry on...Ill be back! :smile:
Original post by browb003
Hi everyone, I have made some past paper booklets on the topics in this unit, if anyone would like to have a collection that they could go through or focus on a specific topic :smile: If you want a booklet on a more specific topic than the ones I've uploaded (as they may be a bit broad still) then don't hesitate to ask and I can make one. (I converted some to pdf to make the file small enough to upload in one piece)

Thank you so muchhh!!!!!!! :smile::smile:
Reply 163
Original post by Fatima0065
Okai..leme try help you so basically..i hate it to but anywaisz...
You firstly have to learn abotu Global warming. i'm going to try and some it all up for you so here goes:
tehre are three main greenhouse gases, these are CH4, c02 and waterwapour
C02 is from volcanic eruptions and form respiration of all animals
CH4 is emeited by realeased by cowsas a by-product of ther digestion
form prodcution of coal, natural gas etc
and water vapour is fromed form the evaporation of ocean and lakes.
these gases absorb ir radiaiton causing molecules to vibrating reemitin some of it back to the earths urface

3 main factors about greenhouse gases and how they affect atmospher:
1)atmospheric oncetration
2)lifetime in atmosphere
3)ability to absorb Ir radiation
Youlso need to nkow th definiton of greenhous eefect which i dont know yet lol but if this is helpful then il carry on...Ill be back! :smile:

Thankyou so much!

Original post by ss2012
Thankyou so much!

Am i actually helping you lol??? if yes il carry on tomorow u'' be able 2 geh it done it about a day and half to say the leastnyways..im tired so im going to slepp lol :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 165
Anyone have the january 2012 f322 paper they can send me?
Reply 166
Original post by ReTurd

I have the paper itself from college and its written on , I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find the paper somewhere on here if you search it :smile:
Reply 167
Original post by ReTurd

Hey mate, I've got it on a file as well as the mark scheme.
I could email it to you if you like?
Reply 168
Original post by HamzahK21

Hi. yeah that would be great.
Are you able to upload it onto here or PM me it as an attatchment to the message.
I have the mark scheme but not the paper. i spent ages searching for it everywhere, but whenever i find a search reult with the file on there the post has been deleted or the thead closed. Maybe the tsr mods dont like it or something
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 169
Original post by HamzahK21

Can you mail it to me aswell? :biggrin:
Original post by ReTurd

Go to page 5 of this thread...its there :smile:
Reply 171
Can someone tell me how to balance the oxygens in complete combustion of alcohols please :]
Reply 172
Original post by Bright
Can someone tell me how to balance the oxygens in complete combustion of alcohols please :]

yeah for example:

C2H5OH(l) + O2(g) =Heat=> CO2(g) + H2O(g)

there's 2 Carbons on left and so 2 carbons on right, then 6 H on left so you need 3 H on right.. then now FIRST add up all oxygens on RIGHT side which is 4 +3 = 7
soo..
C2H5OH(l) + O2(g) =Heat=> 2 CO2(g) + 3 H2O(g)

THEN look at how many oxygens there on ethanol ..there's only 1 oxygen .. so you know on left side of equation (the 02 = needs to be 6 as 1 + 6 = 7).. since 02 is 2 oxygen atoms ..just do 6 divide by 2 = 3

so the answer would be:

C2H5OH(l) + 3 O2(g) =Heat=> 2 CO2(g) + 3 H2O(g)

hope that helped??
Reply 173
Original post by Raj K
yeah for example:

C2H5OH(l) + O2(g) =Heat=> CO2(g) + H2O(g)

there's 2 Carbons on left and so 2 carbons on right, then 6 H on left so you need 3 H on right.. then now FIRST add up all oxygens on RIGHT side which is 4 +3 = 7
soo..
C2H5OH(l) + O2(g) =Heat=> 2 CO2(g) + 3 H2O(g)

THEN look at how many oxygens there on ethanol ..there's only 1 oxygen .. so you know on left side of equation (the 02 = needs to be 6 as 1 + 6 = 7).. since 02 is 2 oxygen atoms ..just do 6 divide by 2 = 3

so the answer would be:

C2H5OH(l) + 3 O2(g) =Heat=> 2 CO2(g) + 3 H2O(g)

hope that helped??

This one is ok but I get a bit confused when you have to start using fractions..
Reply 174
Original post by Bright
This one is ok but I get a bit confused when you have to start using fractions..

oh it will be the same thing really for example if the total of 02 was 9 then ..i would just have to divide by 2 so it would be 4 1/2 (4 and a half)
Reply 175
Describe ways that research chemists are trying to minimise climate change resulting from global warming caused by the release of greenhouse gases

can someone help me on that plz :smile: ? x
Reply 176
Original post by Asyfa
Describe ways that research chemists are trying to minimise climate change resulting from global warming caused by the release of greenhouse gases

can someone help me on that plz :smile: ? x

think it's this:
(i) using industrial processes that reduce
or eliminate hazardous chemicals and
which involve the use of fewer
chemicals,
(ii) designing processes with a high atom
economy that minimise the production
of waste materials,
(iii) using renewable resources such as
plant-based substances,
(iv) seeking alternative energy sources
such as solar energy, rather than
consuming finite resources such as
fossil fuels that will eventually be
exhausted,
(v) ensuring that any waste products
produced are non-toxic, and can be
recycled or biodegraded by being
broken down into harmless substances
in the environment;
Anyone know what raw mark got full ums in June 2011?
Reply 178
can someone help me with this question please:
the equation is:

CH3CH2CH2CH20H (BUTAN-1-OL) + CH3COOH >>>> CH3COOCH2CH2CH2CH3 (BUTYL ETHANOATE) + H20

then it says percentage yield is 67%.

Show that percentage yield of the process is 67.1 % and they've stated that there's 6.25g of butan-1-ol and 6.57g of butyl ethanoate.

i tried doing (n=mass/molar mass) for each then doing actual/theoretical etc for % yield but i couldnt get 67.1 % please help!
Hey,

You do have the correct idea, maybe its going wrong with what your working out? Your not including water or anything right?
Basically, first work out the moles of butan-1-ol and butyl ethanoate. Now if you look at the equation, ideally your supposed to get the same amount in moles right cos its in 1:1 ratio? But its not going to be so with the moles your going to get you apply the formula, with actual yield being that of what you actually got (moles of butyl ethanoate) divided by theoretical (moles of butan-1-ol) That help? Try again now and you should get it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending