The Student Room Group

What languages do you speak?

Scroll to see replies

Deutsch (fluent)
English (fluent)
বাঙ্গালী (Bengali -fluent but illiterate)
Français (beginner)

I want to learn español or العربية and am going to try and self teach myself one of the two as it might become very useful for the kind of job I want to do in the future, but I doubt i'll be able to because I lack motivation :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Fluent in English Intermediate in British Sign Language Begginer in French German and Dutch and the odd word in some others :smile:
Reply 62
I'm fluent in English and am probably intermediate (A2 level) in French and Spanish! I'd love to be fluent in French and Spanish one day! :biggrin:
English :smile: Intermediate French (IB SL) and Intermediate Arabic :smile:
I think English is a given, but I'm learning German, Icelandic and Latin (although we don't learn to speak Latin). :biggrin:
Original post by lotsofq
I don't understand your comment re Mandarin subs. I thought what one says in Mandarin is what one writes (unlike Cantonese) or am I mistaken? If so, Mandarin subs don't exist?

Young HK-ers are amazing being tri-lingual, though their spoken English is still accented. How well do you know HK?

What I meant was mandarin subs and cantonese subs are used in Hong Kong. Well Cantonese and Mandarin is a different language all the together. Mandarin subs do exist.

Well i travel there alot (well since I was a young up until now - I usually visit HK every 2 years) but I always think I only just scratched the surface.
My first language was French but I can barely speak that now.
English (Native) Punjabi (Fluent) Hindi (Basic) German (Basic - GCSE) Spanish (Intermediate) and the smallest amount of Italian and Latin lol.

I would love to be able to expand my Italian and German, and I really want to lean Arabic!!
Intermediate German
Beginner Russian
Beginner Japanese
Intermediate Latin (probably)
Very Beginner Spanish

:ahee:
Reply 68
Arabic - native
English - fluent
French - beginner
:smile:
Reply 69
English (Native), French (Intermediate to A2), Spanish (Intermediate to AS), Japanese (Beginner), Croatian (Beginner) and I am able to understand Portuguese and bits of Italian. :]
Reply 70
English- Fluent
Gujrati- Fluent
Urdu-Fluent
Arabic-Fluent
French-Enough to barter with Moroccan stall owners
German- Good Morning,Good Afternoon, Sorry, Thank You
Punjabi- Vaguely
Reply 71
Swedish (fluent/native), English (fluent), Spanish (intermediate), Cantonese (native, but have forgotten a lot).

I understand Norwegian, written Danish and some Mandarin Chinese.
Fluent English,
Fluent Urdu, some Hindi
Little Punjabi

In the Future, Would like to learn Mandarin.:smile::biggrin:
Reply 73
norwegian
english
arabic (intermediate)
spanish (intermediate)

I can understand and speak mock-swedish, danish and icelandic.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by aneemilie
norwegian
english
arabic (intermediate)
spanish (intermediate)

I can understand and speak mock-swedish, danish and icelandic.

What does the Swedish language sound like to a Norwegian?
(edited 12 years ago)
English....

One day I hope to learn another. Judging how French went though, it doesn't look great. :s-smilie:
English - native
Irish - was C1ish but it's deteriorated through lack of use and probably slipped back to B2. I'll be doing some work on it over the summer to bring it up again and intend to be much more conscientious about it in the future :ashamed2:
French - B1/B2
German - A2 (CEFR not A level)
Biblical Hebrew - GCSE
Latin - A level
Greek - A level
hoping to start on sanskrit, aramaic, spanish and russian this summer :pierre:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 77
English (fluent) and American-English (also fluent due to lack of revising and procrastination involving many, MANY films) :smile:
English (native) and Spanish (Intermediate-A2) are the ones I'd say I can speak.

I can understand French (GCSE - went to France with some friends and I was the one who did the speaking and we managed well). I want to get back into French at some point though.
Reply 79
Original post by vwsl93
How does the Swedish language sound to a Norwegian?

jettesnygt

swedish sounds kind of feminine compared to norwegian. haha, hard to explain. but swedish is at least the most beautiful scandinavian language.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending