The Student Room Group

Do you think we're too accommodating to obese people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimbo1234
:facepalm:
Why am I having to explain such a simple thing. Ever thought that you have to work, possibly live, and be part of a society made up of these people? And in a society in which being lazy or an emotional train wreck is accepted, this will cause major issues such as depression. Now picture a work office in which 50% of the people are depressed and you have to work their, and then tell me that you are not suffering because of that.

And weight gain from these meds can still be prevented with exercise, although when people see old folks who are large, most people are smart enough to realise that meds are normally involved.

Yes but the point of the thread was punching them! Is there seriously any need for that? Of course not. And I said if you scroll up, I said that if an obese person genuinely is doing nothing about their life then while it is indeed annoying, what's the point in punching them? The whole point of the thread anyway was the OP saying he wanted to punch obese people for being in their mind ugly and big. And why have you gone off on a tangent about depression? :s-smilie:

As for Beebumble's nan, she was obviously on steroids due to illness, where exercise is the last thing in your mind.

I really cannot believe I'm having to argue this. lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 81
how about obese people using mobility scooters??
I would say that we are too accommodating to some overweight people. When I read stories about people who are hugely overweight,and can't even do anything for themselves, and yet they have carers who get them their McDonalds, or their chippy and lots of coke. That to me is completely bonkers. If you are so overweight that you can't do anything for yourself and you need a carer, then I really think they should be giving you healthy food, with controlled portion sizes.

So yes we are too accommodating to those who are overweight, can't do anything for themselves, yet they are still given massive amounts of unhealthy food.

Apart from that, then I wouldn't say we are too accommodating.
Original post by Dan1909
My point is that if you explained it to him, he probably would hold back from his desire to punch them. That's assuming his desire to punch them is not purely down to how they look, which if it is, then yeah, he'll still want to punch them regardless of why they're obese.

Why should someone have to explain themselves to avoid being punched.:confused:

You can't go around judging people because don't know their situation. You want every obese person to walk around with a sign explaining why they're like that?
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
I would say that we are too accommodating to some overweight people. When I read stories about people who are hugely overweight,and can't even do anything for themselves, and yet they have carers who get them their McDonalds, or their chippy and lots of coke. That to me is completely bonkers. If you are so overweight that you can't do anything for yourself and you need a carer, then I really think they should be giving you healthy food, with controlled portion sizes.

So yes we are too accommodating to those who are overweight, can't do anything for themselves, yet they are still given massive amounts of unhealthy food.

Apart from that, then I wouldn't say we are too accommodating.

This I agree with. It makes me so mad when I see people on the TV who are so overweight they can't get out of bed and then the people they live with just give them crap to eat. It's basically abuse!
Original post by Petro_99
how about obese people using mobility scooters??

Mobility scooters are quite dangerous anyway. I remember an old man died near my school because the breaks wouldn't stop in time for the lights and he went smashing into a lorry.:frown:
Original post by Beebumble
This I agree with. It makes me so mad when I see people on the TV who are so overweight they can't get out of bed and then the people they live with just give them crap to eat. It's basically abuse!

I know! It is just so silly! You would think that those who live with these people would want their condition to improve so they wouldn't die young, have lots of health problems etc. I don't know why they don't prepare them healthy meals!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 87
Why should someone have to explain themselves to avoid being punched.:confused:

You can't go around judging people because don't know their situation. You want every obese person to walk around with a sign explaining why they're like that?

I think you're entirely missing the point of what I'm saying.

First off, it's not me who is advocating punching fatties. The point I was trying to make was that the problem the OP has against obese people probably (as in I am assuming, based on what has has said) does not extend to those who did not inflict in on themselves by overeating.
Original post by Jabberwox
Yes but the point of the thread was punching them! Is there seriously any need for that? Of course not. And I said if you scroll up, I said that if an obese person genuinely is doing nothing about their life then while it is indeed annoying, what's the point in punching them? The whole point of the thread anyway was the OP saying he wanted to punch obese people for being in their mind ugly and big. And why have you gone off on a tangent about depression? :s-smilie:

As for Beebumble's nan, she was obviously on steroids due to illness, where exercise is the last thing in your mind.

I really cannot believe I'm having to argue this. lol

Actually you need to go back and read the OP.
He wants to punch them, but his question was whether or not society should shun fat people, and I said we should. As for my point about depression, it is not off tangent but utterly relevant as being fat and depression always come together. No one is fat because they are happy and have their life under control.

Sometimes illness is going to be prolonged so you need to figure out how to do some exercise. To ever say it is the last thing on your mind is very worrying.
Reply 89
I think we should definitely stop saying it's ok to be fat. People are getting bigger and bigger all the time, but society is now looking at it at an angle that says it's kinda ok. I think adverts like the Dove real beauty campaign and stuff have been really good at promoting self esteem in bigger women, but on the other hand it's also telling people that it's ok to be big. I really think that instead of making obesity more acceptable in society, the focus should really be on just educating people more about healthy food options and exercise and really getting those that are obese to start moving.

Carers really should be giving out healthy food portions and those who don't have carers really should be educated. Same goes for new parents. Parents should be educated on how to raise their children healthily so the tendency for children to become obese decreases. I know when I was a kid I was doing exercise every day. Running, swimming, tennis, riding and yes I know people might say well we can't afford to send our kids to all those lessons, but it is possible to take kids for a walk on a Saturday afternoon instead of letting them sit there playing video games all day and you can all go for a family bike ride on a Sunday as well instead of sitting down with crisps in front of the tv. It's small life choices like that that can really make a difference. That's what I think anyways...
Original post by Jimbo1234
Actually you need to go back and read the OP.
He wants to punch them, but his question was whether or not society should shun fat people, and I said we should. As for my point about depression, it is not off tangent but utterly relevant as being fat and depression always come together. No one is fat because they are happy and have their life under control.

Sometimes illness is going to be prolonged so you need to figure out how to do some exercise. To ever say it is the last thing on your mind is very worrying.

So obese people should be shunned from society and we should look down upon them and not help them or have anything to do with them? And has it occurred to you some fat people might be depressed because of the remarks they get and threads such as these?

It depends on which illness it is. Illness + steroids = obesity, and being obese means exercise isn't always feasible. It's a vicious circle.
(edited 12 years ago)
You really think children pay less because they don't way the bus down?:facepalm:

Obviously that isn't the main reason but It's probably a contributing factor if you think about it. I wasn't really being serious though.
Original post by Philbert
How on earth does being skinny make you obnoxious? What makes you sure they can "eat whatever they want and stay thin?" What a ridiculous thing to say.

When did I say that all skinny people were obnoxious? Some of them just annoy me. They never stop eating junk food and they just don't put on weight and then they'll make jokes about fat people who don't eat half of what they do.
Original post by Jabberwox
So obese people should be shunned from society and we should look down upon them and not help them or have anything to do with them? And has it occurred to you some fat people might be depressed because of the remarks they get and threads such as these?

It depends on which illness it is. Illness + steroids = obesity, and being obese means exercise isn't always feasible. It's a vicious circle.

Oh can the liberal crap dear. The majority of the West is able to eat normal amounts of food without becoming huge simply because of self control, and fat people were around long before the internet and threads such as this :rolleyes: Besides, what have I said that is not true? No one aspires to be fat, or wants to be fat, yet many people still become fat due to being lazy or through other morally deplorable traits.

You can nearly always find some form of exercise to do. Unless you are extremely ill eg cancer, you can do some mild exercise.
Reply 94
Original post by littleone271
When did I say that all skinny people were obnoxious? Some of them just annoy me. They never stop eating junk food and they just don't put on weight and then they'll make jokes about fat people who don't eat half of what they do.

I didn't imply that you did. You didn't mention that they made fun of fat people in your first post, you just said they could eat whatever they liked and stay skinny, so it sounded like you were saying they are obnoxious because they are skinny. They shouldn't make fun of fat people, but what does their weight have anything to do with you? Why does it annoy you? And unless you know them very well, how do you know they don't eat healthily most of the time and exercise appropriately?

I don't understand why it's fine to slag off skinny people but not fat people.
Reply 95
"Accommodating"... I see what you did there. :teehee:

It bothers me that you seem most fussed by them being 'big and ugly' as opposed to logical reasons for feeling negativity, such as concerns over healthcare. I think the nation (especially parents) need to be better educated with regards to nutrition and exercise, and if it were possible for unhealthy foods to somehow be less accessible from a younger age, brilliant.

Bullying and stigmatisation is not a cure, nor is it a preventative method. In many cases it might even make the problem worse if the overweight person is prone to comfort-eating.
Original post by carlstamford
I'm being serious. Why does anybody need to be obese, and why should we tolerate it?

Because it's not anyone else's business. LOL
Mobility scooters are quite dangerous anyway. I remember an old man died near my school because the breaks wouldn't stop in time for the lights and he went smashing into a lorry.:frown:

He wouldn't be missed. Must have been a disgusting sight as well.
Reply 98
Should they be punched or shunned? No, especially when it takes a long time for a fat person to lose weight to acceptable levels. If it was something that could be done in a week then fine, but making obese people feel miserable for years would more likely make them want jump off a bridge rather than lose the weight.

I was about 1.5 stone overweight when I was in my GCSES. It took about 2 years of hard work for me to lose it, so I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose like 10 stone. Most people in the papers that seem to loose like 2 stone a month are probably the type that are genetically thin, but are fat because of over eating and therefore were able to lose so easily and quickly.

There's already enough encouragement for obese people to loose weight. The media is pretty anti-fatty, and pretty much everyone on TV are in good shape, with the exception of people like Adele (BAD ROLE MODEL!). Most people don't like to associate themselves with overweight people. Obese people are fully aware of their problem but it's actually against our natural wiring to lose weight.

Most obese people are in the lower class, and I remember hearing something a few years ago about the government increasing taxes on fatty foods and then subsidising healthy foods. I guess it was too good of an idea for them to actually implement :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by im so academic
He wouldn't be missed. Must have been a disgusting sight as well.

What a horrible nasty thing to say. He had one because he was elderly not because he was obese even if he were that doesn't mean his family would not grieve and miss him.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending