The Student Room Group

WJEC Geography (AS & A2) help/discussion thread!

Scroll to see replies

Anyone nervous for G1 and G2 results in 5 days :/...

I'm panicking already....
Tomorrow D: aaaaaaarrrrrrghhhhhh
I am panicking now...just said a prayer to reassure me
(edited 11 years ago)
How did everyone do? Gutted about mine, didn't think it went that bad but according to my grade they did (only AS though)
Reply 184
Extremely surprised and disappointed with my result (AS)
Reply 185
Had an A (G4) and an A in my A level :woo:
Original post by ab786
Extremely surprised and disappointed with my result (AS)

I was disappointed because I actually worked really hard for it because I knew it was my weakest and all that for it to not pay off as I ended up getting similar to stuff my college marked
I've got myself into a bit of a mess with my AS year in Geology. Does anyone know the 2013 dates for WJEC Geology GL2 which is the practical exam? I might be out of the country first week of May and I'm worried about a clash.
Original post by NatalieMT
I've got myself into a bit of a mess with my AS year in Geology. Does anyone know the 2013 dates for WJEC Geology GL2 which is the practical exam? I might be out of the country first week of May and I'm worried about a clash.

This is for Geography not Geology.

Also does anyone know where to find the grade boundaries?
Original post by firebolt
This is for Geography not Geology.

Also does anyone know where to find the grade boundaries?

Well there didn't appear to be a topic for WJEC Geology so rather than create a whole new one asking here seemed like a reasonable first option, given a lot of people study both subjects. Anyway it appears I will be out of the country.

You can find grade boundaries on the WJEC site. http://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?subject=56&level=21
I messed up last year.. (august just gone)

Need to get grades up...wish it was a ll easy but sadly not..anyone know many revision tips... :frown:
Original post by Snowmadsam

Need to get grades up...wish it was a ll easy but sadly not..anyone know many revision tips... :frown:

i'm in a similar boat aswell.. have you just gone into A2 or are you resitting your year 13 exams?
Original post by Snowmadsam

Original post by L - Jilla94
i'm in a similar boat aswell.. have you just gone into A2 or are you resitting your year 13 exams?

Hello Snowmadsam and L - Jilla95; it is great to meet you both!

I just wished to say that I have found myself in very much the same position as you both. I am sorry that this has happened though; I wish you the very best for this coming year.

It would be great to know how the both of you are approaching revision and the details of the topics and exams that you are thinking of taking. Please know that I will try to help in anyway I can!...:smile:

It would be great to hear from either of you! I must admit that I am already starting to become quite concerned about how I am going to cope with everything!...:P
Reply 193
Original post by LanYard345

I just wished to say that I have found myself in very much the same position as you both. I am sorry that this has happened though; I wish you the very best for this coming year.

It would be great to know how the both of you are approaching revision and the details of the topics and exams that you are thinking of taking. Please know that I will try to help in anyway I can!...:smile:

It would be great to hear from either of you! I must admit that I am already starting to become quite concerned about how I am going to cope with everything!...:P

Heya guys, I finished my A2's last year, I absolutely love geography, my advice would be to read around the topics that interest you and really focus your thinking - in class and during revision- so you don't get lost in the huge subject that geography is. Atleast i found it much easier to revise specific things that all linked together to give me a decent answer whatever question came up, so i basically ended up with like 3 big detailed case studies that would provide enough information to blag an answer to whatever question in the exam. And be creative, don't use textbook examples, local or uptodate case studies tend be so much easier to remember, especially if they're on the news. Well that's how I did it anyway. :smile: And another thing, DIAGRAMS! The examiners apparently love it if you do labelled diagrams as they're easier to mark and especially if you can sketch like a map of a country/ graph/ cycle of some sort. They save time to! As long as you write an intro and conclusion they're just as valid as an essay.

Don't know if that helps!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by misplacedshadow
Mmmm, I don't like how they worded the questions. For Q1 I really felt like a douche, basically all I said was "The US has lots of Calories, and lots of energy and Sub-Saharan Africa has few calories and not much energy." Didn't massively expand on it as I just couldn't think of what else to say. Q2 and 3 okay just again, odd-wording. Q4 basically wrote the whole thing on Biofuels in Brazil/South Africa but don't think I did anything worth near 25 marks.

Section B I quite liked though again had to read the question a few times to understand what they actually wanted, waffled on about economic development led to increased wealth so more washing machines and talked about SE England and about Agriculture and use of Murray Darling Basin in Australia.

Thought overall it was okay but I think I can wave goodbye to my A*...

Just found this thread again, wondered whether you did get the A* or not? :smile:
Original post by LanYard345

Hey there :smile: i'm resitting G3 in January (themes: Climatic Hazards and Globalisation) and also attempting to resit G4 in Jan aswell.. i've started to go over things again in the last few weeks once i've covered enough i'll probably attempt some past papers etc.. anyone aware of when the G4 booklet for January examination will be released? also what exams are you sitting/resitting ??
Original post by EskimoC
Heya guys, I finished my A2's last year, I absolutely love geography, my advice would be to read around the topics that interest you and really focus your thinking - in class and during revision- so you don't get lost in the huge subject that geography is. Atleast i found it much easier to revise specific things that all linked together to give me a decent answer whatever question came up, so i basically ended up with like 3 big detailed case studies that would provide enough information to blag an answer to whatever question in the exam. And be creative, don't use textbook examples, local or uptodate case studies tend be so much easier to remember, especially if they're on the news. Well that's how I did it anyway. :smile: And another thing, DIAGRAMS! The examiners apparently love it if you do labelled diagrams as they're easier to mark and especially if you can sketch like a map of a country/ graph/ cycle of some sort. They save time to! As long as you write an intro and conclusion they're just as valid as an essay.

Hey thanks for your advice :smile: i'll definitely take it on board :biggrin: what grade did you achieve in the end? also how did you go about revising for G4 in particular as I struggled with it the last time around :confused:
Reply 197
Original post by L - Jilla94
Hey thanks for your advice :smile: i'll definitely take it on board :biggrin: what grade did you achieve in the end? also how did you go about revising for G4 in particular as I struggled with it the last time around :confused:

In the end I got an A, much to the disappointment of my geography lecturer :L I had a lot of things going on and ended up not attending college much in the second year particularly the last term. So for G4 I didn't do very well! Despite loving the topic I just wasn't in the right place in my head at the time for any exams. So I'm not sure my advice is that valid for G4 :P

I'd probably advice you to do a lot of mindmap sort of revision, linking everything you know together so its easier to remember, write a short essay for past/similar questions that include what you used in your notes, also make small topic cards and hopefully the repetition of using the same info over and over will make it come to front of your mind in the exam. But make your case studies current. That might totally not be your style of learning though, I know I'm quite airy-fairy compared to my friends revision...

I got 86, 90, 106 and 50 in G1, G2, G3, G4 respectively, so you can see I totally crashed out in my final exams :s-smilie: The same happened with all my subjects though so I don't think it was G4 as a topic that made me do badly.

Don't get too stressed about G4 though because G3 is weighted more heavily if I remember rightly. What grade are you aiming for?
Original post by EskimoC
In the end I got an A, much to the disappointment of my geography lecturer :L I had a lot of things going on and ended up not attending college much in the second year particularly the last term. So for G4 I didn't do very well! Despite loving the topic I just wasn't in the right place in my head at the time for any exams. So I'm not sure my advice is that valid for G4 :P

I'd probably advice you to do a lot of mindmap sort of revision, linking everything you know together so its easier to remember, write a short essay for past/similar questions that include what you used in your notes, also make small topic cards and hopefully the repetition of using the same info over and over will make it come to front of your mind in the exam. But make your case studies current. That might totally not be your style of learning though, I know I'm quite airy-fairy compared to my friends revision...

I got 86, 90, 106 and 50 in G1, G2, G3, G4 respectively, so you can see I totally crashed out in my final exams :s-smilie: The same happened with all my subjects though so I don't think it was G4 as a topic that made me do badly.

Don't get too stressed about G4 though because G3 is weighted more heavily if I remember rightly. What grade are you aiming for?

ahh i see, well done on the A thought that's impressive :smile: i'm open to suggestions haha i think the current case studies thing would definitely go in my favour, so thanks for that:smile: and well I got a B overall in my A level last year, so hoping to aim for an A if possible fingers crossed :colondollar: and yeah you're right i should probably practice some more essays for G3 in that case :P
Original post by EskimoC

Hello EskimoC - It is great to meet you!

Many thanks for all of the advice that you have offered; it is very much appreciated and I have no doubt will be of great benefit throughout the revision process for all of us! Many congratulations for the results that you achieved in each exam and the overall A grade for the subject as well; it is really fantastic news! I desperately hope that I can do as well as you!...:P

I do hope that you are enjoying your Gap year and have continued your undoubtable success in all of your recent endeavours! Thank you so much, once again and many congratulations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending