The Student Room Group

What extra curricular activities for computer sci degree

My sixth form doesn't do computer science but I want to do it at uni and was wondering what extra curricular activities are out there for computer sci, also do any computer companies do placements or internships for sixth form students?
How 'bout... playing video games?
What about... hacking? Coding?
Reply 3
Just do some programming.

Start out with some Python and get coding. I liked making programs involving whatever maths I was learning at the time e.g. standard deviation/variance calculator or implementing sorting algorithms.

Also give a GNU/Linux distribution a go if you haven't already.
(edited 12 years ago)
We make some suggestions on reading materials, and some other more practical activities you can download and have a go at on our admissions pages. We also hold events for young people interested in finding out more about Computer Science.
Reply 5
Original post by Thatguy1
My sixth form doesn't do computer science but I want to do it at uni and was wondering what extra curricular activities are out there for computer sci, also do any computer companies do placements or internships for sixth form students?

ask around! I sent my cv to loads of companies and managed to get a weeks work experience last half term, as well as another work experience placement in the summer for a different company :biggrin: so thats my advice aha!
Reply 6
Original post by x_leah27_x
ask around! I sent my cv to loads of companies and managed to get a weeks work experience last half term, as well as another work experience placement in the summer for a different company :biggrin: so thats my advice aha!

Were these local places?

Which type of company (e.g. Game developers)?
Reply 7
Thanks guys your ideas really helped. i think im gonna sign up for the Linux Format magazine and try it out, where can you apply from the placements?
Reply 8
Project Euler is a good one.
Reply 9
Original post by PrinceyJ
Were these local places?

Which type of company (e.g. Game developers)?

Yeah they were local for me which was handy! The one I went to last half term makes like programs/apps for e-learning for schools, buisnesses etc. so it was pretty good - i think the other one i've got for the summer is a bit different to that as its like an I.T support centre :smile: you will get loads of no replies though :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending