The Student Room Group

Extra Activies on UCAS application

Hi,

Can someone explain to me what "extra activties" are on the UCAS application form? I want to study Psychology at university so I'd like to know about some extra activies I could do to add onto my application.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Heyyy, the extra activities are basically those things you’ve done outside school e.g volunteering, competitions etc. They can be educationally related or not but they should link to your course and the necessary skills you need for your course. Hope this helps ☺️
Reply 2
Its also for special access schemes like Sutton Trust, Aspire, Pathways to Law, SEREN, Brilliant Club etc or schemes run by individual Unis themselves.
Reply 3
Original post by Kaamji
Heyyy, the extra activities are basically those things you’ve done outside school e.g volunteering, competitions etc. They can be educationally related or not but they should link to your course and the necessary skills you need for your course. Hope this helps ☺️

I currently volunteer at a charity shop, and I've found ways where I can link the skills I have gained to skills required for Psychology. Would thiis count?

I also plan on doing MOOCS too (basically online courses of a specific interest done outside of school) over the summer, wondering if that'd be okay?
Extra activities can be extra-curriculars or super-curriculars. Extra-curriculars are things you do outside school generally unrelated to your study. You could volunteer, for example at a charity shop, or a youth organisation (e.g. Scouts). You could also take up a sport or hobby. These essentially tell the unis your applying to that you are an asset to the campus and student life beyond just your studies. Super-curriculars are study-related but outside the content you study at school. For this you could do some MOOCS (try EdX, Coursera etc), go to some lectures, read some books, listen to podcasts, do a project or some work experience.
That section is usually for official uni schemes and the like, not general extra curriculars.
As above. The Extra activities section is to allow universities to identify if you have participated in formal outreach activities.

Extra and super curriculars should NOT be listed in this section. Those go in your PS.
Original post by Kaamji

This is incorrect.

those are extra/super curriculars for inclusion in the PS. They should not be listed in the extra activity section.
Original post by LoafOfBread05
I currently volunteer at a charity shop, and I've found ways where I can link the skills I have gained to skills required for Psychology. Would thiis count?

I also plan on doing MOOCS too (basically online courses of a specific interest done outside of school) over the summer, wondering if that'd be okay?

Those things can be mentioned in your PS. Moocs would be far more relevant to psychology than volunteering in a shop. Psychology is an academic degree - work experience isn’t going to be relevant
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
Those things can be mentioned in your PS. Moocs would be far more relevant to psychology than volunteering in a shop. Psychology is an academic degree - work experience isn’t going to be relevant

Ah I see, Thank you for the help!
Original post by PQ
As above. The Extra activities section is to allow universities to identify if you have participated in formal outreach activities.

Extra and super curriculars should NOT be listed in this section. Those go in your PS.

Would it bring me down as a candidate to have very few/no extra activities on my ucas application? Sorry if I'm asking so many questions!

Also are there any other examples of extra activies I could do, aside from MOOCs of course.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by PQ
This is incorrect.

those are extra/super curriculars for inclusion in the PS. They should not be listed in the extra activity section.

Has the format for UCAS applications changed recently? I can't recall an extra-activities section on my old UCAS application. That would explain the confusion, so that OP doesn't get outdated info.
Original post by NotBestPleased
Has the format for UCAS applications changed recently? I can't recall an extra-activities section on my old UCAS application. That would explain the confusion, so that OP doesn't get outdated info.

On the UCAS section there's an extra activies section, alongside a personal statament, employment (only paied work), and personal details such as your name, where you're from, qualifications obtained, etc etc
Reply 13
Guys, I’m applying to uni this year (2nd gap year AFTER completing a degree)
And I’ve participated in outreach programmes such as the brilliant club, OA access etc. however I did these ages ago (back in 2018 - when I was in sixth form) should I still include these in the extra activities section? Or would it not be relevant because it was so long ago.
Reply 14
Original post by Kayyy30
(2nd gap year AFTER completing a degree)

What are you now applying for?
Reply 15
Original post by McGinger
What are you now applying for?

Dental hygiene and therapy

Quick Reply

Latest