The Student Room Group

How important are extracurricular activities?

I'm in year 11, and I'm wondering, how important they are for getting a placement in a university?

I want to study aerospace engineering.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by probably_sane
I'm in year 11, and I'm wondering, how important they are for getting a placement in a university?

If you really mean "extracurricular" activities, like DoE, part time jobs, music grades, sports etc, it really makes no difference at all. If you mean "supercurricular" activities, like reading books related to your subject, doing on online courses etc, it can make a difference for "normal" unis, and is crucial for the uber competitive ones like Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, St Andrews, UCL, Edinburgh etc. Some of those don't do aerospace engineering, but it will be the same for the most competitive ones that do.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2

For when you apply for placements and internships or applying for degree courses?
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
For when you apply for placements and internships or applying for degree courses?

degrees

Original post by lalexm
If you really mean "extracurricular" activities, like DoE, part time jobs, music grades, sports etc, it really makes no difference at all. If you mean "supercurricular" activities, like reading books related to your subject, doing on online courses etc, it can make a difference for "normal" unis, and is crucial for the uber competitive ones like Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, St Andrews, UCL, Edinburgh etc. Some of those don't do aerospace engineering, but it will be the same for the most competitive ones that do.

thanks

For engineering not really. Most important thing is strong background in suitable academic subjects, i.e. doing well in maths & physics at A-level (and hopefully GCSE as well), additionally doing further maths is very useful and or chemistry/compsci are complimentary.
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
For engineering not really. Most important thing is strong background in suitable academic subjects, i.e. doing well in maths & physics at A-level (and hopefully GCSE as well), additionally doing further maths is very useful and or chemistry/compsci are complimentary.

great, thanks
I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and computing at A-level
do you think i could put playing kerbal space program as a connected activity?
great, thanks
I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and computing at A-level
do you think i could put playing kerbal space program as a connected activity?

Solid subjects.

I have no idea what " kerbal space program " is, however it sounds like a video game. I dont think a video game would be seen as relevant, I cant imagine it is representative of what managing a space program is in reality and may risk you looking like you are trivialising or appearing to misunderstand what actually is involved.
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
Solid subjects.

I have no idea what " kerbal space program " is, however it sounds like a video game. I dont think a video game would be seen as relevant, I cant imagine it is representative of what managing a space program is in reality and may risk you looking like you are trivialising or appearing to misunderstand what actually is involved.

it is used by nasa for simulations, and is very accurate

No, Kerbal is not a suitable subject for your personal statement when applying to aerospace engineering.

It's also not used by NASA for simulations, as the physics is not representative and there are specific changes made in the games physics engine to support it as a game, rather than a simulator. It's been recognised by figures at NASA for having elements being reflective of some aspects of aerospace missions, and for it's role in science communication and popularisation. That is very different to being used as a simulator by NASA.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
No, Kerbal is a suitable subject for your personal statement when applying to aerospace engineering.

I can't tell, is this a yes or no?
I can't tell, is this a yes or no?

edited a typo and added further information
edited a typo and added further information

oh ok thanks

Im familiar with a lot of the major predictive management multi-physics softwares and there aren’t that many and i have never heard pf this. Additionally there is a LOT of complexity in ensuring simulations are accurate and I can’t imagine a game/program available to consumers would be capable of the nuances required.
@artful_lounger
do you have any suggestions of what would be relevant extracurricular activities?

Hey, I'm currently an offer holder for aerospace engineering and I think supercurriculars are really important if you're going for some of the top unis. There are so many really good applicants so it can help you to stand out and really show your interests. I've done a few and was asked about them in interviews, for example. The other extracurriculars probably aren't as important, but again it can help show you are well rounded if you do a couple of things. Obviously I don't know exactly what admissions offices are looking for, but having gone through the process for this course its what I would guess.
Original post by Marvel_fan
Hey, I'm currently an offer holder for aerospace engineering and I think supercurriculars are really important if you're going for some of the top unis. There are so many really good applicants so it can help you to stand out and really show your interests. I've done a few and was asked about them in interviews, for example. The other extracurriculars probably aren't as important, but again it can help show you are well rounded if you do a couple of things. Obviously I don't know exactly what admissions offices are looking for, but having gone through the process for this course its what I would guess.

can you please give me some examples of some good activities?
can you please give me some examples of some good activities?

There's really so many different things. You can read books or attend/ listen to lectures or if you have any clubs or societies or anything related at your school?
@artful_lounger
do you have any suggestions of what would be relevant extracurricular activities?

Wider reading is the biggest one. There are science fairs and so on you can engage with (e.g. the Big Bang Fair), stuff like hackathons and robotics competitions, but those aren't specifically necessary by any means - if you have the opportunity for those kind of things then take it, if not don't sweat it and just focus on doing wider reading around the subject area, understanding the scope of the field, current developments, what the future of the field looks like etc.
Original post by Marvel_fan
There's really so many different things. You can read books or attend/ listen to lectures or if you have any clubs or societies or anything related at your school?

Wider reading is the biggest one. There are science fairs and so on you can engage with (e.g. the Big Bang Fair), stuff like hackathons and robotics competitions, but those aren't specifically necessary by any means - if you have the opportunity for those kind of things then take it, if not don't sweat it and just focus on doing wider reading around the subject area, understanding the scope of the field, current developments, what the future of the field looks like etc.

thanks
thanks

I should have specified - take the opportunity for those other things if they are of interest to you :wink:

No point forcing yourself to do something just because it might seem to be a relevant supercurricular activity, as there are probably other equally relevant things you could do that would be more engaging for you!

Quick Reply

Latest