The Student Room Group

CRGS

Hi, I applied for CRGS, chose maths, physics, chemistry and DT. I was predicted 7A*s and 4As. But I didn't get in. Has anyone here got in?, If you did, what grades were you predicted???

Scroll to see replies

Hi there :smile: In the Uk there are two CRGS's. I assume you mean Colchester Royal Grammar School.

I also applied and got accepted this year on a conditional offer of As in my subjects (listed later on) and a B. I am predicted 5 A*s and the rest As, but dont think that that was what would have lost you a place (sorry to put it a little harshly). How your mock, interviews and general application went would be just as vital as your predicted grade....for example, in my first application, I had it checked by my headteacher, have a high role in my school, and also had delivered it a few weeks after the open day, which instantly sends them messages of how keen I was to get it in fast, and that I handed it in in person shows that I care that they recieved it.

I asked for similar subjects to you; Chemistry, biology, physics and maths, which are, I'm sure you'll agree, extreemly competative subjects to get into. Therefore, you competing with me would be more difficult for you or myself to get a place at CRGS than myself competing with you taking Pe, DT, Music and English...and that may have affected whether or not you got in.

Nevertheless, it is not the end of the world that you didn't get in, and there are other good sixth forms in Colchester. In the end, how you do at A level is dictated by your work ethic and how hard you are prepared to work rather than the school you go to, and so wherever you go, I'm sure you will be successful.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
how was your interview

Err...this was last year lol but year it went well...I was seriously nervous going in to see the headmaster though!
Oh and how long was it approx?

Have you got an interview this year because I'll run you through a bit about what they may ask etc if you like? :smile: I got help last year so I feel it my duty to repay the favour to the new applicants.

Umm...headmaster 10 mins I think, 10 mins with head of sixth form and 10 mins walking round the school with a prefect or some sixth former
Original post by Steroidsman123
Have you got an interview this year because I'll run you through a bit about what they may ask etc if you like? :smile: I got help last year so I feel it my duty to repay the favour to the new applicants.

Umm...headmaster 10 mins I think, 10 mins with head of sixth form and 10 mins walking round the school with a prefect or some sixth former

Do you go to CRGS? I'm trying to work out who you are? I need a hint...
what did they ask>? (have mine tomorrow!)

Oh sorry only just saw this:
headmaster talked asked about :
- my subject choices and why I chose them.
- Why I wanted to go to CRGS
- Why I was behind in maths on progress check
- How I heard about the school
- My hobbies and interests
- Questions from the 'personal statement' thing I sent
- My experiences as head boy of old school

Now I didnt study a language. If you do at GCSE, and particularly if you are thinking of at A level, iheard that they may test you at this at interview.

Overall dont worry. If you do well in your progress checks and mocks you should be fine. :smile::smile: There are probably more questions they asked by it was a year ago :tongue:
Sooo you have any advice re the interview:colondollar:?

Sorry, I've been at the school since year seven so I was guaranteed a place provided i met the minimum GCSE requirements.
Oh and do they ask you about sport/rugby for me-just thinking because of your username...

Haha I'm actually pretty weedy to be honest - a runner...but possibly. I was a county runner and they didn't ask me anything but runnings not very popular at CRGS rugby is so they might do...good luck!!! Just try and relax before you go in and answer questions to the best of your ability :smile:
Original post by sazzabazza
Do you go to CRGS? I'm trying to work out who you are? I need a hint...

Yes are you in year 12?
Original post by Steroidsman123
Yes are you in year 12?

Yes...
Is the progress check a ref from your school or a mini test they do there?

There aren't any mini tests once you're there...at least not last year. I meant a thing from your old school, but the application may be slightly different this year so maybe they haven't asked for one yet.
I'm applying to CRGS this year and i was looking at the online application and had a query about the question "Please write a short statement of application, giving your reasons for applying for a place at CRGS". Should i attach my whole personal statement or just a small bit regarding the question? if the second, how would they get my personal statement before the interview process?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Hello
If you play Minecraft, live
If you play Forknite, die
If you go to CRGS, eat food from canteen and die of food poisoning
(edited 3 years ago)
Elijah is that you?
Those are your initials. I remember them.

Original post by EDCHC
Crgs IS STUPID I WENT THERE I WANT TO LEAVE THIS PLACE IS STUPIDtHEY PUSH YOU SO MUCK YOU DONT LEARN ANTYTHING
hi alfred.
edit 1: hi larissa
(edited 3 years ago)
hello christine
I was wondering if who does to CRGS, which subjects seem the easiest to get into as an external
Reply 18
Original post by alfredlim
Elijah is that you?

I am in fact the CEO of Minecraft
Reply 19
How’s that possible?

Quick Reply

Latest