The Student Room Group

The Kony 2012 Campaign

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Problem is that the action kit costs $30 (which is alrightish) but they slap another $20 on top for international shipping. There has to be some way of accessing it in the UK to make this make any sense, because reposting on Facebokk doesnt do a damn, and is not the point of the campaign.

But that will never happen, because mobilsing people in the UK or elsewhere is entirely irrelevant to the campaign organisers. Its a nice bonus, but it is ultimately entirely irrelevant. This is an attempt to exert public pressure on the US administration, so mobilising people in the UK makes no difference for the simple but massively important reason that they cannot vote in the US. The way this works is the US system of lobbyable Congressmen/women who can be targetted by their constituencies, so it actually makes an impact there. But starting it here really IS a 'feel-good-about-ourselves' exercise, hard as it sounds.

Obviously I reposted it massively, and as you can see I also tried to buy the kit - but there isn't really a point, unless people would intend to turn this against Cameron too. And that wouldn't work, because in the US Invisible Children is a massive, organised, financed advocacy-group. As much as it looks htat way on the surface, this can in no way be drawn up by a few student as a part-time activity.
Reply 21
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
I don't really understand the point of this video. Obama already sent troops to Uganda in 2011 so the most powerful man in the world already knows about this guy and is attempting to stop him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord%27s_Resistance_Army_Disarmament_and_Northern_Uganda_Recovery_Act When he is found, he'll most likely be either killing or tried (probably killed). Hence, what's the point of this video? What is awaring a bunch of westerners going to do for the people? Ugandans already heard and know of him. If it had some sort of message like telling people to protest their governments to send some troops there or something then I can understand but it's relatively pointless campaign.

... and if you'd watched the video, you might have found out that it was due to the campaign. I had starkly wondered at the time why Obama would undertake such a seemingly irrational move - here is the answer. Secondly the message is precisely to retain (if not send) troops in Uganda.

I don't uncritically endorse the campaign. But if you critcise it, at least make an informed criticism.
The website www.kony2012.co.uk is in the works. There is a UK-wide hub already set up at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kony-2012-UK/173241809459406 and by tomorrow evening its directory should be updated to include all regional hubs.
Twitter is at @Kony2012UK for all us tweeters!

Original post by Konni_93
Problem is that the action kit costs $30 (which is alrightish) but they slap another $20 on top for international shipping. There has to be some way of accessing it in the UK to make this make any sense, because reposting on Facebokk doesnt do a damn, and is not the point of the campaign.

But that will never happen, because mobilsing people in the UK or elsewhere is entirely irrelevant to the campaign organisers. Its a nice bonus, but it is ultimately entirely irrelevant. This is an attempt to exert public pressure on the US administration, so mobilising people in the UK makes no difference for the simple but massively important reason that they cannot vote in the US. The way this works is the US system of lobbyable Congressmen/women who can be targetted by their constituencies, so it actually makes an impact there. But starting it here really IS a 'feel-good-about-ourselves' exercise, hard as it sounds.

Obviously I reposted it massively, and as you can see I also tried to buy the kit - but there isn't really a point, unless people would intend to turn this against Cameron too. And that wouldn't work, because in the US Invisible Children is a massive, organised, financed advocacy-group. As much as it looks htat way on the surface, this can in no way be drawn up by a few student as a part-time activity.

There's already suggestions being made about the postage charges and bulk-buying UK orders to avoid to postage charges from the US. I know of some of the events already planning to just give people the posters on the Cover The Night date and letting them spread the word throughout the early hours.

I disagree to an extent with what you say about it generally being feel-good-about-ourselves uni student stuff - it's stressed as a global peace crusade and the idea is not just to create leverage and demand action in the US government but also to create a world-wide understanding of the presence of Kony and the LRA. If this movement is succesful, it shows that no matter how great the odds are against you, with dedicated support anything is possible!
Reply 23
I'm all for KONY2012 and think it's a great thing, but Obama and Bush both oversaw/oversee things that are as bad happening in Afghanistan, and did in Iraq. Should they be arrested too? Both Kony and those are fighting for similar reasons.
Reply 24
Original post by HeyyImRyan
The website www.kony2012.co.uk is in the works. There is a UK-wide hub already set up at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kony-2012-UK/173241809459406 and by tomorrow evening its directory should be updated to include all regional hubs.
Twitter is at @Kony2012UK for all us tweeters!

There's already suggestions being made about the postage charges and bulk-buying UK orders to avoid to postage charges from the US. I know of some of the events already planning to just give people the posters on the Cover The Night date and letting them spread the word throughout the early hours.

I disagree to an extent with what you say about it generally being feel-good-about-ourselves uni student stuff - it's stressed as a global peace crusade and the idea is not just to create leverage and demand action in the US government but also to create a world-wide understanding of the presence of Kony and the LRA. If this movement is succesful, it shows that no matter how great the odds are against you, with dedicated support anything is possible!

Well that is great that it is happening in the UK too. But I still don't fully agree. What do you mean by "if this movement is succesful"? There are two goals: 1) capturing Joseph Kony 2) getting the Obama administration to keep the advisers in Uganda. Now the first goal is the goal of Invisible Children - but it is only the much more specific second goal that is the goal of Kony2012. And that is what makes the campaign so very strong: they are realistic enough to realise the limits of a social media public campaign, which is precisely putting pressure on governments. Now the only way in which specifically Kony2012 would be linked to the first goal is if you'd go put on your wellies, take daddy's rifle and book a flight to Uganda. This isn't supposed to be polemical: I just want to make clear that the starters of this campaign now as much as I do how unlilely that is, and so don't even call for it.

In the end though, whether Joseph Kony will be brought to justice will not be impacted by this campaign whatsoever, other than potentially making Obama keep 100 'advisers' in the country.
Reply 25
Any Scottish people look here :smile: I know there's deffo events in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen & Livingstone. Not sure where else though.
https://www.facebook.com/events/201482523284533/
Reply 26
Original post by Mufasaa
I'm all for KONY2012 and think it's a great thing, but Obama and Bush both oversaw/oversee things that are as bad happening in Afghanistan, and did in Iraq. Should they be arrested too? Both Kony and those are fighting for similar reasons.

Oh and Mufasaa: what the hell, man... That is uninformed and simplistic on so many levels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

Please watch this :frown: This man needs to be stopped!
This is so important
Reply 29
I didn't feel anything watching the video. It felt like they were massively overstating their importance and the importance of what they're doing. Yeah, sure, it was a well-made film but that doesn't sway me. The video also showed clear indoctrination of a child, yet he complained about the 'propaganda' we see each day.

Also, did anyone else get the feeling that they were more of a cult than an action group? I mean, they have their own symbol, name and show of unity. Furthermore, did the narrator have the audacity to imply that the world didn't do enough to stop Hitler? Because from where I was sat, he did.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Oh and Mufasaa: what the hell, man... That is uninformed and simplistic on so many levels.

Inform me then. Over a million Afghan deaths (mostly civilians), a lot of rape, a lot of torture, and the Americans have got away largely scot-free. It's hardly a rosy picture.
Reply 31
"There has to be some way of accessing it in the UK to make this make any sense, because reposting on Facebokk doesnt do a damn, and is not the point of the campaign... mobilising people in the UK makes no difference for the simple but massively important reason that they cannot vote in the US. The way this works is the US system of lobbyable Congressmen/women who can be targeted by their constituencies, so it actually makes an impact there. But starting it here really IS a 'feel-good-about-ourselves' exercise, hard as it sounds."

I kinda have to disagree with you too. One of their main methods of raising awareness is to use the media. This doesn't just mean relevant Congressmen / women, but celebrities, sportsmen, anyone who is known by anyone. In this way, the power of the media can be used to raise public awareness and involvement in things that are actually important, rather than to simply distract the public with things that are not, which is the purpose it serves at the moment. Celebrities are not interested in only America, nor are they only influenced by America, but they can still have an impact on America and their government's decisions, so in this sense they are a voice for the rest of us. Through our efforts, we can send strong messages to the people who CAN make a difference... Basically, we should still do everything we can, because it's right.
Reply 32
Going to the event in London on the 20th..anyone else going?
Reply 33
hey
I am very interested in starting the campaign here in the UK I cant find the Uk section either i think we need to start one.. there is more we can do here.
Hoping to go to the London one on the 20th.

https://www.facebook.com/events/255423667876325/

Would be awesome. Need to start making posters :colone:
Reply 35
I've just seen this on Facebook.

Here's to it working! Watch and share TSRs!!!
Reply 36
Just seen this on Facebook

It's a must watch and share for everyone
Reply 37
Original post by Craydot
Going to the event in London on the 20th..anyone else going?

Where is the event happening? Can you give me more info on it please, i was wondering if anything was happening here.
Reply 38
Well umm..

Holy ****?

I didnt expect that.
Reply 39
Well that is great that it is happening in the UK too. But I still don't fully agree. What do you mean by "if this movement is succesful"? There are two goals: 1) capturing Joseph Kony 2) getting the Obama administration to keep the advisers in Uganda.

IMO there were other goals stated: make sure everyone knows what he did, for the sake of individual justice so the people harmed have a voice and can heal. And make sure everyone knows so he can be held up as an example of international justice.

I'm usually a cynical bastard but there's nothing wrong with spreading awareness. I never heard of him before. I do think I should know about it. So thanks to the people who shared the video around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending