The Student Room Group

Why is Scotland more violent than England or Wales?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by yothi5
What about London??????? The whole of Northern England and Midlands is a crime scene.

and in london there is no crimw whatsoever ?:rolleyes:
Original post by Greig_R
Glasgow a relatively small city? Its the biggest in the UK bar London...

And after Birmingham.
Reply 22
Original post by Snagprophet
And after Birmingham.

Depends if you are counting just the City or the whole areas.
Original post by bordercollies10
The crime levels in Scotland tend to be high and concentrated around the central belt and also at some of the larger towns such as Greenock, Irvine, Uddingston, Ayr, Kilmarnock and so forth. I think that when you put things into perspective, and refer to reputable advice while travelling, you will see that you can minimilise the scope for conflict in which you could of been involved in by avoiding the so-called crime hotspots. Nonetheless I live in Ayrshire and crime is always a big deal in the small town where I live, mainly because it doesn't happen that much therefore most crimes seem significant in comparison.

I live in a small town in Ayrshire too although mine isnt too bad its progressively getting worse.

Kilbirnie:P
Original post by Greig_R
Glasgow a relatively small city? Its the biggest in the UK bar London...
Using what criteria? Obviously it's a very large city but it doesn't beat birmingham in population of city, urban or metropolitan area and I'm not sure it beats manchester in all 3 either.

Is it like Liverpool and deceptively leaves out areas? Like how the wirral is not included in the measure of Liverpools met/ urban population despite me currently being in central liverpool and less than a mile from birkenhead?
Original post by Left Hand Drive
I live in a small town in Ayrshire too although mine isnt too bad its progressively getting worse.

Kilbirnie:P

I live near Prestwick Airport :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by steve78
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...6908-22466000/
http://www.scotsman.com/news/more_vi...tries_1_819857
I can't think why. Many think the reason is because Scotland has considerably higher levels of drug and alcohol abuse but so does Northern Ireland and yet it is among the safest countries in the western world. Scotland is also wealthier than every region in the UK apart from London and the South East. I haven't found any evidence that broken families are more common in Scotland either. So why is there such a large disparity? This isn't about having a dig at Scotland, I'm just curious

I doubt Scotland would be more violent than the England or Wales if Glasgow (which is supposed to have the second highest murder rate in Europe) was taken out of the equation.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending