The Student Room Group

Edexcel Psychology Unit 4

Scroll to see replies

Original post by R Begum
I've uploaded a document earlier and it is really useful for the issues and debates section...

got it, thank you. i'm just writing everythign out in different colours. looks like a toddler threw up on my notebook but it helps, being a visual learner and all.
ahhh i so stressed! ¬.¬
okay, what study do i use for: interviews, questionnaires and correlations? i've gone blank!
Reply 182
Original post by NicoleCanFlyy
okay, what study do i use for: interviews, questionnaires and correlations? i've gone blank!

Interviews: 44 thieves or Blattler et al or mumford and whitehouse
quesstionnaires: mumford and whitehouse
Correlations: Gottesman
Original post by R Begum
Yep it's only predictions...

I didnt mean it as in I thought yours were wrong, was just giving my opinion, sorry if it came across that way!
Reply 184
Deco this depression is going to come up, revise that guys !

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 185
Defo *

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by R Begum
Interviews: 44 thieves or Blattler et al or mumford and whitehouse
quesstionnaires: mumford and whitehouse
Correlations: Gottesman

i dont remember doing any of them for interviews, since im using mumford and whitehouse for questionnaires.
ive got:

Lab: Loftus and Palmer
Field: Hofling
Natural: Charlton
Observation: The Robertsons
Interviews:
Questionnaires: Mumford and Whitehouse
Content Analysis: Cumberbatch and Gauntlett
Correlation: Gottesman and Shields
Reply 187
If we are asked to prepare our own studies, does it have to be a lab/field experiment? Or could it be something like a questionnaire? I looked at the 2010 paper where this came up and it specified 'plan a lab or field exp.' but otherwise, are we free to do what we want, or should we assume it has to be an experiment?
Thanks for any help! Could do with clearing this up!
Any predictions/tips for issues and debates??? Thanks..
Reply 189
You know for the DSM, is 4 points each enough for reliability, validity & cultural issues. is 3 studies enough for each one?
Original post by rosex
If we are asked to prepare our own studies, does it have to be a lab/field experiment? Or could it be something like a questionnaire? I looked at the 2010 paper where this came up and it specified 'plan a lab or field exp.' but otherwise, are we free to do what we want, or should we assume it has to be an experiment?

it could be any of the methods we're asked to revise.
unless it specifies, obv.
as long as you include an aim, hypotheses, groups design, procedure, thical considerations, how results are analysed (inc. statistical test) and evaluation. where nessacary (i cant spell that! xD)
Reply 191
Original post by rosex

Unless specified, it can be anything. =]
Original post by R Begum
You can use:
Harlows monkeys
Randrup and Munkvan
Watson(rats)
Pavlov dogs
Dallenbach coakroaches

why do we need to know an animal study?
Could someone explain the role of the hypothalamus and serotonin in the biological explanation for anorexia ?
Original post by UKnowWhoYouAre
why do we need to know an animal study?

my reasearch methods for clinical are animal and twin studies.
some people are doing interviewing and other stuff though?
Original post by NicoleCanFlyy
i dont remember doing any of them for interviews, since im using mumford and whitehouse for questionnaires.
ive got:

Lab: Loftus and Palmer
Field: Hofling
Natural: Charlton
Observation: The Robertsons
Interviews:
Questionnaires: Mumford and Whitehouse
Content Analysis: Cumberbatch and Gauntlett
Correlation: Gottesman and Shields

You can use Goldstein
Reply 196
How much do we need to know for the key issue for clinical " the way the media portrays mental illness"
Do we need to evaluate this? Thank you!!
Original post by Neon-Soldier32
You can use Goldstein

Thanks (: i need to be more organised, then i wouldnt have these issues ¬.¬
Original post by Sana210693
Could someone explain the role of the hypothalamus and serotonin in the biological explanation for anorexia ?

Serotonin is a neurochemical that is linked closely with eating and anorexia and a lower amount of serotonin activity at the synapse can lead to abnormal eating patterns. And a typical symptom of anorexia is prolonged periods of not eating (restrictive anorexia) which therefore could be explained by lower serotonin activity at the synapse.

Anorexia can be treated with prozac, a drug that raises serotonin levels at the synapse which supports that fact that serotonin plays a part in anorexia.

Anorexics are typically also depressed and a typical symptom of depression are lower levels of monomines (serotonin, noradrenalin and dopamine) and depression is also treated with prozac.
Reply 199
Does anyone have any notes on the biological treatment for schizophrenia (anti psychotic drugs) I've looked through all my materials but my revision notes only come to about a page,or is this enough?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending