The Student Room Group

Edexcel Psychology Unit 4

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by 60062
What do you guys link will come up ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yes has anyone's teacher's given them a slight idea as to what may come up? It's probably quite hard to guess in Issues & Debates as to what may come up seeing as it covers such a broad area!
Reply 101
My teacher has been saying through the course that she thinks the validity and reliability of the DSM will come up for the Clinical exam, as it hasn't come up in a while. Hope that helps, I suppose we'll just have to see x
Reply 102
Original post by rosex
My teacher has been saying through the course that she thinks the validity and reliability of the DSM will come up for the Clinical exam, as it hasn't come up in a while. Hope that helps, I suppose we'll just have to see x

Validity in the DSM came up in last year's paper, along with having to evaluate general issues in the DSM.. could come up again, Rosenhan has been in the last two papers so we'll see :smile:
It seems like they like to repeat alot of stuff in papers, but thats just going by the two so not a very reliable conclusion to draw due to the very small sample size (haha..).
Also does anyone want the spec paper?

What do people think/hope will come up in issues and debates? I hope its a comparison question, preferbaly on nature/nurture or Psychology as a Science
Reply 104
If a question comes up 'Evaluate the role of nature or nurture when explaining human behaviour' how would you evaluate it? With psychological research, or research methods? So for example, 'The Biological Approach explains that nature is prevalent as it is effectively a genetic blueprint of how we will develop, in comparison, nurture is said to set of behaviour such as aggression, or schizophrenia, according to what is in our environment (diathesis-stress model), this was evidenced in Gottesman & Shields, as whilst there was a genetic influence seen with twins who had schizophrenia, the rate of DZ twins having schizophrenia or a related psychoses was still around 18%, and this was put down to the diathesis-stress model, evidencing the fact that both nature and nurture play a part with human behaviour'

Is this along the right lines? I have a feeling the nature/nurture debate's going to make an appearance on the paper next week!
Reply 105
Original post by oli_042
If a question comes up 'Evaluate the role of nature or nurture when explaining human behaviour' how would you evaluate it? With psychological research, or research methods? So for example, 'The Biological Approach explains that nature is prevalent as it is effectively a genetic blueprint of how we will develop, in comparison, nurture is said to set of behaviour such as aggression, or schizophrenia, according to what is in our environment (diathesis-stress model), this was evidenced in Gottesman & Shields, as whilst there was a genetic influence seen with twins who had schizophrenia, the rate of DZ twins having schizophrenia or a related psychoses was still around 18%, and this was put down to the diathesis-stress model, evidencing the fact that both nature and nurture play a part with human behaviour'

Is this along the right lines? I have a feeling the nature/nurture debate's going to make an appearance on the paper next week!

That sounds right, yeah. It depends on how many marks the question is worth though, I'd mix it up if it was a 12/18 marker.
Reply 106
Original post by Jackso
That sounds right, yeah. It depends on how many marks the question is worth though, I'd mix it up if it was a 12/18 marker.

Okay thanks, yeah if it would be a 12-18 marker it would probably be more likely to be a 'Describe & Evaluate.' Thanks anyway :smile:
Has anybody got essays on...
* is psychology a science?
* social control,
* and the approaches one.

would really appreciate it if someone shared :P
Reply 108
This exam kills my soul. :frown:
Reply 109
Original post by Katie (:
This exam kills my soul. :frown:

Haha same! Hating Issues & Debates :frown:
Reply 110
Original post by oli_042
Haha same! Hating Issues & Debates :frown:

Yeah, same here! Mainly because my teachers never told us that we should keep all our AS notes so I burnt all mine, oops :frown:
Reply 111
Original post by Glow Cream
Has anybody got essays on...
* is psychology a science?
* social control,
* and the approaches one.

would really appreciate it if someone shared :P

Hey, I don't have an essay example but "Is Psychology a Science?" was *sort of* asked on last year's 18 marker. Kind of. You should check out the Edexcel mark scheme; it shows what the examiners would be told to look for when marking that question:

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202011%20-%20MS/6PS04_01_rms_20110817.pdf

It's pretty easy to see how you lose marks, as well.
I'm doing this on Monday and I've just started my revision so basically I got 4 days to get through everything! Impossible and stupid, I know.
What tips would you give me in order to try and get through a lot in a short amount of time.
There is just soooo much content in this exam :'(
I'M SO SCARED - still so much to revise! There is a ridiculous amount for this exam :frown:
Original post by ashbash123
I'M SO SCARED - still so much to revise! There is a ridiculous amount for this exam :frown:

I hear that the thing I kinda lost faith in edexcel because sometime they ask the most stupid questions and for example you waste many days revising learning about hunderd different studies indept and with evaluation and in many cases they dont even ask for one. Its so frustrating at time because spent like 3 hours learning them and them keep going over them. Only for them to ask you something stupid like for in unit 3 on some stupid social learning theory question. I seriously wanna punch that ali ghalib guy. He most psychoanalysis my ass but we all subjective in this joint

Back to smoking I go. :confused:
Original post by olimarecar
I'm doing this on Monday and I've just started my revision so basically I got 4 days to get through everything! Impossible and stupid, I know.
What tips would you give me in order to try and get through a lot in a short amount of time.
There is just soooo much content in this exam :'(

DW im in the same boat as you ive only started intense studying today !!
Make sure you briefly go over your AS Chapters this really helps for contributions and key issue and while going through make note of any relevanT notes to the debates , thats what im doing. This is possible in a day or even less because your just trying to jog your memory.
To make it stick just go on to psychexchange website , look for questions on issues and debates and clinical and practice up until the exam.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 116
has anyone got a good set of concise notes for this section?
urgently needed
Reply 117
Think I'm going to start cracking out a few of the past papers and past exam questions for this unit now, not long left! Also have e-mailed my teacher asking for any final predictions for the paper, hopefully will get a response :smile:
Reply 118
Dreading this exam, haven't even done a mock yet.
Reply 119
okay so heres the deal
ive got bio tmr
psych on monday which ive not even looked at and chem on tuesday oh the blooody joy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending