The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 4 (6BI04) - 15 June 2012 - Official Exam Discussion Thread!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Panicomg
I've never come out of an exam so miserable.
I believe along with many others in my school that there was not enough time for this exam. Never have I not completed a paper and in this exam I almost missed out 2 full questions! You give a 90 minute paper 90 marks, thats 1 mark per minute. You did not consider this when designing the questions. Half a page of writing for each question was not acceptable. Along with these long winded questions they were also very vague! You applied lots of marks for questions that only had 1 or 2 points to them and applied very little marks to questions that needed more marks to them.

Not only was the timing off and the questions off but you also seemed to miss out half of the spec in this exam. I understand you cannot test us on everything, but if this is the case take out some of the questions that acquire maths and interpreting graphs! HIV immunity did not come up once and this was a major part of the spec, I also found this with unit 1 and unit 2. You fail to test us on major aspects of the spec that students like myself spend hours studying.

It's not just my school that found the paper did not have enough time, it's also other schools as i've seen from the student room forum.
I'm hoping you take into consideration mine and others complaints. I'm very upset because I knew the answers to the last questions and would have gotten those marks.
I'm very frustrated as my uni place relies on this. I don't mean to sound rude in this email but I am very stressed and frustrated with the whole situation

Okay that's my complaint sent. So annoyed, now off to revise my butt off for unit 5. :yy:

Thats good! It will be interesting to see how they respond, if they do at all. Good luck with unit 5!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 981
Original post by tinzoo
u have to use this email: [email protected] :smile:

thank you
Reply 982
Sod it I've never done anything like this before but I might as well complain too, what a stupid paper.

Good luck for unit 5 everyone!
Reply 983
Does anybody have the january paper for unit 5 please? My teacher hasn't given it to me. i would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Reply 984
Original post by 19941994
Thats good! It will be interesting to see how they respond, if they do at all. Good luck with unit 5!

I doubt they'll do anything tbh, but it's worth a shot. Thank you, good luck to you too!
Original post by Cold Blood
It was a long paper but quite easier than other papers. Felt great to complete in time. Any guess on the grade boundaries. I think 62 - A and 65 - A* .

you are wrong
Original post by 19941994
To whom it may concern,

I sat the unit 4 Edexcel Biology exam yesterday and felt that the questions were very unfair.
This was a retake, so the second time round I ensured that I memorised all of the processes and information necessary for the exam. I completed all past papers on the Edexcel website and timed myself. Not once did I require extra time, however in this exam I found myself struggling for time due to the lengthy questions.
I felt prepared for the exam and positive that I would do well, however the paper was filled with questions that required discussion and explanation of graphs or tables. I am aware that these questions are appropriate, but this paper definitely had an excess amount of those types of questions. I felt that I did not have nearly enough time to complete all answers to the best of my ability, as the questions on graphs required extra time to read and understand the information given. I found myself rushing towards the end as I inevitably spent so much time on these questions.
I felt that the information I learnt was not necessary as a lot of what I studied did not come up at all. The wording of the questions were confusing and not like any past papers I had practised. Therefore it required extra time trying to figure out what the questions were asking. There were excess amount of marks rewarded for questions that only required a few points, and in some cases only a few marks for answers that required a lot of information.
Many students have been discussing this on the Student Room website, claiming that the exam was unreasonable and had barely any application of 'biology' in it. The questions were largely based on logic, and had I have known this I would not have spent weeks memorising processes that did not even come up! Students that I know are very intelligent and were well prepared left the exam hall in tears, and everybody I have spoken to has agreed with me.
Surely an exam this difficult and unreasonable should have lower grade boundaries? Or perhaps should be reviewed as it seems so unfair! Many students, including myself, required As or A*s in biology in order to get into university, and now may not achieve those grades due to this exam.

I think it would only be fair that the grade boundaries are lowered for this exam or the paper should be reviewed once again.

- anything else you guys think i should include/change?

well written - i wouldnt say that "you should lower the grade boundaries" because that is calculated after all papers have been marked and national averages are measured (hopefully they will be bloody low)
mention the word science - the questions are worded so ambiguously that maybe it is looking for some kind of application, but it is so loose, and almost seems like it is unrelated to what they are asking us! if they want to know what was in the calvin cycle, they should just say "what's in the calvin cycle" rather than giving us a bloody graph and talking about carbon dioxide levels etc. of course, we are all very aware that we have to apply the knowledge and it not just a memory game, but this all just seemed so wooley and almost fictional in their approach. its very difficult to express what we are all thinking
Original post by emilytalbot
you are wrong

Probably a troll..
Do people remember what they put for the describe and explain the distribution of the anemone wrt the two abiotic factors? Obviously the height above the low water mark was fairly simple but then how could you explain the trend in temperature? I said that because the temperature was measured as being virtually constant at each point in the transect (between 11 and 13C) it was impossible to work out its effect on the distribution.. At the time I thought that answer was a cop out but I see no alternative. There definitely wasn't a trend between the abundance at places at 13C and places at 11C.
Also, what did people put for the following "how would you analyse this data" question. I talked about putting it into a line graph and using statistical test (pearson) to assess correlation, but again I don't think that was what they were looking for.
Reply 989
Original post by marc_h94
Perhaps you're right, but as far as I'm aware the question asked the benefit of algae over normal leafy plants. I would think it would be unfair for them to penalise candidates who made the assumption that it was normal plant leaves they were talking about rather than aquatic plant leaves!

What's what makes a non-aquatic plant 'normal' and an aquatic plant 'non-aquatic'?

There was no reference to 'normal plants' in the question. Edexcel is an extremely specific exam board and will discard perfectly valid answers in favour of answers it deems 'better', so they may only have one correct answer :/.
Just asking, anybody's biology teacher/teachers found the paper to be ridiculously tough/unfair/horrible? or it's just us students doing all the complaining? i sure hope some teachers have sent edexcel complaint emails...

personally i found it to be ridiculously tough+unfair+horrible+irrelevant...
Reply 991
Have a read I sent this to them,

To whom it may concern,

I sat the June 2012 paper for Biology unit 4 on the 15th of June 2012. I was appalled to see the lack of biological content with respect to the syllabus that I myself and others had revised so hard from. Instead I found the paper had many vague and open ended questions which is ironic in retrospect considering your exam board requires such specific answers. The paper was filled with graph and table questions which represented a large proportion of the marks. The questions for the 2 and 3 marks almost had no relation with the syllabus and were ambiguous and required no biological application. The questions also had a lot of reading content before you could answer the questions , I no doubt believe this also had an effect. As this was a retake paper I was determined to do better on my second attempt. I have never previously struggled with timing in any of my exams and although I finished it, I found myself rushing with 15 minutes to go. Many of the students require certain grades in biology for university places and now I find myself in a position where I hope my chances are not ruined due to a poor paper released on behalf of edexcel.

I am aware that my case is not unique, having talked with other students at my college and on the student room forum, I see that these problems were experienced by all.

I hope my complaint is handled in a professional manner and that swift action is taken to perhaps review the papers and the grade boundaries.
Original post by Lala4321
Have a read I sent this to them,

To whom it may concern,

I sat the June 2012 paper for Biology unit 4 on the 15th of June 2012. I was appalled to see the lack of biological content with respect to the syllabus that I myself and others had revised so hard from. Instead I found the paper had many vague and open ended questions which is ironic in retrospect considering your exam board requires such specific answers. The paper was filled with graph and table questions which represented a large proportion of the marks. The questions for the 2 and 3 marks almost had no relation with the syllabus and were ambiguous and required no biological application. The questions also had a lot of reading content before you could answer the questions , I no doubt believe this also had an effect. As this was a retake paper I was determined to do better on my second attempt. I have never previously struggled with timing in any of my exams and although I finished it, I found myself rushing with 15 minutes to go. Many of the students require certain grades in biology for university places and now I find myself in a position where I hope my chances are not ruined due to a poor paper released on behalf of edexcel.

I am aware that my case is not unique, having talked with other students at my college and on the student room forum, I see that these problems were experienced by all.

I hope my complaint is handled in a professional manner and that swift action is taken to perhaps review the papers and the grade boundaries.

Very well said.
I think you explained our thoughts extremely well and was done so in a mature manner.

I really hope they take this into consideration when doing the grade boundaries.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 993
Terrible exam. I finished but only because I didn't even read questions 7. I just wrote possible answers in bullet points really quickly.

I was getting 70+ out of 90 in all the practice exams. That however was such a stupid exam and so I am really worried.
Reply 994
Original post by Medstudenthopeful
I think this paper was utter rubbish. I have got an offer for UCL to study medicine in september and need three As in maths, chemistry and biology. I am guaranteed As in Maths and Chemistry as I only need 19 and 32 ums respectively. They marked me down in Janurary unit 4 to a B. I was deducted 7 marks because I had used crosses instead of ticks. I do admit it did say crosses but in other exams, they only penalise you once. It is hard to believe had I been penalised once I would have got the equivalent of an A* grade in the exam. So this was a retake. The amount of time I spent learning the specification for this exam to no avail. My handwriting was almost illegible. I finished with five minutes to spare but came out of the exam room crying. The first question was completely irrelevant to anything. There was no time, the exam was no biology. Anyone could have gone in and used LOGIC to try and answer it. It was just terrible. I am gutted. And with the way everyone does so badly in the coursework, Med school is just a distant dream at the moment :frown: Guys this was just terrible!

Im in a very similar position to you! Iv got an offer from Nottingham to study medicine and i need 3As...Definately gonna get an A in maths and have to work a bit on chemistry and was very confident in getting an A in biology until i sat for the U4 paper! My handwriting is barely legible when im writing slowly so i doubt anyone will be able to read anything i wrote on the last 4 pages of the paper :/!
Reply 995
Original post by SimpleGirl
Very well said.
I think you explained our thoughts extremely well and was done so in a mature manner.

I really hope they take this into consideration when doing the grade boundaries.

Cheers, Let's hope they got the message! :smile:

Tried to do it in a less gung ho way. If they want to take it further, I'll be glad to.
Reply 997

okay my qu might seem silly and very stupid :colondollar:
but i just dnt get something...
The Independent talked about AQA exam board and we are edecxe exa board
isnt they are diff???!
:confused::confused::confused:
Original post by ghogho
okay my qu might seem silly and very stupid :colondollar:
but i just dnt get something...
The Independent talked about AQA exam board and we are edecxe exa board
isnt they are diff???!
:confused::confused::confused:

I know, it was just an example of how complaints can sometimes lead to action. Looks like they were in the same situation as us!
Reply 999
Original post by marc_h94
I know, it was just an example of how complaints can sometimes lead to action. Looks like they were in the same situation as us!

aha okay:u:
so we should do the same and increase the number of complaints and let the whole world news talk about edexcel exams !!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending