The Student Room Group

blackheads

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bromine
:confused: Did you mean to put salt twice or was it supposed to be something else? (I'm curious; I'll probably attempt all the home remedies haha :colondollar:)

Sorry, *typo. I was meant to write: a mixture made up of 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of toothpaste. :colondollar:
Original post by translucent
Thanks for that, I'm going to try those except the PVA glue I imagine it works just like one of sticker things you stick on your nose for a few minutes (from superdrug) It works instantly however, is temporary and only lasts a few days :rolleyes:

Will I notice instance change with the honey remedy?

I think the effectiveness of each approach varies for everyone. My friend had a really good result the first time round but it took a couple of goes for me to see a result. I hope some of the ideas help :smile:

Remember, the temperature receptors in your hands have a bigger threshold than the skin on our faces so what might feel 'hot' to your hands may be too hot for your face. Honey and some other natural ingredients also have natural antibacterial properties so this would also clean your face a bit and hopefully go a little way to preventing blackheads.

Thank you for the tip :smile:, I may get some pore strips next time I pop into Superdrug if they're not too expensive.

Let me know if you have any more questions/would like me to clarify anything.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Deja Vu
2.5% salicylic acid - you can get it cheap from loads of places online, but I personally prefer to pay a little more and go with Paula's Choice (Google is your friend) as this way I know it's legit, and it's at the right pH level to be fully effective without causing too much irritation.

Scrubs etc. don't really work unless they have a chemical exfoliant in the ingredients - and this is usually not a high enough percentage to be effective, plus you only keep a face wash on for about 45 seconds so it doesn't really get a chance to work either. The black part of blackheads is NOT dirt or grime - scrubbing doesn't work because they're caused by excess oil blocking your pores, this then oxidises (the same way cheap foundation can, you know when it turns orange even though it looked fine when you first put it on that morning?) and makes it appear black.

Get the 2.5% salicylic acid toner, use it every day (maybe just once a day at the moment to ease your skin in to it and reduce irritation, then slowly build up to twice a day every day) and you'll notice a difference within a month :smile: Hope this helps!

(P.S. a lot of acne fighting stuff has benzoyl peroxide in it - this is great for inflamed whiteheads but doesn't work on blackheads as it doesn't penetrate deep enough in to the pores to be able to clear the blockage).

Never heard of this Paula's Choice, but it sounds good. For years I have been struggling with my skin; I have a lot of blemishes (which are very noticeable - dark skin/pigmentation) and I have a lot of blackheads. Do these products get rid of already blemished skin? Or does it only prevent blemishes occurring on new spots?
Original post by alison-claire
I think the effectiveness of each approach varies for everyone. My friend had a really good result the first time round but it took a couple of goes for me to see a result. I hope some of the ideas help :smile:

Remember, the temperature receptors in your hands have a bigger threshold than the skin on our faces so what might feel 'hot' to your hands may be too hot for your face. Honey and some other natural ingredients also have natural antibacterial properties so this would also clean your face a bit and hopefully go a little way to preventing blackheads.

Thank you for the tip :smile:, I may get some pore strips next time I pop into Superdrug if they're not too expensive.

Let me know if you have any more questions/would like me to clarify anything.

Ah, strips :tongue: that was the word I was looking for not face stickers :lol:
Reply 24
Original post by Blob2491
Lemons are your answer
Seriously...my face hasn't been this clear since I was about 2

oooh, jealous, i want skin like a 2 year old. do you just rub a lemon on your face or do you do something more extravagant?
Reply 25
Original post by popple7
oooh, jealous, i want skin like a 2 year old. do you just rub a lemon on your face or do you do something more extravagant?

Buy some fresh lemons (or pancake lemon juice if you're lazy like me :P)
Squeeze out some lemon juice
Get cotton wipes and apply the lemon juice to your face...

It WILL sting at first so you may have to dilute it and I advise you to apply it at night and wash it off in the morning.

http://www.acne.org/lemon-juice-applied-topically-reviews/73/page1.html
Another vote for the Paula's Choice salicylic acid lotion. It really does clear out your pores. Please listen to Deja Vu, she knows what she is talking about!
Reply 27
Original post by DancinBallerina
Never heard of this Paula's Choice, but it sounds good. For years I have been struggling with my skin; I have a lot of blemishes (which are very noticeable - dark skin/pigmentation) and I have a lot of blackheads. Do these products get rid of already blemished skin? Or does it only prevent blemishes occurring on new spots?

Both. It's not magical overnight material, but my already super, super bad blackheads were completely gone within 5 weeks or so. Regular use will prevent new ones too :smile:

So in short yes, yes, they will get rid of already blemished skin assuming you keep at it!

My blackheads start coming back if I go any longer than two weeks or so without any salicylic acid though.
Reply 28
Deep-cleansing pore strips are fairly good - use them 2 or 3 times a week after a shower when your skin's still warm.
Original post by Deja Vu
Both. It's not magical overnight material, but my already super, super bad blackheads were completely gone within 5 weeks or so. Regular use will prevent new ones too :smile:

So in short yes, yes, they will get rid of already blemished skin assuming you keep at it!

My blackheads start coming back if I go any longer than two weeks or so without any salicylic acid though.

Thanks for your help - will purchase the sample kit, see how my skin gets on with it and then go from there.
Probably already been reccomended but a really good exfoliator, my personal favourite is the soap and glory 'scrub your nose in it' or I know many others who love the st ives apricot scrub. Also you should be wary of moisturisers as I've found certain types have clogged my pores and therefore created blackheads :/
Original post by Deja Vu

Can I just ask is it this Paula's Choice toner you use? . . So confused lol.
Reply 32
Original post by DancinBallerina
Can I just ask is it this Paula's Choice toner you use? . . So confused lol.

Yep that's the one I use personally :smile:

You can also get it in a gel formula to use on a night or whatever, or a lotion formula (better for drier skins).
Reply 33
My nose and cheeks are very red with large pores and white gunk come out when I squeeze them but it dont go away im sick of it now
I used to have more blackheads than a KFC staff meeting :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest