The Student Room Group

what age should a girl start wearing makeup?

closed
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well… never really. Focus on good skin care habits, healthy eating and exercise.

Makeup is pumped full of chemicals, often ruins your skin and doesn’t make you any better apart from covering up stuff on your skin.
Reply 2
Original post by Rosyrose123
Hey guys ,

At what age should/is recommended for girls to wear makeup?
I'm 15 turning 16 and I am not allowed to wear makeup, not even simple concealer or mascara.
I just want to wear simple makeup so cover up my pimples and makeup just gives me confidence but my mum won't allow me to wear it

im 17 and also not allowed makeup aside from lip colour, part of it is because my mum recognises that once you get into wearing makeup you often get dragged into a mindset where you dont feel comfortable without it. of course you may feel more confidence covering your spots but a lot of people go on to feel even more self conscious without makeup once theyve gotten a taste of what its like to wear it
basically, what im saying is that wearing it too young(for the sake of covering insecurities) is not a good idea but if its only a bit i think its ok at 15/16. if you really do only want to wear simple makeup theres nothing wrong with that! im not sure how to convince your mum though, because im in the same situation
From 7-13 she can wear lipgloss and mascara maybe even eyeshadow and anything older than that she can put as much makeup as he wants. It’s just makeup, some people wear it for fun not to hide insecurities plus people might say that will attract pervs… well how about we stop placing the responsibility on the girl and place it on the creep to not be attracted to a literal child
Original post by mymelo
im 17 and also not allowed makeup aside from lip colour, part of it is because my mum recognises that once you get into wearing makeup you often get dragged into a mindset where you dont feel comfortable without it. of course you may feel more confidence covering your spots but a lot of people go on to feel even more self conscious without makeup once theyve gotten a taste of what its like to wear it
basically, what im saying is that wearing it too young(for the sake of covering insecurities) is not a good idea but if its only a bit i think its ok at 15/16. if you really do only want to wear simple makeup theres nothing wrong with that! im not sure how to convince your mum though, because im in the same situation

THank you so much , I agree with you
Never. I prefer not to kiss a can of dulux.
Reply 6
It is true once you get into wearing makeup, you somehow get uncomfortable going out the house without it, like what my sister had experienced. Makeup just ruined her skin and she started breaking out badly. It further heightened her insecurities. Now that she’s older, she had overcome this and barely wear makeup and she has now clearer skin.
"should"? Never :smile: - it's a personal choice
Reply 8
I think it’s often driven by the mother’s attitude to makeup. If they are a fanatic themselves it will be fine from early teens. And from 16 onwards you should be able to make decisions like this for yourself. It is bad in my view when makeup becomes a daily ritual, needed to face the world though.
I think you should be allowed concealer to cover a few blemishes if it makes you more comfortable! But you shouldn't feel like it is essential to wear make up, it's down to you, stay natural!
I discoved foundation at 12 in my mums makeup bag. my skin was perfect and still would be if I hadn't started shovelling it on daily for about 2 years. I am 18 now and only wear mascara and eyebrow gel. If I'm feeling fancy I go for blush and a dot of liquid highlight. Don't think a concealer is to terrible at 15/16 if you have some obvious blemishes, but please don't use foundation it's given me blackheads for years after. As others have said work on skincare and making your skin look glow with a nice moisturiser. I also struggled with skin picking for a bit and face makeup actually draws attention to imperfections. Mascara and lip gloss are fine if you like how they look. One last thing dont feel like you have to put loads of slap on just because others do it, I've got to 18 and realise how silly I was when my skin was gorgeous and didn't need anything. We are more beautiful without it. xx
Whenever she wants to, knows how to apply it reasonably safely and can afford to buy it without relying on adult relatives.
If it's "should" then no age, no one should be forced to wear makeup as another user points out.
If it's allowed then I'd say in year 9 and above (Y8 and lower should be banned from being able to wear makeup in schools in my opinion unless they need to wear some for medical purposes or it's non-uniform day or it's for creative purposes (art, play, dance etc)).
Original post by Talkative Toad
If it's allowed then I'd say in year 9 and above (Y8 and lower should be banned from being able to wear makeup in schools in my opinion unless they need to wear some for medical purposes or it's non-uniform day or it's for creative purposes (art, play, dance etc)).

Implementing a ban for y8 and younger could make school life unbearable for albinos, those with pigment disorders and young students who use heavy makeup to cover up unsightly injuries or very large scars from violent attacks.
Original post by londonmyst
Implementing a ban for y8 and younger could make school life unbearable for albinos, those with pigment disorders and young students who use heavy makeup to cover up unsightly injuries or very large scars from violent attacks.

I've said that people with medical issues are exempt if you re-read the post.

Original post by Talkative Toad
If it's "should" then no age, no one should be forced to wear makeup as another user points out.

So all of the stuff that you're mentioning can come under medical in my opinion.
(edited 1 year ago)
I started wearing it when I was 13

however I don't think it was a good idea as now I can't leave the house without wearing makeup :frown:

Yeah I'm excluding people who need to wear makeup for medical purposes.

Guess everyone has to be afraid of being seen.
Hey guys ,

I'm 15 turning 16 and I am not allowed to wear makeup, not even simple concealer or mascara.
I just want to wear simple makeup so cover up my pimples and makeup just gives me confidence but my mum won't allow me to wear it

Honestly makeup should only be really used for special events like a party or something for every now n then events. The reason y ur parents r prolly not letting u wear makeup is because once u start wearing it u’ll feel insecure without it. It’s the case for most teenagers. Like a bit of mascara n lip gloss is fine. But once u use concealer to cover ur spots u’ll feel insecure going outside without it. Try and love ur face for the way it looks now. Also putting makeup to cover ur spots doesn’t it make them more n irritate them even more?
Hey guys ,

Hi there, it is understandable that you would want to wear makeup to help boost your confidence and cover up your pimples. It is ultimately up to you and your parents to decide when the right time is for you to start wearing makeup. However, there are some things that may help guide that decision. Generally, it is recommended that teenagers wait until they are around 16 or 17 years old before experimenting with makeup. That being said, if you feel like you are ready at 15 then it's worth discussing with your parents and finding a compromise on what type of makeup would be appropriate for your age.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest