The Student Room Group

Pittbull attacks police officers in London ( WARNING GRAPHIC )

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
I sincerely hope the person shouting out "You should be ashamed of yourself!" at the end is aimed to the officers who stood by and did nothing whilst their collegue was attacked.

How did they end up with bitten legs and lost fingers then? :confused:
The dog needed to be destroyed, no question about that and the best way to do it in this scenario is at the scene.

Other police officers did get involved and, as stated above, were seriously injured doing so. At some point it became a case of trying to preserve life and damage limitation rather than sending more officers in to get injured. It is always funny reading the views of armchair police officers who look at a 3 minute video and are able to determine that the officers involved did not act properly...

The only failure here was poor preparation. The dog had already attacked someone and should have been known to the authorities - this should have been taken into account when the raid was planned.
Pitbulls aren't dogs, they're savages.
To be honest I think it's a good thing that the dog mauled the police and was shot rather than mauling (and killing) a child or something and then being put down...

Way I see it, Pitbulls and so on in the hands of bad owners (hell, or just on their own) are ticking time-bombs - they're banned for a reason, and said ban should be enforced, dogs that are illegally owned should be confiscated and destroyed, same goes for ones that are imported. The only way we're gonna solve the issue is to prevent the current ones in this country from breeding, ensuring they're in the hands of people who will control them properly, and either destroying or sending back ones which are imported. I Dont care what anyone says about animal cruelty, these things are dangerous, and even as an animal lover (a dog, cat, and 3 chickens :smile: ), I say human life and safety trumps animal life and safety - if that means destroying an entire breed of dangerous dogs in order to protect that safety, so be it.

On topic of the video, the police response was pretty damn poor... the guy was just standing there screaming, and they were running around like headless chickens (which if I were a member of the public, I'd do as well..., I'd get as far away as I could from it...). The real question is why wasn't some kind of risk assessment taken before the raid (which I'm pretty sure they have to do) in which the topic of a potentially dangerous dog was discussed and the proper equipment and expertise brought along?
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
To be honest I think it's a good thing that the dog mauled the police and was shot rather than mauling (and killing) a child or something and then being put down...

Way I see it, Pitbulls and so on in the hands of bad owners (hell, or just on their own) are ticking time-bombs - they're banned for a reason, and said ban should be enforced, dogs that are illegally owned should be confiscated and destroyed, same goes for ones that are imported. The only way we're gonna solve the issue is to prevent the current ones in this country from breeding, ensuring they're in the hands of people who will control them properly, and either destroying or sending back ones which are imported. I Dont care what anyone says about animal cruelty, these things are dangerous, and even as an animal lover (a dog, cat, and 3 chickens :smile: ), I say human life and safety trumps animal life and safety - if that means destroying an entire breed of dangerous dogs in order to protect that safety, so be it.

On topic of the video, the police response was pretty damn poor... the guy was just standing there screaming, and they were running around like headless chickens (which if I were a member of the public, I'd do as well..., I'd get as far away as I could from it...). The real question is why wasn't some kind of risk assessment taken before the raid (which I'm pretty sure they have to do) in which the topic of a potentially dangerous dog was discussed and the proper equipment and expertise brought along?

What you're proposing hasn't worked in the last 20+ years and the proof is right here and other stories like this.

The dangerous dogs act has made it illegal to breed or importing into the country pitbulls and other banned breeds. Any current dogs of these breeds must be muzzled and leashed at all times when outside, neutered and spayed and registered. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_Dogs_Act_1991

You ban a breed and people will use different breeds. Staffordshire bull terriers are now the next pitbull, they were bred for fighting bulls and bears, when that got banned fought other dogs, but the trainers would kill any dogs that hurt a person, which made them docile towards people and good natured towards people. When that got banned the breeders took over to improve on the docile nature and while trying to breed away from their old fighting nature, but keeping the looks. (read the history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire_Bull_Terrier)

Then chavs got hold of them when their pitbulls were banned and encouraged them to fight dogs and be aggressive towards people, dog wasn't mean enough they'd kill it and get a new on, got a good fighter and attacks your enemies breed from it and train the puppies to be aggressive. Nature and nurture.

Ban staffs and they'll find a new breed. It's not hard to mix a few breeds to make a fighter. Some Labrador cross staffords look almost like pitbull type. I've personally know several Staffordshire bull terriers who have been raised with kids and have never hurt them in all of their lives and sadly when that breed is with a certain type of person, I would avoid them because they can be made dangerous.

So over the last 20+ years this law has not worked. A new law to harsher punish the owner and to recongise a dangerous dog before it attacks someone regardless of breed needs to come in. Signs like attacking other dogs, showing aggression on lead towards people, or bites if touched, means the dogs should by law, I think, be made to wear a muzzle in public and kept on a lead.
Reply 65
correct me if im wrong but dont ploddys carry tasers and really big hulky night sticks? why didnt he just fry the dog or give it a good whack?
Reply 66
I operate under the opinion that things like this are down to the owners, not the dog or even its breed.
A dog's breed may cause it to have tenancies to certain behaviour (like aggressiveness) but it's down to the owner to accept these tenancies and work with them, train it etc.
If they fail to do that it's no one's fault but theirs. And perhaps the breeder who was irresponsible enough to sell it to them.
Reply 67
I only clicked to read this thread because i thought it meant Pitbull the singer .. awkward

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending