The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

2012-13 Msc Information security !!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Since you are also working I believe this MSc will be even more relevant to you, in fact about half if not more students are working and part-time/block mode and others have taken a break for a year just to do this MSc.

Security Management is not the same as CISSP because the module doesn't go into any technical detail it's just issues around managing the security of information in general. So it covers areas such as ISO27001 (a lot of importance is given to the ISO during the module), Risk Management-Assurance-Assessment-Analysis etc, Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery, Governance, Law and Standards in general around Infosec, and Audit but all of these are from a management perspective e.g. how do you perform information security risk assessment in an organisation. The exam is not scenario based it is essays. So 5 essays choose 3, each one is 33%. The essays are of the type: Why would a company that is ISO27001 compliant, seek certification, what is the difference, and why might certification not be suitable for all organisations. Then you write a 600-900 word essay for each question.

Actually CISSP would be very easy to get AFTER you finish the MSc because most of the areas are common with the MSc and you would need very little additional study. In fact there is a free 2-day training course in June for CISSP at the Uni for students of the infosec msc only. Then you can give the exam whenever you want. I have heard of students giving it already this year and one of them (that I know of) passed with little extra effort.

The smart cards module is good it has solid content and will always do because RHUL receives sponsorship from Orange and Visa for research on this field and there's also the SmartCard Centre research lab on campus as a result. There are also many projects that are given out on this subject so that you can help with the research, if you are into smart-cards you will have plenty to do you should contact Mr. Markantonakis when you start in September and he will give you more details.

I do not know much about database security but friends have said that the content is "not what they expected" but good stuff it starts with the very basics assuming no specific DBMS, just the theory around designing and implementing a secure database / DBMS such as serializability, deadlock detection etc.

Advanced cryptography is goog if you really like cryptography and you're good with maths. It goes into detail about how DES, AES, ElGamal, RSA and other algorithms work and things such as Differential Cryptanalysis, Discrete Logarithms etc. I have not personally taken it but not many people feel brave enough to I think there were around 8 people who took it this year but I would say go for it if you're into the subject.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 21
Reading the syllabus of "database security", I had my doubts about the course, thanks for confirming it. I think my optional modules would be "smart cards" and "Forensics" (specially that my strength lies within OS security).

The topics you mentioned of Security Management are all part of the CISSP. I'm not in a hurry for CISSP, I studied it for a while and left it because it's not important for my job at all. Maybe later.

The only reason I thought about Advanced Cryptography is that because at a certain point I considered conituining to PhD, I decided against it (so far). I think the corporate world pays much more!

your review was very helpful. I will send you a message :smile:
Reply 22
Thanks a lot euphoria !

i have a couple of doubts.....

1* Do we need to know programming for any of the modules? .... i am more of a network admin .... configuring , routers ,switches etc . and i come from an electronics background.

2* how are the assignments ,tests, exams etc... is there a lot or they go easy on us? .... and can u brief me about the class timings, like how many days a week etc?

3* cryptography - i am aware of aes,des , rsa, deffie etc.... do they teach us only the concepts of how they work or ?... take a detailed working every single method ? and whats the level of maths involved in this?

4* Finally .... what is your opinion about the job openings.... when is comes to over seas students ??? i heard abt visa and scurity clearence ...etc

thanks a lot ......
Hi euph0ria

Thanks a lot for helping out new students. Your comments are very informative. I am also enrolling to this programme this September via Distance Learning. A few questions from my side:

1. I was wondering whether previous years' exam papers are freely available over UoL/RHUL website? I reckon solving them is important to score high on the exams.

2. Since my background is Java and related technologies, I was thinking to take Applications Security and Database Security as optional modules. But after reading your comments, I am wonder whether to take them or not. What would you suggest, especially given that I already have a Masters in Computer Science? Having said that my masters did not go into security area of Java/DBMS at all.

3. In general to be more employable in Information Security area (without considering personal interest), which optional modules should one take (may be from UK’s job perspective)?

I ask you this question as I do not have much exposure in Information Security but since I have a full time job, I can try asking my employer to put me into such projects.

Thanks.
Reply 24
Original post by slavenash
applied for gowar .... a month back ... still no reply ... wat abt you ?

I applied for gowar too. Haven't got a reply though.
Reply 25
Good to see so many people are going to RHUL. What are you thoughts on the MSc "Software and Systems Security" from Oxford as an alternative to RHUL? Better, worse?
Reply 26
1* Do we need to know programming for any of the modules? .... i am more of a network admin .... configuring , routers ,switches etc . and i come from an electronics background.
No, not really in fact many of the MSc students come from a different background some from management/business some from law some have just work experience. The only course I know of that could use a bit of basic programming skills is Computer Security but even that starts with an introduction to programming that even a novice can follow.

2* how are the assignments ,tests, exams etc... is there a lot or they go easy on us? .... and can u brief me about the class timings, like how many days a week etc?
During the first semester you do the 4 core modules. The classes in the first semester are 4 modules x 3 hours each a week so 12 hours total. This year when I did it the two core modules that are mandatory for everyone no matter what pathway they do (sec.management and crypto) were on the same day. During the second semester you take two or three optional modules (don't know what is going to happen from this year on but at least two optional modules i assume) each of 3 hours so 6 or 9 hours a week lectures. The assignments are optional since the only thing that counts towards your grade is the final exam (100% of the module is the final exam) but they really help you understand and they are returned to you graded. There are tutorials each week for 1.5 hours that are done in small groups (up to 12 people) and you get to ask questions if there is something you didn't get during the lectures which are done like so: 11 weeks in a semester and 4 courses means each course will have 2 tutorials so there is only one tutorial per week. There are no other tests except for the final exam. Some lecturers have extra stuff on moodle for you to participate and engage/ask questions like activities quizzes and other fun stuff again these are optional. The final exams are OK depends on your strengths usually business people find management easier and have to study hard for the technical courses such as crypto and network/computer security and the computer science people the other way around. All of them can manage though its no rocket science but it really helps if you go through the assignments and activities, also for courses such as law and management it helps to form a study group and discuss to get different opinions it helps you clear things up in your head and they stick easier. For example i got away with 2 full days study for most exams (but i did all assignments and whatever they had put up) except for crypto which i underestimated a bit and it took about 8 days of study to really get everything as there is a lot of content.

3* cryptography - i am aware of aes,des , rsa, deffie etc.... do they teach us only the concepts of how they work or ?... take a detailed working every single method ? and whats the level of maths involved in this?
for des we saw briefly how it works since it mainly XORes everything. For RSA we did in detail how they work (modulus, primes etc) but there are maths courses in the beginning of the semester that teach you only the things you need for crypto its for the MSc students only and you can go with basic high school (or less) math skills and be fine. The exam does not ask why it works this way and it doesn't ask to encrypt/decrypt anything it just asks the steps (like 1.get the modulus of two large prime numbers 2. get a coprime of those numbers 3.use these to make the public key 4.compute the private key from the public key - btw this is just an example of what is a sufficient answer its not exactly how RSA works). For AES we don't go into detail we just say there is an s-box and functions like byte substitution, mix rows, shift columns again the exam will not ask you to actually decrypt or encrypt something during the exam just the basic steps of how it works and how you can apply the different modes like CFB CTR etc.

4* Finally .... what is your opinion about the job openings.... when is comes to over seas students ??? i heard abt visa and scurity clearence ...etc
Job openings in UK at the moment as I said are plenty for InfoSec, security clearance is not necessary for all jobs some will hire you and have you work of projects that don't require security clearance some jobs will not need it obviously if you work as a reverse engineer of an antivirus company you don't need clearance. However international students that need a visa do have a harder time finding a job because a company needs to fund you to get a visa so you need to really know your stuff or be lucky so it would be advisable to start looking for a job as early as possible some people have started from late october/november and some people have signed contracts from december to start on the following october so companies will start looking as early as that. The good news is that if anyone stands a good chance to get a job in Infosec as an international student its RHUL MSc graduates. There is also a job fair in October where all big 4 and other companies come and you can do a bit of networking introduce yourself and make an impression get some contact details and hope they remember you when you apply it really helps.
Reply 27
1. I was wondering whether previous years' exam papers are freely available over UoL/RHUL website? I reckon solving them is important to score high on the exams.
We have past papers for the previous 2 years printed out by the department and given to us. On moodle we also have access to up to 5 years of past exams for all modules. It is good to solve then as you will notice on most modules there are re-occurring questions (or subjects) and you can easily tell what is important. I personally studied mostly from past papers and assignments as the lecture slides are a bit confusing when you have limited time to study since you can't tell easily what is important and what is not. Of course since there are usually about 10 chapters per module there are only so many questions you can have and you can in most cases safely choose not to study one of them if it's too hard for you since you are asked to answer 3 out of 5 questions in an exam. I found cryptography to be the exception because it never repeats questions but it has a lot of material and different questions each year are possible in this case I guess. It helps to make your own notes as you go along and note what is important when an instructor says "this is an important part of the course" its a good indication of the importance. Most modules will include at least a question that is similar to assingments/tutorials or past papers so I would say it's useful to answer them and if you have time to use them as practice.

2. Since my background is Java and related technologies, I was thinking to take Applications Security and Database Security as optional modules. But after reading your comments, I am wonder whether to take them or not. What would you suggest, especially given that I already have a Masters in Computer Science? Having said that my masters did not go into security area of Java/DBMS at all.
"Application and Business Security Developments" is good, it talks about how to include security into the development lifecycle of a software and general security issues with applications it's good knowledge overall. Software security I is very basic but it includes a chapter on Java Security however very basic I don't think it will be very useful to you considering your background. Database security I haven't done personally but you will not learn a lot about what is currently on the market in terms of databases (DBMS's) i think it mentions issues with Oracle but it talks in a more general approach it could be useful I can't say for sure. I don't know how it works for distance learning but for us it was possible to attend all optional modules for at least a couple of weeks and then decide which ones we want to register for so if you are offered a similar deal then by all means get it because during the first weeks you will be given the contents of the course and you will get a good idea of what is covered and in what depth. In my year I had some people attending all modules and they got good value from this (of course you need to have the time for it too), I don't think this is possible at other universities but it's a plus in my opinion for this MSc that you can do this.

3. In general to be more employable in Information Security area (without considering personal interest), which optional modules should one take (may be from UK’s job perspective)?
It depends on your field of interest within Infosec. I mean what type of jobs will you go for after finishing the MSc? If you're going for pentesting then do "Security Testing Theory and Practice" and something else depends if you want an easy second one or a hard one. If you're going for forensics then do "Digital Forensics" and a second one again it doesn't really matter which one I guess any one you like/have interest on for the second one. If you're going for business/managerial type job then do the "Standards and Evaluation Criteria". A good second for everyone would be Cybercrime since it talks about types of cybercrime and relevant laws it's interesting and quite fun for any kind of background. In my opinion the best value in terms of knowledge of the optional modules is currently Forensics but it may not be relevant to you. There are jobs available for all kinds of interests within Infosec, yes there are more pentesting jobs available than serious forensics jobs but I don't think every year is the same this could change next year as more and more laws and regulations are introduced in the EU that deal with Infosec. I don't believe that if you got the wrong optional modules it will have a negative effect for getting a job you want but it certainly helps you prove that you have the skills they need if you do have them and it will possibly mean you get to the next stage of the interview easier. Be warned however, in UK employment procedures for big organisations are lengthy and have as may as 3 interviews and 5 tests and can take months to reach the end of everything at which point everything on your CV will be checked your references will be contacted and your degrees double checked with your previous unis. It helps to get an agent if you can't find something as they will do all the work for you and get paid by the employer not by you, but some companies (Google is a good example) don't deal with agents at all so you will need to apply directly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Thanks for all these information,
Please, i need to know whether we need to purchase some books or we can source all from the library?
What other materials do we need to have handy,what are the options of getting jobs while studying to aid student finance.
Also, I come from a computer science background and really don't know which path to follow, i intended making distinction,is it achievable?
What are the necessary things to be done on arrival to ease settling in?
Thanks and God bless you.
Reply 29
Euph0ria ... I cant thank you enough for all this gr8 info ... I have a clear picture now of wat to expect !

how does the attendance system work? is it ok if i take a couple of weeks off in between? are they gonna be ok if i miss a class or two in between?

and do they have routers and switches in a lab environment? which can be configured?

apart from Uk, what are my chances of getting a job say in the U.S.A or other EURO countries?

thanks a million !!!
Reply 30
I need to know whether we need to purchase some books or we can source all from the library?
You are not required to purchase books to attend lectures, all lecture materials are done in slides by the lecturers and printouts are handed out to you each week. You can study from the handouts and your personal notes that you make on them for most courses. Any additional reading you want to do is optional and you do it if you think you need it, there are two libraries on campus the Bedford library has the InfoSec books you can check online when they are available and then go to the library and borrow them for a small fee (postgrads get to keep them a bit longer than undergrads for the same fee). If you need additional reading, each module lecturer gives you a list of additional reading books and material that he/she suggests and you can pick any of those. Also amazon does great deals and you can find used books for very cheap. Also the university bookstore on campus has started this year a thing where they match or beat amazon prices for new books so you get good prices if you need to buy something new.

What other materials do we need to have handy,what are the options of getting jobs while studying to aid student finance.
Other materials other than the above lecture handouts and additional reading? I would say you need a computer/laptop obviously and a printer. In regards to jobs there are plenty of part time opportunities. I don't know how much they pay but I believe it would be possible to do a part-time job at the same time without stressing too much as long as you stop working in April and study for the exams and then do the project. There is a careers office on campus that works full-time to find part-time jobs for students or get them in contact with jobs however it will be very hard to find something related to Infosec so you might have to do anything available. There are also part-time job fairs every couple of months where recruiters come and students go to get jobs or advice on their CV etc. You might not find something in the area as Egham is a small village-type of town but Staines is 5 min with the train from Egham and they have plenty of restaurants/shops/some offices where its easier to find something temporary.

Also, I come from a computer science background and really don't know which path to follow, i intended making distinction,is it achievable?
Coming from a Computer Science background you will find the modules easy enough to understand but you will need studying for the exams. The pathways are quite a simple selection I believe: if you want to work in the technical side of Infosec (pentesting, forensics, reversing-malware analysis, network security) then go to the technical path, if you have some experience and want to move into management then go to the business path. If you believe the technical path is boring after a CSC degree then go for business. It doesn't really matter so much if you have knowledge of networks then you will be fine doing the Security Technologies module of the Business path instead of the two technical modules of the technical path as its a less detailed version of those two. Business path has law but I believe it will be replaced by another module this year. Other than that there is no difference since you will choose the optional modules you want/like. Personally I would choose in regards to what jobs I want to apply to immediately after the MSc and choose relevant modules to that. Unless you want to go for a PhD, you need to get return on your money after the MSc by getting a good job that's the point of the MSc. Distinction is definitely achievable since it means 70% or more in UK. Provided that you make sure you understand the material when you are taught it and then do some study and testing you knowledge on past papers until you're sure you can answer everything then you can make distinction. Because the overall grade is a mixture of: 50% average of core modules, 25% average of optional modules and 25% your project grade you will find that even if you do a bit worse (say 50) on one of the exams you can make up for it by doing really well (say 80) on two of the other exams.

What are the necessary things to be done on arrival to ease settling in?
I don't know much about visa requirements etc but if you're international you should sort that out first. You should pay your fees and get spending money for the first couple of months with you before you get here because you will not be able to open a bank account until you get enrolment confirmation and enrolment takes place right before the beginning of courses so it could take some weeks to get the necessary things in place to open an account and you need to pay tuition before you start so I would not get into that circle (endless loop) I have seen many people (including me) get into it and you will not get help or sympathy from the university. Apply for accommodation as soon as you get an offer to make sure you have it secured there is not enough accommodation for everyone on campus and the outside rent market is very rough with agents trying to steal every penny from you and make you feel desperate/take advantage of the fact you are international/non-local. If you do rent outside the campus you will be required to pay 6 months up front unless you have a British guarantor and then they ask for an UK bank account to set up direct payments for the electricity and gas in your name so again you need a bank account which you can't get without an address which you can't get without a bank account so the endless loop again. The easiest would be to go for campus accommodation. The cheapest would be to find 5 other people and rent/share a house together but this could take some time so either come earlier and be prepared to live in a hotel until you find accommodation or apply for campus accommodation fast. When you arrive you will have a departmental induction by the ISG MSc department they will give you a welcome pack with all details na important dates you need to know. To settle into your accommodation you will probably need additional things like maybe a printer or some household stuff, there is a Homebase (home stuff) and an Argos (cheap electronics) in Staines however if you look online on ebay or search current special offers in Google shopping you can find it much cheaper. Walk down to Egham and get familiar with Tesco thats where you will be shopping for the rest of the year, avoid The Store on campus for big shoppings as they are much more expensive than Tesco. Make a NUS card at the student union to get discounts at shops and add the ISIC (i think total 11 pounds) then go make a student rail card it will be much cheaper to travel by train with it if you plant to visit london and other parts of UK you get 33% discount so for london you get 4 pounds discount everytime you travel its worth it in my opinion. Finally, go to the welcome diner by the ISG department and meet other students make friends and form a study group its good to discuss things even if you laugh and make fun of stuff it will help you trust me especially for Security Management. Try to network as much as you can both with employers at career events and with fellow students because if you stay in UK after the MSc you will need them to get jobs some will even be your colleagues.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
how does the attendance system work? is it ok if i take a couple of weeks off in between?
There is no attendance taken. A I mentioned before, the grade for modules is 100% your final exam grade and nothing else counts towards it. Actually nobody will notice especially in core modules with so many students. You can safely take a week or two when absolutely necessary. If you can study the material on your own that would be even better the lecture slides are usually up on moodle (if not you may have to get them from the administration when you get back to uni) and if there are assignments or tutorials that you want to do during those weeks you can usually email your assignments to the lecturers and explain you were not able to attend and for the tutorials visit them during office hours and ask questions if you have any most lecturers are very understanding once you find them; that could be a bit difficult but you could always make an appointment by email to see them. Also, there is a whole month between semester 1 and semester 2 (christmas holidays etc) with no lectures.

and do they have routers and switches in a lab environment? which can be configured?
Unfortunately they don't as far as I'm aware at least for MSc students I don't know if any of the PhD students in the department have any you could use. Since this is an MSc degree it's not so technical in nature like say CCNA,CEH or other technical certifications so you won't be doing any of these things. In Network Security everything is taught there is no hands-on, in Security Testing (optional module) there are about 4 lab sessions that cover basic things you learn during the course like nmap commands, portscans etc. There is no other hands-on labs on the MSc.

apart from Uk, what are my chances of getting a job say in the U.S.A or other EURO countries?
Other EURO countries I would say as good as UK since UK offices for big 4 for example are usually the largest and the rest will be influenced by them. However I don't know whether other countries follow such a "fair and extensive" recruitment process for example smaller countries tend to hire people someone recommends or people they know instead of people who "deserve" the position. There are many countries in the EU I would say it depends of the company and the country. I would think that countries like Germany and France work the same as UK and that Mediterranean countries like Spain Portugal Greece are more laid back but this is not absolute for all companies. If they do hire according to degree and uni I would say they must know the RHUL MSc at least in Infosec department. As for U.S.A I have no idea but I heard of a couple of people who graduated last year (before me) who got offered good jobs with better paying salary than the UK and employers were aware of RHUL Infosec group. Also, I don't know if it's an option for you but Australia at the moment is doing quite well and not very affected by the whole recession thing they are offering very good salaries in Infosec. They key point to remember that employers are faced with Infosec positions to fill, many graduates that hold irrelevant degrees and some experience OR graduates from this MSc and they will choose this MSc every time because it's better for them if you have a good overall knowledge (compared to none at all or extremely specialised). Also a last thing which became obvious to me during the MSc: since this field is a fairly new introduction into the professional services world, not a big deal is known in general and there are areas that are still vague and employers will sometime test you for your communication,teamwork,leaderships capabilities rather than your infosec knowledge where these skills do make quite a difference so it would be good to sharpen them and have a gameplan for interviews as you really need to be able to sell yourself in order to stand out.
Reply 32
Thanks , I applied for accomodation in April/May, how long does it take to get

notified about the placement.

Also, talking about exams : any at the end of first semester or we have to take

all by April?

If I have interest in tokens/smartcard module,can I still chose any other two optional module to join?

Is lecture recording permitted?

Is there a salon on campus since I read that using hairdryer and some stuffs can burn off fuse?
Reply 33
thanks Euph0ria

are there any practical exams?? Can you brief me more about digital Forensics ? is it got to do with stuff like digital signatures etc or completely diff?

how far is the train station from rhul , is it walkable ?

and if im coming back alone from london ? is it safe to walk around egham in late night hours??

and how is the scene in medicine? is it any good? wats the entry fee like?
(edited 11 years ago)
Awesome euph0ria!!! You are helping new and prospective students so much. Thank you :-)

Few more questions.

1. How good one should be in Networking before starting MSc Infosec? This has always been my weak point and would appreciate if you could let me know what should I already know in Computer Network subject? Should one be competent at low-level concepts like what all those bits do in those TCP/UDP packets?

2. Do Distance Learning (non EU) students hold a chance to get into those big 4 companies that you mentioned after completing MSc? Did you even meet one?

Also, please check your private message.

Thank you.
Reply 35
I applied for accomodation in April/May, how long does it take to get notified about the placement.
I don't know about this but keep calling the housing office to ask about the status of your application so that you don't get any last minute surprises.

Also, talking about exams : any at the end of first semester or we have to take all by April?
Unfortunately all exams are in May. I did not like/understand this either but I think they do it so that the people who do it part-time or block mode only need to get days off once a year.

If I have interest in tokens/smartcard module,can I still chose any other two optional module to join?
We were allowed to choose any 3 we want but only the two top grades are chosen to count towards your overall grade. Starting this year however this could change with the introduction of "tracks", they are discussing making the people who select a specific track take the specific two optional modules that correspond to that track. There are no updates currently on this so I assume they will let you know between now and September.

Is lecture recording permitted?
Usually yes unless the lecturer says otherwise. I have not seen a lecturer prohibit recording but there was one who warned us that we can use recordings but all copyrights belong to him so we are not allowed to sell the recordings for money (as this happened in a previous year).

Is there a salon on campus since I read that using hairdryer and some stuffs can burn off fuse?
Many of my friends use hairdryers and no problem so far. If you mean burn the fuse because its a different voltage then yes but you could bring a transformer or whatever its called. There is no salon on campus but there are about 5 salons in Englefield Green (opposite side of the road) and about 8 in Egham (5 minute walk) so lots of choices.
Reply 36
are there any practical exams??
No none, all exams are written exams that take exactly 2 hours during which you have to answer 3 questions out of 5. Some modules have essay type questions that get 25 points each and others have smaller sub-questions in each question that can get anything from 1 to 15 marks each. Final exams are out of 75 and then (after they are graded) they get transformed into a grade out of 100.

Can you brief me more about digital Forensics ? is it got to do with stuff like digital signatures etc or completely diff?
The module summary for forensics is here: http://www.isg.rhul.ac.uk/node/328
Also in this PDF on page 26 you can find additional reading for this module so that you can get an idea of what it includes
http://www.rhul.ac.uk/studyhere/prospectus/brochures/informationsecuritymsc.pdf

how far is the train station from rhul , is it walkable ?
Depends what is your idea of walkable and depends on the weather as well. Its about 2km (or 1.2 miles) from the main entrance of the uni. I think it takes about 20 min if you walk slowly. But if you live in accommodation down around the Hub you can take the road behind the uni to the station which is half the distance (about 10 min). From the main gate you can also take the bus to the station. There is a university bus goes every 30min/1hour to the train station for 1 pound. Right outside the main entrance there is a bus station and you can also get other local buses for 1 pound that will take you close to the station. Personally I find it walkable and quite a small distance for me because I like walking but when it rains (or snows!) you might want to get the bus.

and if im coming back alone from london ? is it safe to walk around egham in late night hours??
There are buses from Egham to the Uni up until 10pm and they start again at 6am. There are trains from London back to Egham up until midnight and they start again at 5am. You can walk from the station to the uni no problem in my opinion but if you're a girl it might be scary because you can see some drunk students walking around screaming and being nasty especially in the weekends. But you can always get a taxi from the train station there is a taxi office in Egham its called Gemini get their number and keep it in your wallet just in case they come to pick you up from the station in 2 min and usually there are some taxis waiting in the parking outside the station anyway, they charge I think 4 pounds to take you to the Uni.

and how is the scene in medicine? is it any good? wats the entry fee like?
It's a student club where students from all years hang out. So you can imagine that there are "kids" aged starting at 17 (or something with friends younger). The reason I mention this is to prepare you that sometimes you will find some things silly especially if you're over 25 but other than that its good fun. Go with an open mind and you will have fun. Be warned though, drinks are of limited variety and usually horrible so stick to something that comes in a bottle. They rarely have entry fee at medicine (usually the SU has entry fee only) but for some events they do it shouldn't be more than 5 pounds and they do this thing that if you print some "voucher/ticket" thing from the SU website you don't have to pay or sometimes the event says: anyone who is dressed up according to the event theme gets in free (Halloween for example was like this). There are many theme parties (like 2 each month) where people dress up and go to medicine, thats fun too. If you're fed up of medicine you can go to the club at the Student Union they recently renovated and have some pretty good events going on. Also, you can get some friends and share a taxi to windsor (10 min drive) where they have proper clubs. Or get friends and hire a minibus to take you to London for a night out and then bring you back. Also some societies will arrange nights out for cheap for members I saw a couple of them this year but I didn't ask what society they were. Watch the "events guide" on the website of the Rhul Student Union for a calendar of events.
Reply 37
1. How good one should be in Networking before starting MSc Infosec? Should one be competent at low-level concepts like what all those bits do in those TCP/UDP packets? Not necessarily you can pick it up or do a bit of extra reading and you'll be fine. The network security course begins with the usual introduction of what are the OSI layers and TCP/IP layers etc etc. Then you build on that and you learn security specific issues around the basic networking areas. I don't think it's any harder to keep up with than some of the other modules it's just things you need to learn and do well in the exam. Think of the first time you were taught how to program, it wasn't hard it was just something new.

2. Do Distance Learning (non EU) students hold a chance to get into those big 4 companies that you mentioned after completing MSc? Did you even meet one?
Non-EU students certainly stand a change however its harder than EU students because employers have to be 100% convinced you're suitable for the position in order to arrange for a visa. But I don't know how it would work for distance learning students since you have to do face-to-face interviews and tests and their offices (they call them assessment days) as part of the recruitment process. I personally know two people (one is of asian origin, one from an european country outside the EU) who have got a job this year as international students and they are starting september, and a third one that is on the final stages of interviews at one of the big 4. I also met people who finished last year before me that are international students and they currently work in UK. I have never met any distance learning students though, so I don't know about them in specific.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Good info so far. A couple of questions from me, if I may.
Which of the residential halls are the closest to where the course is held?
Is Gowar the most popular choice for MSc InfoSec people?
Are there any quiet study rooms available in the library?
Cheers!
Reply 39
Which of the residential halls are the closest to where the course is held?
The closest one would be the Founders building but it's only for undergraduates. However by closer I mean maybe 200metres closer. All the buildings on campus are pretty close together except for Kingswood but the uni has a bus going there every half hour and back to campus. Rhul is not like Oxford or Cambridge where all buildings are scattered around the town so wherever you stay will be fine since all academic buildings are on the main campus and accommodation is just down (or up/ or across) the road. If you look in Google maps they have the buildings named. Most of the modules take place in Bourne Lecture Theatres inside Bourne and Wolfson Laboratories. The library is there too. Some courses and the industrial speeches are at Jane Holloway Lecture Hall. Some optional modules I've seen in Founders (Main Lecture Theatre) and the furthest one is Wettons Annexe which is literary across the road. The departments of Mathematics which is our department (don't ask me why) is in the McCrea Building. So you see nothing is further that 500metres tops on campus.

Is Gowar the most popular choice for MSc InfoSec people?
Most people I know live there and a couple in Tuke and another couple of them in Penrose Court. Any accommodation you get will be close to everyone else as I mentioned above. Also most catered MSc students meet at the Hub for lunch and dinner.

Are there any quiet study rooms available in the library?
The Bedford library is not very quiet as its in the middle of everything people passing by, it has a coffee shop and its sort of a meeting place. There is an upstairs floor but its all in the same "room" it's not separated by walls so it can get noisy. The other Library in Founders is quiet though. You could also go to the computer lab to study. Don't go to the main one MSc students have access to another lab in the international building which is quiet and a lab in our department (McCrea building) which is always empty as it's next to offices and administration, and you can also print black&white for free in the departmental lab.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending