The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Etoile
Ah did you find it useful?
That's a shame. :sexface:
Looks like you have found your niche! I'll admit Selwyn is on my list purely for location. I can't remember why I'm not considering Pembroke though, might have been because I didn't like their website :colondollar:

Not really I have to say. It's all the stuff I'd read already. Did you find it useful?
Calm yourself down. Did those posh boys in suits give you a hot flush?
I have. It's great! You should apply! If you both get in, I'll hold a party....a tea party! :tongue: Sadly I don't think I'll get in.
Reply 101
Original post by Kidioteque
As for preparation, I'm trying to do as much as is possible, what with the looming summer exams and a semi-hectic social life. Reading the recommended books, as well as bits of texts from further afield (e.g. Kant & Bentham); getting work experience (1 week in a combined court, 1 week at a chambers and more to come after exams); doing 'relevant' extracurriculars (debating); doing a law-related EPQ (to also be begun after exams); and keeping up to date with current affairs. Hopefully if I can fulfil the above to a good enough standard, it'll hold me in good stead for my application :smile:

Sorry to jump in but I felt I had to save you from the pain you're looking to inflict on yourself...
Whatever you do, don't read Kant straight- it's the philosophy equivalent of shotting Absinthe (gives you a headache straight away)!!

If you're looking for some nice philosophy to read with a kind of legal edge then try Mill's "On Liberty" and Michael Sandell's "Justice". "Justice" has sections on utilitarianism and deontology so you can get a bit of Kant without the headache :smile:
If you've gone ahead and read any of Kant's critical essays already then you are a much braver man then I will ever be woman!
Reply 102
Original post by Etoile

Oh hello. :colone: What made you choose King's? And what kind of reading did you do? :ahee:

Hey! Well as an international student, I never actually got to visit Cambridge until my interview day, so I basically chose King's because it is one of the most central colleges, it's super old and beautiful (which I love, because I come from a country where everything's new Canada!) and I also heard that King's is really politically active, which I personally like. It's not a super big college, and not a super small one either, which is nice. But really, I kind of just chose King's because it's the most beautiful of all the colleges haha :colondollar:

As for reading... I realized afterwards that I didn't read nearly as much as most Oxbridge languages applicants on TSR! For German [ab initio], I read some Kafka, poetry by Rilke, but focused mainly on history (which I really love and got asked about at interview as well!) For French, I really like symbolist poetry (Verlaine, Baudelaire, and especially Rimbaud) and existentialism/absurdism I read Huis Clos (Sartre), L'étranger (Camus), En attendant Godot (Beckett) and La cantatrice chauve (Ionesco <3). I also watched some French & German films as well!

Hope this helps somewhat :smile: x
Reply 103
Original post by 05038bj
Sorry to jump in but I felt I had to save you from the pain you're looking to inflict on yourself...
Whatever you do, don't read Kant straight- it's the philosophy equivalent of shotting Absinthe (gives you a headache straight away)!!

If you're looking for some nice philosophy to read with a kind of legal edge then try Mill's "On Liberty" and Michael Sandell's "Justice". "Justice" has sections on utilitarianism and deontology so you can get a bit of Kant without the headache :smile:
If you've gone ahead and read any of Kant's critical essays already then you are a much braver man then I will ever be woman!

Haha, to be fair I said "bits of" Kant and Bentham - I got Philosophy of Law by the former (it was free on Kindle :tongue:) and quickly realised that a) I wouldn't want to read it cover-to-cover, and b) I wouldn't need to. Thanks though, will check out Sandell's book - it was his Justice series of lectures which first got me interested in jurisprudence. :smile:

Congrats on your offer(s) by the way - would love to message you some time with a few questions, if that's okay? :smile:
Original post by Etoile
I went on that! That's where I saw the posh people :tongue:

You are applying in our year! :woo: Your education confuses me :tongue:

:nothing:

Que pasa?
Original post by Etoile
Ah did you find it useful?
That's a shame. :sexface:
Looks like you have found your niche! I'll admit Selwyn is on my list purely for location. I can't remember why I'm not considering Pembroke though, might have been because I didn't like their website :colondollar:

Regarding Emma - I see that you have a swimming pool. :colone: Does anyone actually use it or is it too cold?

I'm not at Emma yet by the way, but I hear it's too cold to be used up until around may time, then it's opened so everyone goes there to relax after exams (if weather permits it).
Reply 106
Haha, to be fair I said "bits of" Kant and Bentham - I got Philosophy of Law by the former (it was free on Kindle :tongue:) and quickly realised that a) I wouldn't want to read it cover-to-cover, and b) I wouldn't need to. Thanks though, will check out Sandell's book - it was his Justice series of lectures which first got me interested in jurisprudence. :smile:

Congrats on your offer(s) by the way - would love to message you some time with a few questions, if that's okay? :smile:

Good good, glad to hear it! I think you're still brave attempting even bits of him though- whilst we look at sections of other Philosophers' works as part of Philosophy A Level there is an unspoken rule that Kant can only ever be studied through scholars :P

Yeah that's absolutely fine! Your extra curriculars sound incredibly similar to what I did and my EPQ was on a piece of Jurisprudence too, so hopefully I can be of some help!
Original post by wibletg
7 AS's :eek:

How did you do in January? If you survived you're on the right track :tongue:

Sounds like a lot - not so horrific when you know the context:

-Maths
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Biology
-English Lit
-French
-Fine Art

The Sciences overlap quite a bit (especially Physics and Maths) and English is just eloquent waffling - although I think English is the one I'm most worried about... :sadnod:

Spoiler

Original post by Etoile

:penguinhug:
Lily. Please stop being so hard on yourself. I know why you do it but sometimes you can accept that you are amazing :tongue:

Original post by wcp100
I don't think she's just on the right track, I think she's on several of them!!!!

Original post by Etoile
The right track follows Lily instead of the other way around :lol:

Oi - stop it! I'm not half as smart as you lot. I'm just a restless person who has to be doing a lot all the time.

In other words: I get bored easily and it's misinterpreted as cleverness :rolleyes:

Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
Que pasa?

Eee - some of my favourite people are here! :grin:

I want to finish an essay before midnight, so I best be off. But I hope you're both okay :redface:
Original post by Lily Academia

I want to finish an essay before midnight, so I best be off. But I hope you're both okay :redface:

Same here. I have a feeling this is where the remnants of the "Current year 12" thread will transfer to - everyone there seems to be here, and this is more vibrant now.
Good luck with your essay, and please stop saying you're anything short of academically outstanding!
Reply 110
Original post by wcp100
Not really I have to say. It's all the stuff I'd read already. Did you find it useful?
Calm yourself down. Did those posh boys in suits give you a hot flush?
I have. It's great! You should apply! If you both get in, I'll hold a party....a tea party! :tongue: Sadly I don't think I'll get in.

Ah :frown: Did you go to the subject talks? I thought those were good. I went to the MML one and the Oriental studies/AMES one because I was bored but it turned out to be interesting :lol: It was so weird sitting in the MML one though, and knowing that all the people surrounding you were ones you will have to beat to get in.
Well, it was a warm day... :wink: Joking, I do have a bit of a thing for suits though :lol:
I am going to the Pembroke open day now. :colone: A tea party would be awesome! :ahee: And somebody's got to get in, why not you :tongue:
Reply 111
Oi - stop it! I'm not half as smart as you lot. I'm just a restless person who has to be doing a lot all the time.

In other words: I get bored easily and it's misinterpreted as cleverness :rolleyes:

I'm not smart at all! My brain just works oddly. It's really something to be good in so many subjects, Lil. You get bored easily because you are clever and your brain wants something to do :tongue:

Original post by hassi94
I'm not at Emma yet by the way, but I hear it's too cold to be used up until around may time, then it's opened so everyone goes there to relax after exams (if weather permits it).

Ahh awesome :smile: Congrats on getting in! Emma is the only college I've visited so far and it seemed very nice.

Que pasa?

Lo siento pero no hablo espagnol :tongue: But yeah, you are really clever >.<

Original post by -raisa
Hey! Well as an international student, I never actually got to visit Cambridge until my interview day, so I basically chose King's because it is one of the most central colleges, it's super old and beautiful (which I love, because I come from a country where everything's new Canada!) and I also heard that King's is really politically active, which I personally like. It's not a super big college, and not a super small one either, which is nice. But really, I kind of just chose King's because it's the most beautiful of all the colleges haha :colondollar:

As for reading... I realized afterwards that I didn't read nearly as much as most Oxbridge languages applicants on TSR! For German [ab initio], I read some Kafka, poetry by Rilke, but focused mainly on history (which I really love and got asked about at interview as well!) For French, I really like symbolist poetry (Verlaine, Baudelaire, and especially Rimbaud) and existentialism/absurdism I read Huis Clos (Sartre), L'étranger (Camus), En attendant Godot (Beckett) and La cantatrice chauve (Ionesco <3). I also watched some French & German films as well!

Hope this helps somewhat :smile: x

Awesome, pretty good reasons! Plus I guess it is the one people have probably heard of the most in Canada?
Oh wow, that's really encouraging - I also love Verlaine and I've read l'Étranger and La cantatrice chauve too! Absurdism is brilliant :lol: Thank you so much :smile: Did you have to submit work or sit an entry test for King's? I don't know if that would be different being international though. How many interviews did you have? Were they in English? Sorry for all the questions! :L
Original post by Etoile

Lo siento pero no hablo espagnol :tongue: But yeah, you are really clever >.<

Me neither. Thanks, so are you, and probably much more than me!. Still, Cambridge takes only the best of the best of the best of the best (ad infinitum).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 113
Me neither. Thanks, so are you, and probably much more than me!. Still, Cambridge takes only the best of the best of the best of the best (ad infinitum).

That, hasta manana and una abeja are literally the only phrases I consciously know in Spanish :lol: Deeeeeeeeeefinitely not. My expertise is only in languages whereas everyone else is multidisciplinary, and I'm looking likely to fail half my subjects at the moment (and by fail, I mean not get an A :tongue:). If I don't get 90% in Italian then I probably won't even apply. It's hard to tell unless you know where everyone else is at, Arva - you might be overestimating the competition :tongue:
Reply 114

Feeling the same! Good luck with the essay, catch you tomorrow :top:

Original post by 05038bj
Good good, glad to hear it! I think you're still brave attempting even bits of him though- whilst we look at sections of other Philosophers' works as part of Philosophy A Level there is an unspoken rule that Kant can only ever be studied through scholars :P

Yeah that's absolutely fine! Your extra curriculars sound incredibly similar to what I did and my EPQ was on a piece of Jurisprudence too, so hopefully I can be of some help!

Haha - perhaps more stupid than brave!

Brilliant, thanks so much. Will PM you! :smile:
Reply 115
Original post by SixteenHundred

Wow, sounds like you're really prepared then! My friends who do Philosophy are forever recommending Kant. And you're doing the EPQ? We start in summer as well, though I haven't come up with a vaguely literary question yet. Yeah, you can probably tell I'm trying to read a lot. I'm woefully ignorant of poetry and am trying to make up for it now; I'm relatively good on drama and 19th century lit, as well as a few of the classical epics from GCSE Latin/Greek. I've been to the RSC Summer School for three years (with this August coming as my fourth). But I'm just trying to get a good grounding so I can have some basis to approach more difficult texts.

I hear he's very difficult to get into, but hopefully just dipping in and out, as well as using excerpts provided by scholars, will get me by. :smile:

I'm sure you'll be fine - it sounds like you're genuinely passionate and making the effort in all the right areas! And as for the EPQ, I wouldn't stress, I'm sure summer will give you plenty of time to get the creativity flowing :smile:

Original post by AK0001
I was so shocked. At the time I just thought to myself that he's not trying to put me off, it's just the way he thinks and does things, that approach sort of helped! Haha, I am indeed Mr Khan :tongue:.

It was in essence about the issues that arise from a contract. Something about a supplier emailing a consumer about a potential sale of an item, then the supplier sells it to another consumer. The original person goes to buy the good, only to find out that it has already been sold. I don't remember it all, sorry!

I told him that the first line was irrelevant, as was line two and a few others. He didn't seem too pleased, but I was sure that the lines in question had little to do with the issues involved.

They probably admired your courage! Takes balls to say what the interviewer might not necessarily 'want' to hear, and it seems to have worked out well for you :wink: All the best for meeting your offer anyway, and I hope to speak to you soon about it all!
My short-list of Colleges I liked the look/ feel of (when I went to Cambridge last year) is:
Christ's, Clare, Downing, Emmanuel, Homerton, Jesus, Pembroke, Trinity

My short-list of Courses I liked the look of from the prospectus and from various conferences:
Maths, NatSci, Philosophy, English, Engineering, Medicine, VetMed

"short-list" :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Also, I'm following this thread as it is full of so many talented and smart users.
Original post by Etoile
That, hasta manana and una abeja are literally the only phrases I consciously know in Spanish :lol: Deeeeeeeeeefinitely not. My expertise is only in languages whereas everyone else is multidisciplinary, and I'm looking likely to fail half my subjects at the moment (and by fail, I mean not get an A :tongue:). If I don't get 90% in Italian then I probably won't even apply. It's hard to tell unless you know where everyone else is at, Arva - you might be overestimating the competition :tongue:

I don't know where everybody else is at but I'd hesitate to place myself among the truly elite in the country regardless. Your confidence in me is encouraging though, hopefully mine in you works the same. I'm sure you'll get straight As, you're fantastic at languages. (I'll never understand how).
Original post by blackraven
really happy you said that because i have a couple of questions. What college did you apply to? what were your gcse grades and your ums scores? did you get called for an interview and if you did, how was it and what feedback did you receive? how many work experience placements/voluntary work did you have? what other medical schools did you apply to?

Hi happy to be at your service:smile:

I applied to St Catharine's and got an interview. From my feedback, there were 55 applicants and 35 got interviews for 11 places so I was lucky to even get to interview stage. My GCSE grades are 8A* 2A (and Distinction in ICT if it counts) and 4A's at AS level which is pretty standard. I only had work experience at a surgery the damn hospitals wouldn't give me any. However I do/did a lot of volunteering: hospital, charity shop, learning mentor at care home, St John Ambulance, and a school. As far as Cambridge is concerned you only need 1 work experience placement I would say but def try to get as much as you can for your other unis.

My UMS score were as follows:
Maths 269/300
Chemistry 273/300
Biology 288/300
Physics 281/300

They're probably below average of the average offer holder (about 95% across best 3). Although my feedback said my application was a strong one :rolleyes: and my UMS score were great, I kind of disagree :tongue:

As for the interview, I had 2. The first one was a bit iffy because I got all the hard questions right but messed up on simple mole calculations, serial dilutions etc. The second interview was hard but I did Ok I think. My feedback said "your interviews were somewhat disappointing because the questions on your schoolwork were not clearly answered". I think that is pretty accurate feedback...messed up on easy stuff.

I've applied to Notts bham and leicester and have had 3/4 interviews but rejections from camb notts and bham so got leicester left now.

That's why I'm already thinking of reapplying. Not so sure about medicine at camb because as a med reapplicant I think it's better to play it safe with med choices.

Thinking of nat sci because I was initially planning to do a science degree and go into research. May put it down as a 5th choice next year as that's the only course that really feels right.

A tip for interviews, don't get flustered if you get one thing wrong becasue it will go downhill. Also work your bloody arse off for the bmat and make sure you revise for it effectively.

Oh yeah any more questions let me know
(edited 12 years ago)
Sounds like a lot - not so horrific when you know the context:

-Maths
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Biology
-English Lit
-French
-Fine Art

The Sciences overlap quite a bit (especially Physics and Maths) and English is just eloquent waffling - although I think English is the one I'm most worried about... :sadnod:

Spoiler

:eek: That still sounds like a terrifying number! I don't think we've spoken before actually but clearly you live up to your username :hat2:. Are you planning on dropping any for A2? I guess English, as your options sound really similar to those of my friends who're hopeful medics!

I hear he's very difficult to get into, but hopefully just dipping in and out, as well as using excerpts provided by scholars, will get me by. :smile:

I'm sure you'll be fine - it sounds like you're genuinely passionate and making the effort in all the right areas! And as for the EPQ, I wouldn't stress, I'm sure summer will give you plenty of time to get the creativity flowing :smile:

Yeah, as someone's already said I think Kant's most accessible through a third party! Or dipping in and out, the greatest practice ever invented for those of us dumb enough to take more than one arts subject and incur a month's worth of reading in a week. :colone: I love it really...

That's what I'm hoping! You sound incredibly committed as well. Seems like you'd make a great lawyer!

Latest

Trending

Trending