The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh wait do you have to book for the open days? I remember just going (without booking anything) to the Oxford one last September.... :confused:
Reply 1181
Hi
My son had school visits to Oxford and Cambridge and really enjoyed his stay at Kings.
That was the only reason. He had an unconditional offer from Durham but seems very happy with Caius
Hi,
I believe to have found the right course at the right university. It's hopefully going to be Economics at Cambridge. However, the College-Questions remains not answered.

Does anyone has any ineteresting economics related extracurricular activities?
Reply 1183
Original post by h2shin

I know it's a little ugly on the outside but it's so lovely inside.

This is what my mum says about me :tongue:.
Original post by Etoile
I don't think suffice is the word you're looking for there :tongue: And yeah, obviously they take a lot of other things into account - interview, test?, grades, personal statement etc. so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Trinity is only two fifths women and in such a large college, that's going to be quite a big disparity. I don't want to feel out of place, particularly since they have so many mathematicians whose intelligence I find slightly intimidating :lol:
Plus they have a lot of private schoolers and Tories, so even more out of place haha!
9% Jesus Christ! Don't blame you, although obviously your application is very competitive :smile:
I don't think the food can be that bad, and anyhow it'll probably be better than what you'd end up cooking for yourself :tongue: Caius is pretty high on my list as well actually, because if my calculations are correct then a 44% success rate for MML :colone:
That is a very high offer :lolwut:

Yeah, hopefully, guess I'm just becoming increasingly nervy about the whole thing - and I haven't even done my exams yet! So I guess I should focus on getting the results which will enable me to apply rather than worrying about colleges at this point haha. Fair enough re: Trinity! I think Caius looks great, and the alternative prospectus entry for it sort of hit the nail on the head in terms of what I'm looking for in a college: "a college that mixes the best of everything".

Yeah, I'm not sure what their reasons are for having such a high standard offer. I perceive it as a desire to steal the title of "the law college" away from Downing, but that'll never happen by simply upping entrance requirements IMO. Who knows!

Anyway, gonna try to limit my time on this between now and the end of exams so if I don't speak to you before, good luck! See you on the other side :lol:
Reply 1185
Original post by Kidioteque
Yeah, hopefully, guess I'm just becoming increasingly nervy about the whole thing - and I haven't even done my exams yet! So I guess I should focus on getting the results which will enable me to apply rather than worrying about colleges at this point haha. Fair enough re: Trinity! I think Caius looks great, and the alternative prospectus entry for it sort of hit the nail on the head in terms of what I'm looking for in a college: "a college that mixes the best of everything".

Yeah, I'm not sure what their reasons are for having such a high standard offer. I perceive it as a desire to steal the title of "the law college" away from Downing, but that'll never happen by simply upping entrance requirements IMO. Who knows!

Anyway, gonna try to limit my time on this between now and the end of exams so if I don't speak to you before, good luck! See you on the other side :lol:

You're going to do amazingly :smile: Absolutely though! Revision :nothing: Awesome :smile:
Surely that would put people off from applying there?!
Good plan, me too. Good luck to you too!

Original post by SophiaSheSays
Hopefully, yes :biggrin: As I say, I´m hoping to do French and ab initio Spanish :smile:
Extra stuff... Erm... I did quite a lot of unrelated extracurricular stuff which was entirely unhelpful as far as Cambridge was concerned (D of E, volunteering etc.) but possibly went quite a long way to getting me other offers (I think Durham are particularly keen on that sort of thing), although I pretty much knew that that would be the case from the start. Perhaps the most useful thing I did Cambridge-wise was an EPQ: "Can a Text Ever Mean the Same Thing in More than One Language". Even though I hadn´t finished by the time I had my interview (I only just finished it the other week, actually :lol:), the research I´d been doing for it and my findings so far were the basis for quite a lot of the questions they asked me, or at least, it kind of let me set the agenda. About that, actually: I wrote quite a bit in my PS and SAQ about how I´m really interested in linguistics, which, coupled with the EPQ (which was basically about translation) meant that I got linguistcsy-type questions as opposed to literary ones, which was good, because I´m much more comfortable with linguistic stuff than with lit. Basically, what I´m trying to say is that you can use your extra-curriculars, PS, SAQ etc. to set yourself up for the stuff that you feel best talking about in your interview. I don´t know exactly to what extent this would work with other colleges (Downing apparently has a really strong linguistics department, which is one of the reasons I chose to apply there, and also one of my interviews was with two linguistics professors, so yeah, I don´t know how much of that was down to circumstance), but I do think that you can probably use those things to sway at least some of the questions your way, no matter the circumstances. They do say that the aim of the interview is to get you to show your strength so... :dontknow: I guess it would make sense :smile: That said, I did make sure to read a french novel (and put it in my PS), especially since my course at school is completely devoid of lit (which, combined with the fact that I haven´t studied even English Lit since GCSE - although I do do English Language A level - are what makes me a bit uncomfortable with it for the time being although I am looking forwards to studying plenty of it at uni). I also read an English translation of a Spanish novel (which reminds me - Spanish evening classes - I think they were pleased that I´d started doing something about getting ahead on the language I´ll be doing from scratch, for any other ab initio-ers out there :smile:). In the interviews, I wasn´t asked about the books at all, but I think it was probably good for them to know I´d read some lit and put in effort beyond the demands of the curriculum. Actually, I´d say that´s pretty important. The books, by the way, were "Le Grand Meaulnes" by Henri Fournier (which, by the way, I´d recommend to anyone, MMLer or not, since it is an excellent book) and "Doña Perfecta" by Galdos (which was also pretty good).
Ooft. Sorry. I went on a bit :lol: :colondollar: Still, erm, I think that´s all :smile:

Oh awesome, I'm going to do an EPQ as well, linguistic-y based, and I was wondering if they would like that or not so that's reassuring! Thank you for taking the time to reply, this was really useful! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by Etoile
Have you visited them? I was really in love with Pembroke until I actually went there :lol:

what made you dislike Pembroke if you don't mind me asking? =s
Reply 1187
Original post by Silverland
what made you dislike Pembroke if you don't mind me asking? =s

Nothing I can really pinpoint tbh, it just didn't 'click' for me :dontknow:
ahhh

that makes me reconsider everything now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Original post by Etoile
Nothing I can really pinpoint tbh, it just didn't 'click' for me :dontknow:

Are you still thinking about Emma?
Reply 1190
Original post by wcp100
Are you still thinking about Emma?

Yeahhh. That clicked I think :tongue: Are you?
Original post by Etoile
Yeahhh. That clicked I think :tongue: Are you?

Yep. I just hope I still think that after the open day.

If you wish to be added to the Cambridge Applicants for 2013 Stalking Page, just write your relevant information (course, AS Levels taken, academics, colleges being considered) in a post with me quoted in, and I'll add you to the list when I get the chance. If you feel comfortable with the wiki editing format, by all means add yourself to the table.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

If I do apply to Cambridge, then it'll be for Computer Science (with Physics). I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and German (and EPQ). For GCSE: 8 A*s, 2 As, 1 B, A in FSMQ. Thinking about applying to Gonville and Caius.
Reply 1193
Original post by wcp100
Yep. I just hope I still think that after the open day.

Are you going to the college open day in June?
Original post by Etoile
Are you going to the college open day in June?

No. They say that they open during the university open day somewhere.
Oh awesome, I'm going to do an EPQ as well, linguistic-y based, and I was wondering if they would like that or not so that's reassuring! Thank you for taking the time to reply, this was really useful!

No problem :smile: Glad it was helpful :smile: If you (or anyone else for that matter) have any more questions, please feel free to message me or quote me again or whatever. Good luck with exams :smile:
I'm becoming increasingly convinced that tomorrow's Russian History exam will spell the end of my Cambridge ambition. Brickin' it.

Good luck to everybody else! :redface:
Reply 1198
I'm becoming increasingly convinced that tomorrow's Russian History exam will spell the end of my Cambridge ambition. Brickin' it.

You have an exam already ?! good luck!
Reply 1199

You'll do amazingly!! :biggrin:

Core 2 maths for me, on the other hand... :emo:

Latest

Trending

Trending