The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
My Latin class has exactly 3 people as well!
Also, your avatar is one of the most touching images from my childhood. No lie. *Blinks a manly tear away*.

Hmm, perhaps it is the same class... :wink: There's two boys and one girl (me) in mine.

The first Pokemon film is a cinema classic. It was one of the first films I ever saw at the cinema and I think I cried. Who wouldn't though? *sob*

Just noticed in your sig that you have two GCSEs in Latin? How many modules did you do for each? Or can we just count them separately? I only did two lit and two lang, plus a terrible sources paper.
Reply 141
Hi there!
I'm doing the IB:
HL: Math, Chem, Bio, and Psych
SL: English, French, Physics
However next year I'm gonna drop biology and take HL physics instead.
I will try to apply to NatSci, but I don't think I have any chances. Their requirement for IB is 40 points at least (6 subjects, 7 points max, that makes 42 points total... you can only loose 2 points -_-), and I don't honestly know anyone at my school who either got 40, or even was predicted 40....
Original post by Kidioteque
As the thread for 2012 applicants was created at about this time last year (and the Oxford sub-forum has one too :wink: ), I figured it was about time somebody set up a thread for 2013 applicants. :smile:

Obviously some of us will be waiting to find out AS UMS scores before committing (me included), but I thought it might be good to use the thread as a place to gain motivation and chat with other prospective applicants.

If you wish to be added to the below lists, just write your relevant information (course, AS Levels taken, academics, colleges being considered) in a post, preferably with me quoted in, and I'll add you to the corresponding list when I get the chance.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Hi everyone :smile: Kinda feels weird knowing that we'll all be competing against each other haha, but yeah, the games have begun I guess :P

I'm doing the IB: HL Maths, Chem, Physics and Geography and SL English and Spanish ab initio.
8A*s, 5.5As at GCSE

Applying for Engineering (thinking of NatSci [physical] as well)

Considering Emma, Clare, Churchill, Kings, Robinson
(edited 12 years ago)
As the thread for 2012 applicants was created at about this time last year (and the Oxford sub-forum has one too :wink: ), I figured it was about time somebody set up a thread for 2013 applicants. :smile:

Obviously some of us will be waiting to find out AS UMS scores before committing (me included), but I thought it might be good to use the thread as a place to gain motivation and chat with other prospective applicants.

If you wish to be added to the below lists, just write your relevant information (course, AS Levels taken, academics, colleges being considered) in a post, preferably with me quoted in, and I'll add you to the corresponding list when I get the chance.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Hello...

course: Geography
highers taken: English, Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Geography (Predicted 5As)
advanced highers: Maths, Chemistry and Physics
Colleges being considered: Newnham and Emma
Reply 144
Original post by Fuzzy12345
Hi everyone :smile: Kinda feels weird knowing that we'll all be competing against each other haha, but yeah, the games have begun I guess :P

I'm doing the IB: HL Maths, Chem, Physics and Geography and SL English and Spanish ab initio.
8A*s, 5.5As at GCSE

Applying for Engineering (thinking of NatSci [physical] as well)

Considering Emma, Clare, Churchill, Kings, Robinson

How do you find HL Math? I have 90% at the moment, which would be like IB 6? But I'm afraid I won't be able to keep it up... How do you prepare for tests and such? Which book are you using? And also which options are you gonna do? Haha tons of questions, I know, I know. Oh.. and are you considering taking further maths?
Original post by Lenka.P
How do you find HL Math? I have 90% at the moment, which would be like IB 6? But I'm afraid I won't be able to keep it up... How do you prepare for tests and such? Which book are you using? And also which options are you gonna do? Haha tons of questions, I know, I know. Oh.. and are you considering taking further maths?

Haha no worries :P Ok...
When you say 90%, you mean like you're averaging 90% in class tests? And I'm sure that's a 7? I'm averaging like 93% and my teacher's told me that's a 7 but yeah, if it isn't then those grade boundaries are worrying :s-smilie:
Haha, know what you mean, it just gets harder and harder, first few chapters were damn easy but when you get to the latter ones, they start getting hard haha :s-smilie:
Uhh, for tests, just doing questions I find is the best way to revise for maths.
The book our school (have no idea why) uses the Bill Roberts & Sandy McKenzie one but I wouldn't recommend it - it's s***! Full of mistakes which causes you to doubt yourself. Probably best to use the Pearson's one or the revision guide.
And we're doing the Statistics option sadly :'( Our school think it's the easiest one to do cause the questions are repetitive apparently - would've loved to do Series & Differential equations.
And finally, doubt it haha - have enough work to do with IB as it is, don't think I'd have the time to teach myself all of the options and then train myself up to a good enough standard for the exam on my own seeing as my school doesn't offer it so yeah haha :P

So yeah, how're you finding IB? :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Etoile
Haha why? I am multitasking, being a woman, with revision :tongue:
You go to a grammar school, right? They probably know they can do whatever!

You spend far too much time on here. You need to do more maths!
Yes, my school doesn't have amazing results though!
Reply 147
Original post by Fuzzy12345
Haha no worries :P Ok...
When you say 90%, you mean like you're averaging 90% in class tests? And I'm sure that's a 7? I'm averaging like 93% and my teacher's told me that's a 7 but yeah, if it isn't then those grade boundaries are worrying :s-smilie:
Haha, know what you mean, it just gets harder and harder, first few chapters were damn easy but when you get to the latter ones, they start getting hard haha :s-smilie:
Uhh, for tests, just doing questions I find is the best way to revise for maths.
The book our school (have no idea why) uses the Bill Roberts & Sandy McKenzie one but I wouldn't recommend it - it's s***! Full of mistakes which causes you to doubt yourself. Probably best to use the Pearson's one or the revision guide.
And we're doing the Statistics option sadly :'( Our school think it's the easiest one to do cause the questions are repetitive apparently - would've loved to do Series & Differential equations.
And finally, doubt it haha - have enough work to do with IB as it is, don't think I'd have the time to teach myself all of the options and then train myself up to a good enough standard for the exam on my own seeing as my school doesn't offer it so yeah haha :P

So yeah, how're you finding IB? :P

Well overall it's alright... I have some trouble with english, since I only came to an english-speaking environment two years ago, but those classes like chem, bio, physics... easy so far. Psych and french are a joke. Math gets hard sometimes. I love calculus, but I can't do probability... and yes, we are also doing the Statistics option. I really wanted to do Calculus, although it's supposed to be the hardest one, it's the only one that makes sense to me haha. As for the exams, the only subjects I'm worried about is math and english. English bcz I'm doing english A1, and I can't even speak english well, and math... well it's math, you never know what you can expect. :biggrin:
Well I guess I will just study and pray for the best... Isn't that what everyone does in IB?
Reply 148
Original post by wcp100
You spend far too much time on here. You need to do more maths!
Yes, my school doesn't have amazing results though!

What are you, my conscience? :lol: Up till this week I have barely been on. I spent my lunchtime doing maths today :nothing: (no offence to the scores of mathmos out there :lol:)
Then maybe they will take their average results and try to get in wherever accepts them!

Original post by Lenka.P
Psych and french are a joke.

:unimpressed:
Hello lovely Tabby applicants :smile:

I'm a fourth year Russianist at Emma, and also Oxbridge mod, so any questions about Emma or MML hit them my way, and any moddy related requests also hit them my way. Good luck everyone! I'll be keeping an eye on you all :smile:
Original post by Lenka.P
Hi there!
I'm doing the IB:
HL: Math, Chem, Bio, and Psych
SL: English, French, Physics
However next year I'm gonna drop biology and take HL physics instead.
I will try to apply to NatSci, but I don't think I have any chances. Their requirement for IB is 40 points at least (6 subjects, 7 points max, that makes 42 points total... you can only loose 2 points -_-), and I don't honestly know anyone at my school who either got 40, or even was predicted 40....

The IB is out of 45, isn't it? Also, the only way you have no chance of getting in is if you don't apply

EDIT: I should also just say good luck to everyone!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zoedotdot
Hello lovely Tabby applicants :smile:

I'm a fourth year Russianist at Emma, and also Oxbridge mod, so any questions about Emma or MML hit them my way, and any moddy related requests also hit them my way. Good luck everyone! I'll be keeping an eye on you all :smile:

What is Emma like for a Physics college. Is it one of the traditionally NatSci/Maths strong ones like Corpus (Physics) or Trinity (Maths)? I'm still debating about whether or not to reapply, but if I were to reapply, I'm leaning towards Homerton. However, I am completely besotted by the old colleges in and around the centre, so it's a very tough decision for me. Thanks!
Original post by Oromis263
What is Emma like for a Physics college. Is it one of the traditionally NatSci/Maths strong ones like Corpus (Physics) or Trinity (Maths)? I'm still debating about whether or not to reapply, but if I were to reapply, I'm leaning towards Homerton. However, I am completely besotted by the old colleges in and around the centre, so it's a very tough decision for me. Thanks!

Why would you apply to Homerton if you're completely besotted by the ones in the centre?
Original post by Oromis263

I wouldn't set much store by colleges being 'traditionally' strong, as most teaching is centralised. I know a fair number of very strong Phys NatScis in my year at Emma, and a lot of them are going on to do PhDs. However, when you're picking a college I wouldn't go for any academic basis as the cohort of each year is very small and which college comes out best for which subject fluctuates hugely. If you like Homerton best then go for that :smile:

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

HELLO:smile:

Course: Physical NatSci (geological sci)
College preference: churchill
GCSE's: 5A* 5A 1B 1 distinction
AS subjects: maths, physics, geology, chemistry
AS jan ums: physics unit 1 120/120, geology unit 2 150/150, maths c1 97/100, chem unit 1 78/90
Predicted AS: AAAA
Original post by TheMagicMan
Why would you apply to Homerton if you're completely besotted by the ones in the centre?

Much larger college, and have contacted the admissions there to discuss my reapplication. Went for Trinity Hall this year, and it was probably not the best of decisions. However, I'll probably end up going for somewhere central anyway.
Original post by Zoedotdot
I wouldn't set much store by colleges being 'traditionally' strong, as most teaching is centralised. I know a fair number of very strong Phys NatScis in my year at Emma, and a lot of them are going on to do PhDs. However, when you're picking a college I wouldn't go for any academic basis as the cohort of each year is very small and which college comes out best for which subject fluctuates hugely. If you like Homerton best then go for that :smile:

Yeah, I know what you mean. :smile: Thing is, I still really like Trinity Hall, but have been advised not to reapply there, in order to get a 'clean slate' as such. My issues with my application last year have been resolved (1 resit later, my referee didn't put in that I distinctly felt my previous result wasn't to standard), but oh well, such is life. I am quietly determined to reapply, but it still hinges on summer results! Ah well, thanks! ^_^
Reply 157
Original post by TheMagicMan
The IB is out of 45, isn't it? Also, the only way you have no chance of getting in is if you don't apply

EDIT: I should also just say good luck to everyone!

Well I'm not sure, you see. The information on the Cambridge websites says something, our school college counselor says something else, then students say something else... I mean... the question is whether they mean 40 points out of those 42 core, or 45 (with EE and TOK grade)? Someone maybe make it clear to me? Because I am seriously confused about this...
Original post by tgarrud
Best subject :wink:
feel free to PM me about BioNatSci admissions etc.

Of course. :biggrin:
Thanks for the offer, I probably will when I come to applying. Just out of interest, which college are you at? :smile:
Original post by Lenka.P
Well I'm not sure, you see. The information on the Cambridge websites says something, our school college counselor says something else, then students say something else... I mean... the question is whether they mean 40 points out of those 42 core, or 45 (with EE and TOK grade)? Someone maybe make it clear to me? Because I am seriously confused about this...

I know several people who have offers of more than 42, so I would assume they mean that the score they want is out of 45

Latest

Trending

Trending