The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Etoile
Awesome :biggrin: I am indeed a fellow linguist, for post A-level French and German! Did you do any kind of extra-curricular stuff other than reading literature?

Not much really in terms of being super connected with languages - the usual stuff, like piano, singing, public speaking, etc. I just read lots of foreign literature (I recommend Maupassant's short stories!) and listened to foreign music. :smile: The interviewers pick up on natural passion, so that's most important :biggrin:
Definitely spent the last hour being productive. One FP2 paper, and learnt Welcome Home - Radical Face on the Ukulele. :colone:
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
I might not even belong in this thread if I make many stupid mistakes in the exams still to come... Getting very worried to be honest.

Feel like I've made my fair share of stupid mistakes so far as well... Nothing we can do now just keep your head up and get on with the rest of them, and might as well still apply regardless of UMS, there's always a chance :smile:

Original post by Maths_Lover
Hell no! There are so many chapters. I plan to get down to it soon, though. :tongue:

There are but you'll have to get used to it as Number Theory is chock-a-block with proofs. :colone:

I'm like that too! :five:

I know what you mean... whenever I think of differentiation, this springs to mind:

Spoiler

Oh no not another one, there's the whole of C3 out the window :tongue:
Original post by oli_G
I know how you feel. I wish they'd make exams harder and the grade boundaries lower.

This so much!

Early Maths modules in particular test your ability to not get your signs mixed up or misread a number/type something in your calculator wrong, and in no questions do they test actual ability.
Reply 1584
This so much!

Early Maths modules in particular test your ability to not get your signs mixed up or misread a number/type something in your calculator wrong, and in no questions do they test actual ability.

Hmm, in a way it makes the whole UMS thing a bit unfair as, to be honest, anyone getting 93+ is probably good enough to get full UMS, but may not because of these silly things.
This so much!

I think when maths exams are marked (Or exams in general actually) , if they see that you've written the right thing but the wrong answer through some stupid mistake 1+1 = 3 etc, they should follow it through and if your method is right you should still get the marks. Error carried forward to an extreme...

That's never going to happen though sadly :frown:
Original post by oli_G
Hmm, in a way it makes the whole UMS thing a bit unfair as, to be honest, anyone getting 93+ is probably good enough to get full UMS, but may not because of these silly things.

Agreed. I've actually dropped UMS in C1, but I sometimes make whole C3 or 4 papers without doing that! So annoyed.
Original post by iCiaran

Oh no not another one, there's the whole of C3 out the window :tongue:

I have plenty more where that came from. :colone: I won't post them or I won't do any more work either. :tongue:
Original post by Etoile
An MML-er :woo: Which languages are you going to study, may I ask? :smile:

They clearly have good taste :yep: Blimey though, that's a shame! I presume they'll be doing ab initio then? I have a feeling my German class will shrink to about five, and if I do Italian then I'll be one of three...the other two being Italians :lol: Languages need to be appreciated more! :fuhrer:

nahh, i think one girl is doing french and spanish (boo not deutsch) post a-level, and the other girl is doing french and italian (ab-initio)... you have any ideas about colleges yet? tbh i really dont care, but i like the idea of catz/emma/christs mostly...of course it could change tho
Reply 1589
Agreed. I've actually dropped UMS in C1, but I sometimes make whole C3 or 4 papers without doing that! So annoyed.

In C1 I dropped a few from forgetting to expand a bracket properly :angry:
Reply 1590
Original post by anna-chipie 95
nahh, i think one girl is doing french and spanish (boo not deutsch) post a-level, and the other girl is doing french and italian (ab-initio)... you have any ideas about colleges yet? tbh i really dont care, but i like the idea of catz/emma/christs mostly...of course it could change tho

Ahh cool :smile: They should appreciate how amazing German is :lol: I'm looking at King's/Emma/Selwyn/Caius :smile: I think I just need to visit them all and make my decision then!

Original post by Catherine.
Not much really in terms of being super connected with languages - the usual stuff, like piano, singing, public speaking, etc. I just read lots of foreign literature (I recommend Maupassant's short stories!) and listened to foreign music. :smile: The interviewers pick up on natural passion, so that's most important :biggrin:

Awesome :smile: Do you think those unrelated ones were important? Aside from being fun ofc :lol: I have a collection lecture facile Maupassant book somewhere, Cinq Contes I think, need to get the real one though :L I've got natural passion in droves so that shouldn't be a problem, thank you! :biggrin:
I was just wondering, is there a certain set of UMS's you need or a certain UMS average in your AS levels for Cambridge to consider you, or not?
Original post by depiction
I was just wondering, is there a certain set of UMS's you need or a certain UMS average in your AS levels for Cambridge to consider you, or not?

Not really. You need to be predicted an A* (and/or have AS UMS that make it look like you'll probably get at least A*AA, I guess, since some schools don't predict A*s) but apart from that there are no hard rules - the statistic that gets thrown around is that the median average UMS for applicants across their top 3 AS is 90% and that for people who get offers it's 95% but there are lots of people on either side of those figures - my average was 89% and I got an offer, for instance, while there are other people I know applying for the same subject (and in one case college) who got rejected with much higher UMS. A lot of it seems to come down to the interview, and you'll almost certainly get invited to one.
Original post by LeSacMagique
Not really. You need to be predicted an A* (and/or have AS UMS that make it look like you'll probably get at least A*AA, I guess, since some schools don't predict A*s) but apart from that there are no hard rules - the statistic that gets thrown around is that the median average UMS for applicants across their top 3 AS is 90% and that for people who get offers it's 95% but there are lots of people on either side of those figures - my average was 89% and I got an offer, for instance, while there are other people I know applying for the same subject (and in one case college) who got rejected with much higher UMS. A lot of it seems to come down to the interview, and you'll almost certainly get invited to one.

Ahh, thanks. Had heard that figure of 95% on average being tossed around as a 'minimum', hence put me off since Chemistry brings my entire average down by a good 5% (:rolleyes:)
Well done on your offer!
Would someone be so kind as to put this on the Wiki page? :smile:
Course: Engineering
College: Emmanuel/Queens'/Trinity
GCSEs: 9A*,3A
AS-Levels: Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Product Design, German
UMS Average: 95 (M1 & C1)
Extras: Grade 8 Piano, piano performance Diploma DipABRSM (will have by then), design work experience, A in Additional Maths (FSMQ)

As for the 95% min average getting offers, I suppose if you got less and impressed them in an interview then you'd probably still stand a chance. Judging by how exams are going at the moment, I may just drop under 95 due to my D1 exam :s-smilie:
Reply 1595
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Hmm fair enough, I can relate to that :biggrin:
Erm, it's this Friday (25th); I got physics that day as well.
Hmm yh I doubt it now -_-

Ah good luck! I am looking forward to getting physics over and done with :smile:
:s Ah, have you asked them?
Just to put the view of a guy who holds an offer for churchill college, maths, and had a 93% average at AS, and didnt really impress at the interview (imo). I know people with higher UMS that didnt get in but also people with lower UMS that did get in. Just work hard, get as high as you can and take it from there. Unless your average is low 80s and below, you should still have a chance of getting in.
Reply 1597
Original post by desijut
Just to put the view of a guy who holds an offer for churchill college, maths, and had a 93% average at AS, and didnt really impress at the interview (imo). I know people with higher UMS that didnt get in but also people with lower UMS that did get in. Just work hard, get as high as you can and take it from there. Unless your average is low 80s and below, you should still have a chance of getting in.

What do you think got you the offer if your interview didn't impress?
Original post by Tanmayee
Would someone be so kind as to put this on the Wiki page? :smile:
Course: Engineering
College: Emmanuel/Queens'/Trinity
GCSEs: 9A*,3A
AS-Levels: Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Product Design, German
UMS Average: 95 (M1 & C1)
Extras: Grade 8 Piano, piano performance Diploma DipABRSM (will have by then), design work experience, A in Additional Maths (FSMQ)

As for the 95% min average getting offers, I suppose if you got less and impressed them in an interview then you'd probably still stand a chance. Judging by how exams are going at the moment, I may just drop under 95 due to my D1 exam :s-smilie:

I've added you.

If anyone finds any bugs in the wiki page, please contact me. There were a few bugs which I've just fixed. Also, if anyone has any ideas for something to add I could take a look into it.
Original post by Llewellyn
I've added you.

If anyone finds any bugs in the wiki page, please contact me. There were a few bugs which I've just fixed. Also, if anyone has any ideas for something to add I could take a look into it.

Noooooooooooooo, I'd already done it, now there's two :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending