The Student Room Group

Which university is better?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Obfuscator
I think at university level it gets a lot better, because all the papers are marked internally by professors, rather than externally by people who don't really know the subject following a list of criteria.

Yehh I am pretty keen :biggrin:

And no, not really. I watch the world cup and that's about it, I'm afraid :s-smilie:

Oh cool! I just hope exams won't be too complicated for me, especially cos I get serious exam anxiety. I think 90% of my bad grades are based on that. haha! :biggrin:
Any beforehand advice you have for me to avoid that? :P

Good for you! The world needs people like you, my friend. :smile:

Aw, really? I guess the stereotype of all English people are football crazed is invalid then, huh? :biggrin: I'm actually football crazy, I root for both Chelsea and Norwich City! :smile:
Original post by candy82
Oh cool! I just hope exams won't be too complicated for me, especially cos I get serious exam anxiety. I think 90% of my bad grades are based on that. haha! :biggrin:
Any beforehand advice you have for me to avoid that? :P

Good for you! The world needs people like you, my friend. :smile:

Aw, really? I guess the stereotype of all English people are football crazed is invalid then, huh? :biggrin: I'm actually football crazy, I root for both Chelsea and Norwich City! :smile:

Hmm I dunno, I've always been pretty nonchalant before exams haha. I guess just make sure you start revising as early as possible and that you get enough sleep, especially the night before. Just try not to think about what could go wrong I guess. There's probably dozens of threads on this forum which talk about that kind of stuff, have a look :smile:

Haha I know plenty of people who really are pretty football crazy. I just never really got into it, for whatever reason. find it pretty boring. Don't mind kicking a ball around every so often, though. I'm not very good haha
Reply 82
Original post by candy82
There's a train station next to campus? :P

Awesome! I'm glad everything is found on campus. I just always worry about food and supplies. :biggrin: Thanks a lot for the reassurance! :smile:

No, there is a bus from the train station to campus :biggrin:
Reply 83
Hmm I dunno, I've always been pretty nonchalant before exams haha. I guess just make sure you start revising as early as possible and that you get enough sleep, especially the night before. Just try not to think about what could go wrong I guess. There's probably dozens of threads on this forum which talk about that kind of stuff, have a look :smile:

Haha I know plenty of people who really are pretty football crazy. I just never really got into it, for whatever reason. find it pretty boring. Don't mind kicking a ball around every so often, though. I'm not very good haha

Hmm, that's good advice. Thanks so much! :smile:

Haha, fair enough then. :smile:

When are you supposed to hear from Sheffield, btw?
Original post by candy82

When are you supposed to hear from Sheffield, btw?

What do you mean?
Reply 85
What do you mean?

I mean, you said you already applied to Sheffield, right? If so, when are you expected to know their decision regarding your application?
Original post by candy82
I mean, you said you already applied to Sheffield, right? If so, when are you expected to know their decision regarding your application?

They've given me an offer but it's conditional on me getting the grades, which won't come out until mid August.
Reply 87
They've given me an offer but it's conditional on me getting the grades, which won't come out until mid August.

Oh, ok! Will you have enough time to prepare for the start of your course this September?
Original post by candy82
Oh, ok! Will you have enough time to prepare for the start of your course this September?

Well yeh, I think I'll have to go on the assumption that I've got the place (presuming I feel like the exams have gone well) and start some pre-reading early on. But there is something like a month between results and the start of the course, so i think it will be ok. There won't be that much I have to do before hand.
Reply 89
Original post by Txi

Nottingham, Southampton, Warwick, Newcastle are all post WW2 with the latter 2 in the 60's.

That is when Nottingham, Southampton and Newcastle gained their Royal Charters, though they all trace their history back to the 1800s (as University Colleges or teaching colleges of other universities) which, I admit, still doesn't make them ancient. But this is very different to Warwick which was established in the 1960s as part of an effort to expand higher education in the UK.

This might seem pedantic but it has a point.

RG is based mostly on SIZE, ie. the no. of students you got.

Is anyone really sure this is a good thing ?

Would you rather share facilities with 25000 - 40000 other students or 20000 or even less than 10000 ?

Remember the more people there are, the more it eats into your VALUE FOR MONEY. and we all know how much education costs these days.

I would only put up with that for the top 6 of so uni's , apart from that to me pure size is a DIS-advantage.

Russell Group membership is based on size, broadly speaking, yes, though not strictly "number of students". It is based on research income and profile. It just happens that the universities with the largest research incomes also tend to have the highest number of students. Nevertheless, a university with an admireable research income and profile (whether across the faculities or specific to one department), and whether Russell Group or non-Russell Group, may be attractive. Your concerns seem to be more those of an undergraduate and, even then, Russell Group universities can still provide small class sizes.
Reply 90
Well yeh, I think I'll have to go on the assumption that I've got the place (presuming I feel like the exams have gone well) and start some pre-reading early on. But there is something like a month between results and the start of the course, so i think it will be ok. There won't be that much I have to do before hand.

Hey, sorry I haven't replied to your post. I was rather busy.

I'm glad you still have time. Good luck! :smile:

Btw, I got an email from Southampton yesterday informing me of my unsuccessful application. haha. So yeah, I'm officially now going for UEA! :smile:
Original post by candy82

Btw, I got an email from Southampton yesterday informing me of my unsuccessful application. haha. So yeah, I'm officially now going for UEA! :smile:

Ahh damn that kinda sucks that they turned you down. But UEA is still great! :smile:
Reply 92
Aw, thanks. I'm not too bothered about it, cos honestly I never really liked Southampton. And yep! UEA is perfect! And I have you to thank for making me love it and eventually settle on it. :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by candy82
Aw, thanks. I'm not too bothered about it, cos honestly I never really liked Southampton. And yep! UEA is perfect! And I have you to thank for making me love it and eventually settle on it. :smile:

Can I ask you why you didn't like Soton ? You can PM if you like
Reply 94
Original post by Txi
Can I ask you why you didn't like Soton ? You can PM if you like

It's because I don't like Southampton, it seems like a boring city. And I read on wikipedia that it's considered a crime spot in the UK. Also, I wasn't too fond of the course, it didn't cater to my needs. Hope this answers your question. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending