The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Law at LSE

Hey. I’d like to study law at LSE but I’ve heard that GCSE grades matter a lot for LSE in comparison to other unis. I’m in hear 11 so I haven’t done them yet but I think I’ll get half 7s and half 8s. I’m worried that these grades aren’t good enough. However, I’ve also been told that your personal statement matters a lot for LSE too… I also wish to apply to UCL and KCL so should I also put down LSE and focus on my personal statement? Or should I just put down something else like Warwick instead?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey. I’d like to study law at LSE but I’ve heard that GCSE grades matter a lot for LSE in comparison to other unis. I’m in hear 11 so I haven’t done them yet but I think I’ll get half 7s and half 8s. I’m worried that these grades aren’t good enough. However, I’ve also been told that your personal statement matters a lot for LSE too… I also wish to apply to UCL and KCL so should I also put down LSE and focus on my personal statement? Or should I just put down something else like Warwick instead?

Hii! You still have plenty of time to decide what universities you want to go to, as you're in Year 11 and you only need to decide in the middle of Year 13, so your mind can still change what universities you'd like to go to and what course.

But, honestly if you're predicting 7s and 8s, that is really impressive!! Top universities only ask for a certain number of GCSEs (maybe 8 or 9 subjects) to be in a 7-9, so if you're being consistent in this, that is amazing! Also, it is extremely rare to even be able to get grades like all 9s, or mostly 9s with 8s. And just a reminder, a 7 is a Grade A, so it is still regarded very highly.

If you want to aim for LSE, I think you should do it! Make sure to visit the open days and ask students about their experience so you can really see if you like the course at that university and the university in general because £9k a year is a lot of money! You might end up liking Warwick more than LSE or not even liking it!

In general, you do have 5 universities you can choose from on your UCAS form, so definitely do aim high, but also have one or two safe universities just in case. ☺️ Hope this helps
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Thank you very much for your feedback. Currently, the unis id like to go to are:
UCL, KCL, LSE, Nottingham, Exeter…
But I might replace Nottingham or Exeter with Warwick. Is one necessarily better than the other? Bcuz as you said I also need 2 safety ones and for me currently I see Exeter and Nottingham as those so would warwick be so as well or not reall?
Reply 3
Also I understand that for KCL, you kinda need a lnat score over 30 so I will do some practice papers and stuff after my GCSEs and stuff but I might just replace this with warwick as that seems quite difficult. Of course, don’t know for sure until I try it tho
Thank you very much for your feedback. Currently, the unis id like to go to are:
UCL, KCL, LSE, Nottingham, Exeter…
But I might replace Nottingham or Exeter with Warwick. Is one necessarily better than the other? Bcuz as you said I also need 2 safety ones and for me currently I see Exeter and Nottingham as those so would warwick be so as well or not reall?

I think it depends on what you mean by better ☺️ Better could mean like which university is rated higher on the university rankings sheet, which university has more accessible accomodation or services (eg gyms, stores) for you or which university has a better vibe. But if you're talking better regarding university rankings, I think you should look at the subject specific university rankings to decide which is better. I don't remember if you mentioned this, but what subject do you want to do at university?

Also, you should be wary of the subject requirements you need to enter the subject you want to do at uni (which I'm sure you know). But as well, each core module in a subject is different at each university. For example, I'm interested in law, but all the core modules are different at different universities. Like some universities will have Contract Law as a core module in their first year, whilst others will have it as an optional module or core module in the second year. So I think you should definitely look at the differences in each subject to help decide which university you want to go to as well.

Overall, I think you should definitely visit the open days to see whether you like the university or not, and these are all coming up in June- July time (which I understand might be during your exams, so there are also some in September- October). This can help you decide between what unis you want, but try not to stress as you do have over a year!
Reply 5
I’m want to study law too 😊 and thanks for telling me about the open days, I’ll definitely check them out
Reply 6
And yeah by better, I meant more highly regarded eg Oxford is more highly regarded than uni of Hertfordshire
I’m want to study law too 😊 and thanks for telling me about the open days, I’ll definitely check them out

Oh that's amazing! I hope everything works out for you ☺️ But yeah, I thought you meant better in that sense. So just check out the subject University league tables to get that information 😁
Reply 8
Original post by peachymuffin
Oh that's amazing! I hope everything works out for you ☺️ But yeah, I thought you meant better in that sense. So just check out the subject University league tables to get that information 😁

Thanks for everything!
Thanks for everything!

Any more questions lmk ☺️
Any more questions lmk ☺️

Thank you and yes, I’ve got another thing I’m wondering about sorry to bother you again…
I assume that you do the lnat before you actually apply to uni bcuz you need to state your score for the unis which require the lnat to be taken right? Sorry if that sounds dumb
Same goes for a level mocks too I assume? You get your results before applying to unis right? Sorry if the question sounds dumb… 🤦*♂️
Same goes for a level mocks too I assume? You get your results before applying to unis right? Sorry if the question sounds dumb… 🤦*♂️

No don't worry, those are really good questions! But yes, you do the LNAT and get your predicted grades before you apply to university. If you want to apply to an Oxbridge University (which I'm assuming you don't, but I'll state anyway), the university application has to be submitted by the middle of October. This is so they can go through applications and interview you through December etc. But if you don't want to apply to an Oxbridge University, you have to submit either end or mid January.

I'm still not sure when you have to sit the LNAT, as I am only in Year 12 and haven't really been told this, but I've heard it's September time? And your A-Level mocks should be done in May/ June, so the teachers have time to mark it. Your predicted grade isn't really the grade of your mocks, but it's a combined grade of what your teachers think you'll achieve based on how you've done in all your tests. So don't worry if you start with C's or Ds, as long as in the last few months you're progressing to those desired As and A*s, those will be your predicted grades.

This will all be submitted with your UCAS application 🥰
No don't worry, those are really good questions! But yes, you do the LNAT and get your predicted grades before you apply to university. If you want to apply to an Oxbridge University (which I'm assuming you don't, but I'll state anyway), the university application has to be submitted by the middle of October. This is so they can go through applications and interview you through December etc. But if you don't want to apply to an Oxbridge University, you have to submit either end or mid January.
I'm still not sure when you have to sit the LNAT, as I am only in Year 12 and haven't really been told this, but I've heard it's September time? And your A-Level mocks should be done in May/ June, so the teachers have time to mark it. Your predicted grade isn't really the grade of your mocks, but it's a combined grade of what your teachers think you'll achieve based on how you've done in all your tests. So don't worry if you start with C's or Ds, as long as in the last few months you're progressing to those desired As and A*s, those will be your predicted grades.
This will all be submitted with your UCAS application 🥰

Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it a lot and I have a much clearer idea of what to go for now based on unis. I think if I get 30 or above in the lnat (i know it’s ambitious but still…) I’ll apply to : UCL, LSE, KCL, Warwick and then either Nottingham or Exeter, not sure between those two yet. However, if I get below 30, I’ll apply to: UCL, LSE, Warwick, Nottingham and Exeter as I’m aware kings focuses a lot on the lnat and you kinda need 30 and above. Or at least this is what I’ve been told. But yeah, as I’ve said, thanks so much for all your help!
Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it a lot and I have a much clearer idea of what to go for now based on unis. I think if I get 30 or above in the lnat (i know it’s ambitious but still…) I’ll apply to : UCL, LSE, KCL, Warwick and then either Nottingham or Exeter, not sure between those two yet. However, if I get below 30, I’ll apply to: UCL, LSE, Warwick, Nottingham and Exeter as I’m aware kings focuses a lot on the lnat and you kinda need 30 and above. Or at least this is what I’ve been told. But yeah, as I’ve said, thanks so much for all your help!

Ah, I'm not much help with LNAT scores yet, and what universities want. But defo go to the open days if you can and ask the people on the course what LNAT score they'd expect for you to go to this university. Good luck with your current exams!

Any more questions, lmk! 🥰
Ah, I'm not much help with LNAT scores yet, and what universities want. But defo go to the open days if you can and ask the people on the course what LNAT score they'd expect for you to go to this university. Good luck with your current exams!
Any more questions, lmk! 🥰

Thank youuuuuu. Hope evrything works out well for you and that you achieve all you wish to
Thank youuuuuu. Hope evrything works out well for you and that you achieve all you wish to

Awh thank you so much 🥹

You should do your mocks between April-May depending on your school, and they will be a big factor in for your predicted grades, so make sure you revise a lot.
For the lnat, KCL, LSE and UCL will ask you to submit your lnat before 31st of December so you should try and complete it around october time. A lot of applicants will also apply to these universities pre-oxbridge deadline so you may want to look into doing this.
You won't receive your lnat score until after you submit your applications, which can be nerve-racking as you won't actually know if you scored well. Just revise a lot and i've heard arbitio is a good tool to use even though it is expensive, it is harder than the real lnat so you can get good practice in. Also, revise your essay structure as this will also play an important part in your application. A score of 27+ should secure you a spot at these unis, so just practice. Hope this was helpful!!
Original post by lucija123
You should do your mocks between April-May depending on your school, and they will be a big factor in for your predicted grades, so make sure you revise a lot.
For the lnat, KCL, LSE and UCL will ask you to submit your lnat before 31st of December so you should try and complete it around october time. A lot of applicants will also apply to these universities pre-oxbridge deadline so you may want to look into doing this.
You won't receive your lnat score until after you submit your applications, which can be nerve-racking as you won't actually know if you scored well. Just revise a lot and i've heard arbitio is a good tool to use even though it is expensive, it is harder than the real lnat so you can get good practice in. Also, revise your essay structure as this will also play an important part in your application. A score of 27+ should secure you a spot at these unis, so just practice. Hope this was helpful!!

Thank you so much! That was very helpful, I appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending