The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F212 (Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health)- 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by otrivine
1)DNA double helix between strands
2) cellulose between OH groups
3) between binding of substrate and active site of enzyme
4) tertiary strucuture of protein

Yup! There's quite a few :smile: Your turn!
Original post by narli
help me :frown:

Didn't see this because the kittens (newly born kittens people! Ridiculous revision distraction!) came in. What with?

Original post by biomagic
To test for the effect of pH on trypsin/ pepsin, use a range of pH buffers keeping other variables constant, and use a colorimeter to read how quickly the milk clears. Obviously low pH's will cause the milk to stay slightly more cloudy longer - in terms of trypsin- as the enzymes optimum pH is higher, so the majority of light should be absorbed.

I think :smile:

Ah, milk:
Range of pH buffers;
Use of colorimeter
Wait - if we were to plot Transmission/Absorbance, what would it be against? Time?

Great, thankyou :hugs:
Can someone help me on this?
DNA replication:
-DNA helicase unwinds and unzips DNA (breaks hydrogen bonds)
-DNA polymerase attaches complimentary DNA nucleotides to exposed bases on DNA template.
-Phosphodiester bonds form between nucleotides making the sugar-phosphate backbone.
-Semi conservative replications - one original and one new strand in each of 2 new DNA molecules.
-ATP needed.

Protein Synthesis:
Transcription:
-Gene is read to make mRNA.
-Gene is unwound and unzipped by RNA helicase.
-Free RNA nucleotised added to exposed bases on one strand only (by RNA polymerase?)
-Phosphodiester bonds form between nucleotides to form mRNA molecule.

Translation:
-mRNA read by ribosome.
-Ribosome allows particular tRNA to come in.
-Bases on tRNA attach to mRNA by complimentary base pairing.
-Polypeptide chain forms on the outside of the ribosome.
(Is there any polymerase/helicase here?)

Please edit appropriately!
Original post by AS01
well done!!!
don't worry revise well and you will obviously get an A
to be honest I am not nervous. I am just waiting to see the paper :biggrin:

I know you're not! I can tell! You know EVERYTHING already. You don't have anything to worry about!
Original post by Ashfak786
between the nitrogenous base eg adenine and guanine, in the secondary and tertiary structure of pollypeptides, also found between cellulose.

Yup! You've got it! :smile:
Reply 1985
Original post by AS01
ya this book is not that good on this topic my teacher gave us all this info book has not even mentioned a thing
ok the steps are
-macrophage engulfs pathogen but keeps antigen
-take the antigen and present on its surface
-so T helper cells that have complementary shape to that of antigen gets activated. this is colonial selection
-now its here where you have to decide which part you need to answer
-if it activated T-killer cells then its cell mediated response
-if activates Plasma cells then its humoral respone

for cell mediated response
-T- helper cell release interleukin which stimulates T killer cell
-T-killer cell divides. this is colonial expansion.
-T-killer cell now destroys host cell
-also T memory cell forms this is also colonial expansion
-but memory cell remains in body
it does not take part in primary response

humoral response
-T-helper cells release interleukin and stimulate B cells to divide into plasma cells and memory cell. this is colonial expansion
-plasma cell release antibodies and destroy pathogen by agglutination and neutralization
- memory cells as alwaz remain in system and do no take part in primary response.
hope this helped:smile:

Ya but i think for b lymphocytes is different , as there are stimulated by the t helper cells but also arent they also complenmentory to the antigens so dont they also clonal select before being stimulated to differentiate by the t helper cells
Reply 1986
Original post by CollateralElement
Ok. List 4 examples where Hydrogen Bonds are formed/found in biological molecules?

secondary and tertiary structure of protein
cellulose
DNA
water.
Yup! There's quite a few :smile: Your turn!

Explain the term biological catalyst(2)
Original post by AS01
secondary and tertiary structure of protein
cellulose
DNA
water.

can you ask me :wink:
preparing to fail! I've been revising non-stop for three weeks and still can't answer the exam questions! might of helped if we were taught the stuff and not given 'self study' booklets! argh :frown:
Reply 1990
I know you're not! I can tell! You know EVERYTHING already. You don't have anything to worry about!

:smile: just finish your text book and past paper then there is nothing to worry about. and don't forget the key points. dats it!! if you start worrying about it then its gonna make it more worse so just stay calm.:wink:
Original post by Mojojojo
Can someone help me on this?
DNA replication:
-DNA polymerase attaches complimentary DNA nucleotides to exposed bases on DNA template.
-Phosphodiester bonds form between nucleotides making the sugar-phosphate backbone.
-Semi conservative replications - one original and one new strand in each of 2 new DNA molecules.
-ATP needed.

Protein Synthesis:
Transcription:
-Free RNA nucleotised added to exposed bases on one strand only (by RNA polymerase?)
-Phosphodiester bonds form between nucleotides to form mRNA molecule.

Translation:
-mRNA read by ribosome.
-Ribosome allows particular tRNA to come in.
-Bases on tRNA attach to mRNA by complimentary base pairing.
(Is there any polymerase/helicase here?)

Please edit appropriately!

DNA replication:
-ATP needed.

Protein Synthesis:
Transcription:
-Free RNA nucleotides added to exposed bases on one strand only by RNA polymerase Phosphodiester bonds form between nucleotides to form mRNA molecule.

Translation:
-mRNA attached and read by ribosome.
-Ribosome allows tRNA to come in.
3 sequence Bases on tRNA attach to mRNA by complimentary base pairing.
- Peptide bonds form between amino acids on attached tRNA molecules.
Reply 1992
Original post by kj14
Ya but i think for b lymphocytes is different , as there are stimulated by the t helper cells but also arent they also complenmentory to the antigens so dont they also clonal select before being stimulated to differentiate by the t helper cells

no they don't
Reply 1993
Original post by JerassicaMarshman
preparing to fail! I've been revising non-stop for three weeks and still can't answer the exam questions! might of helped if we were taught the stuff and not given 'self study' booklets! argh :frown:

3 weeks woooow how did you managed that? , most people like me started today?
Reply 1994
can you ask me :wink:

how smoking causes lung cancer(4)
Ok. Here's a question that requires detail.
State and explain the structure of Haemoglobin. Include Secondary, Tertiary and Quaternary Structure.

erm.. haemoglobin is a globular protien, made of four polypeptide chain in the secondary structure does not remain straight and hydrogen bonds occur which curls its structure the hydrophobic parts of the molecule clump together and face inwards and hydrophillic face outwards, this gives it 3d structure which makes it soluble..... not sure abwt quaternery structure

A biological organism, molecule or enzymes that increase the rate of a biological reaction without being used up themselves.
Reply 1997

enzyme are protein used in metabolism
lowers activation energy of reaction and remains unchanged at the end of reaction.
Original post by AS01
:smile: just finish your text book and past paper then there is nothing to worry about. and don't forget the key points. dats it!! if you start worrying about it then its gonna make it more worse so just stay calm.:wink:

Thanks! :redface: I'm hoping everything goes well. I have 9 exams this summer. It could be worse.
Original post by AS01
how smoking causes lung cancer(4)

benzopyrene
carcinogenic substances
enters genetic material-enters nuclues
mutation
changes genetic material
and cells divide uncontrollable

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending