The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F212 (Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health)- 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

What did people write on the two types of variation question? I wrote allopatric/sympatric,speciation,intraspecific/interspecific ?
Think i lost all marks there
Reply 4541
I had no idea what the variation question was even asking me
Reply 4542
Original post by jawsonthefloor
What did people put for that, question when it was asking what organism it was?! Had is had multiple nucleus and thread like structures through the cytoplasm or something, i put fungi? :frown:

annd i found it really hard! nothing on the immune system i was well annoyed about that! I guess my dreams of becoming a dentist are down the drain :frown: :puppyeyes::puppyeyes::puppyeyes::puppyeyes:

The thread like structures made me think of hyphae so I put fungi too :smile:
Reply 4543
Original post by CJRO
It was all on the syllabus, do not doubt that for one minute. They may have applied it to a different situation, like the elastic in the lungs for induced fit enzymes, but it was all in there. Some of the stuff was also 'how science works' or the green pages, which for some reason people believe not to be part of the syllabus.

So you're telling me that enzymes in Antarctic fish are on the specification? The whole idea of 'suggest' questions is to sidetrack from the syllabus and apply knowledge, common sense and guesswork to an alien situation. Whilst a few questions like this are necessary to test application of knowledge, when it gets to the stage of having 15 of the first 18 marks based entirely on 'suggestions' that it's getting a tad ridiculous. Oh well, just me opinion I guess- not much I can do now other than hope the grade boundaries are low and that my answers were reasonable.
Reply 4544
GENETIC MODIFICATIOn :wink:
Original post by lukestaples
i wrote steroids :K:
yours seems right though

nah they must all be right i just checked the book it was to do with anything that wont make the animals use up energy and steroid hormones are for development so you should be right what did you get for the one about how farmers can check if they are new species or something like that ..........
Original post by loser_like_me
did anyone else write that they give animals antibiotics for the farming one???????

I wrote that! :smile:
Reply 4547
Original post by otrivine
m i wrong ? snap and for the question on induced fit 5 marks like example of elastin i talked about induced fit but instead os sayin gsubstrate said elastin . and said like collision binds opposite charge group leaves strain on substrate molecule (elastin) e.t.c

yup dats right. this was really weird qsn we had learned about how elastase destroys elastin and here they ask us to relate to induced fit thing
Reply 4548
Original post by AS01
are you sure thats the answer coz I think my teacher said something like substrate alwaz not complementary to active site while she taught us about induced fit

non competitive inhibitors bind to a part of the enzyme other than the active site. When they do this, the enzyme active site supposedly changes shape which suggests that the enzyme active site has the ability to change shape.
this is what i put, it's literally the only other piece of knowledge i have on enzymes changing shape.
Reply 4549
Original post by CosmicVengeance
What did people write on the two types of variation question? I wrote allopatric/sympatric,speciation,intraspecific/interspecific ?
Think i lost all marks there

I am afraid you did lost mark
its continuous and discontinuous variation.
Reply 4550
Original post by bubblesOoO
Guys if we want something to happen we need to get our teachers to complain to the exam board. Coming from students who have no real authority and are expected to complain after every exam anyway, we need to make sure the exam board hears how unfair and bad the paper was from the teachers who have authority and have taught the spec. every year and have a better idea of this paper fares compared to past papers. I have already emailed my biology teacher asking her to contact OCR and advise every one else to do the same

The paper was not unfair. It was difficult. There is a difference. The point of a difficult paper is to if you like sieve the cohort so that the best students can do well and the worst can't just ride along bluffing their way through. Unless you can tell me how it was unfair, not difficult, physically unfair then there is not much to be done. Practice applying knowledge next time.
I understood how smoking causes a cough, but did anyone get why the long term cough is bad for you?
Reply 4552
for the question about variation i named discontinuos and continuos variation, and did perfect definitions but only went and did them the wrong way round, do u think i have lost a lot of marks or will i only be penalised once
Reply 4553
Original post by Corryms
non competitive inhibitors bind to a part of the enzyme other than the active site. When they do this, the enzyme active site supposedly changes shape which suggests that the enzyme active site has the ability to change shape.
this is what i put, it's literally the only other piece of knowledge i have on enzymes changing shape.

that makes sense too I will ask my teacher on wednesday.
Original post by AS01
yup dats right. this was really weird qsn we had learned about how elastase destroys elastin and here they ask us to relate to induced fit thing

i spent 5 min thinking about that
for why the student thought that i said cause other factors like temp , concentration e.t.c could affect it?
Original post by funkscam
can someone put my mind at rest lmfao
for the way methods changed when breeding cattle since the eighteenth century or some ****,
i put antibiotics, crossed it out and put artificial insemination
AKLSAESOHJ is this even slightly correct
p.s so ****ed

I put artificial insemination.
Original post by Salmonidae
I understood how smoking causes a cough, but did anyone get why the long term cough is bad for you?

I wrote tar etc, at the end i wrote it could lead to chronic bronchitis
The question about the 'many nuclei threaded' was fungi, just checked now
Reply 4558
Original post by Salmonidae

dats where you have to say how it causes smooth muscle to get replaced by scar tissue and stuff
Reply 4559
Original post by Axion
lol 60% for an A anyone?

You've done it again OCR, good job!

:party:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
I pray to God that that is the grade boundary for an A for this paper!
The content wasn't that difficult, but you needed to spend at least 5 minutes just READING the question (MOST of them were extremely long-winded and wordy :angry:) to understand what they actually want you to say, THAT'S what was bloody ridiculous. Ended up running out of time due to double and triple checking my answers with the questions to make sure I was actually answering the question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending