The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F212 (Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health)- 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CollateralElement
The cytokine molecules have specific receptors complementary to the active site shape of B Lymphocytes.

Once they bind, it triggers the response in B Lymphocytes.

yes 2/3 and say that differentiates to memmory cells
Reply 1181
Original post by Harriet : )
Tar destroys cilia- it coats the respiratory tract irritating it, tar also stimulates the goblet cells to produce excess mucus which cannot be removed due to the destroyed cilia. Mucus also harbours bacteria and makes the person prone to infection. This also creates the loss of elasticity of alveoli as WBC secrete enzymes to digest through the elastine (sp?) in alveoli preventing recoil of alveoli. This change in pressure causes alveoli to burst reducing the oxygen uptake into the blood

Thank you! How do properties of cellulose adapt it for its function? (3)

WBC release elatase which destroy elastin fibres on alveoli. so bronchioles collapse trapping air in alveoli so alveoli burst as a result cannot force air in and out of lungs so breathing rate increases and causes fatigue.
Original post by otrivine
yes 2/3 and say that differentiates to memmory cells

Cools. I always forget to add that little detail. I always respond literally to what the question asks... grrr. :angry::angry:
Cools. I always forget to add that little detail. I always respond literally to what the question asks... grrr. :angry::angry:

my go :wink:
State the benefits of using antibiotics and growth promoters in domestic (shop) animals?
How do the free nucleotides become availiable in the first place?

State the benefits of using antibiotics and growth promoters in domestic (shop) animals?

:redface:
Original post by AS01
WBC release elatase which destroy elastin fibres on alveoli. so bronchioles collapse trapping air in alveoli so alveoli burst as a result cannot force air in and out of lungs so breathing rate increases and causes fatigue.

Ah I get it, so technically if alveoli burst, surface area decreases then diffusion is slower and more difficult so blood is less easily oxygenated :smile: Other than that was it okay? :smile:
Reply 1188
Tar destroys cilia- it coats the respiratory tract irritating it, tar also stimulates the goblet cells to produce excess mucus which cannot be removed due to the destroyed cilia. Mucus also harbours bacteria and makes the person prone to infection. This also creates the loss of elasticity of alveoli as WBC secrete enzymes to digest through the elastine (sp?) in alveoli preventing recoil of alveoli. This change in pressure causes alveoli to burst reducing the oxygen uptake into the blood

Thank you! How do properties of cellulose adapt it for its function? (3)

it provides high tensile strength and rigid so prevents plant cell from bursting when kept in dilute solution. also it forms cross link so allows water and gases to be exchanged. helps in cell growth and expansion.
Reply 1189
Ah I get it, so technically if alveoli burst, surface area decreases then diffusion is slower and more difficult so blood is less easily oxygenated :smile: Other than that was it okay? :smile:

yup u got it and others were okay.
Original post by Future_Dr
How do the free nucleotides become availiable in the first place?

They are always there surrounding DNA strand.
Reply 1191
They are always there surrounding DNA strand.

they are in the nucleus just moving here and there(better to say free)

:redface:

-reduces risk of diseases between organisms such as cow farmed in intensively close proximity . helps digestion of food more quicker.
Original post by AS01

Original post by AS01

Reply 1195

experimental work to determine tar contain carcinogens
Original post by AS01
it provides high tensile strength and rigid so prevents plant cell from bursting when kept in dilute solution. also it forms cross link so allows water and gases to be exchanged. helps in cell growth and expansion.

Good am I also right in saying that is insoluble and therefore does not effect cells water potential?
Original post by AS01
yup u got it and others were okay.

Okay thanks your turn to ask :smile:
Reply 1197

helps the animals to be protected from disease. helps in digestion. greater productivity?
Name some of the bonds accociated with DNA and which bonds form with what
Original post by AS01
experimental work to determine tar contain carcinogens

They did an experiment with dogs with filters and they saw that they were at risk of lung cancer and they did an experiement without filter and saw that it takes a slower time for lung cancer to be developed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending