The Student Room Group

My teacher made a fool out of me in class says i have a mental illness

I used to go to the university of the arts at london college of communication(LCC)
as i was sitting in class mindind my own business he then goes on to say out of the blue his exact words were "Its pretty obvious here who has a mental illness"
I then looked at him then another student next to him and they both started laughing.

I just want an opinion what you would think of me personally.

I usually smile to myself when im thinking of a past event which i think is funny and may seen strange to others if im in public or in the classroom. I get extremely nervous around people i dont know i usually avoid public speaking so i avoided classes will not sit next people i dont know and when i did a classroom presentation i was shaking and couldnt make eye contact with others in the room i always get involuntary head shaking or my eyebrow starts twitching when im very nervous when i meet new people go for an interview although this doesnt happen when im with well known friends or family just in public situations or strangers.

Ive been trying to control it but the more i try to control it the worse it gets

I was physically abused by my mums female friend as a child

im 20
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Personally, I would just laugh along, or if he says it again, reply with;

`that's not a very nice thing to say about yourself, sir`

I doubt it was meant to be taken offensively.
Obviously I don't know how it was said, but I don't think he meant any offence by it.
Reply 3
Original post by kog
I doubt it was meant to be taken offensively.

This, your teacher sounds like a joker - although, mental illnesses aren't something to joke about lightly.

He probably spends his free time on sikipedia.

I suggest that you ignore him, if it bothers you that much speak to a member of staff that you get on well with about it.
Reply 4
If your feeling spiteful report the guy, but then again laughing along with it seems to work when anything like that happens to me :smile:
Reply 5
SORRY to hear about the abuse bit. must be a struggle for you.
i wounldnt say you were wierd at all. i have some of the things you mentioned. mainly smiling when i think about past events (people around me just stare for a bit). i am extremely nervous around strangers. as a child i wouldnt even talk to people i didnt know (i would only talk to immediate family and really close friends) looking back on it i think it may have been selective mutism.
if people think you are odd, let them. just make them aware that you dont care, they get over it. i'm pretty friendly/sociable now and i got there by forcing myself into uncomfortable situations (i.e. talking to complete strangers). i still struggle with talking to certain teachers (some teachers have commented behind my back that they have never actually heard me speak). Just keep working at it. eventually you're confidence will improve but if you find that it is really becoming a problem i suggest you speak to someone you trust who can help you.
Reply 6
There's nothing wrong with you, just nerves that seem to affect you, I used to get the same, in one class presentation I shook so much that everyone could hear the paper in my hand. My teacher's first comment was "You're shaking like a leaf."

What your teacher did sounds something like what a 15 year old might do, if he knows you have trouble with public speaking it wasn't fair to humiliate you with it. I'd just let this slide though since he might have meant it as a light ribbing, but if he makes a habit of it, then confront him or something.
Original post by ednut
I used to go to the university of the arts at london college of communication(LCC)
as i was sitting in class mindind my own business he then goes on to say out of the blue his exact words were "Its pretty obvious here who has a mental illness"
I then looked at him then another student next to him and they both started laughing.

I just want an opinion what you would think of me personally.

I usually smile to myself when im thinking of a past event which i think is funny and may seen strange to others if im in public or in the classroom. I get extremely nervous around people i dont know i usually avoid public speaking so i avoided classes will not sit next people i dont know and when i did a classroom presentation i was shaking and couldnt make eye contact with others in the room i always get involuntary head shaking or my eyebrow starts twitching when im very nervous when i meet new people go for an interview although this doesnt happen when im with well known friends or family just in public situations or strangers.

Ive been trying to control it but the more i try to control it the worse it gets

I was physically abused by my mums female friend as a child

im 20

Hey, thats not that bad.

Once back in high school i was just minding my own business in the computing class, sitting next to my friends. When the class teacher met me and said:
" Do you understand english" in front of all my friends.:angry:

I was so upset, she said it because I'm asian, in the end all my friends supported me so i guess that sort of made up for it.:s-smilie:
Reply 8
Once when I was 11 a teacher put the words: negro, negroes, hero , heroes on a spelling test. I'm black, and didn't know he was a weird teacher at the time. He also had a "joke-book" and every time someone said something stupid like , "I fluked a bad result in an exam' he'd laugh at us and note it down in his book; partly for his own amusement and partly to humiliate members of the class I suppose. He thought humiliation was the best method of punishment for unruly or stupid children.

His skin was also flakier than KFC.

Now with regards to the OPs problem, your teacher is the one in the wrong. There is nothing wrong with you, except maybe you need a little more self-confidence. I wish you all the best.
(edited 12 years ago)
Have sex with his pets. That'll teach him.
Original post by Blutooth
His skin was also flakier than KFC.

I'm a bit hungover today and the thought of this made me feel quite nauseous :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Original post by ScarlettDangerfield
I'm a bit hungover today and the thought of this made me feel quite nauseous :s-smilie:

Incidentally, I'm eating KFc right now. :smile: Friends just brought some in.
Maybe you all get abused because you're "minding your own business" whilst in lessons?
Reply 13
Original post by Cubic
He probably spends his free time on sikipedia.

"Today is International Women's Day.
It was actually supposed to be held yesterday but they took too long to get ready."

:ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee:

Thank you for what you have shown me.
Reply 14
what a bastard!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending