The Student Room Group

C2 logarithms

Hi guys got my c2 exam soon and am just stressing. I feel pretty confident on most topics and predicted an A. The only problem is my teacher hadn't taught as logarithms yet and I'm freaking out. Is it a big topic? Will our class have enough time? Should I try and work a little by myself... Thanks all (:
Reply 1
The Exam board is OCR mei aswell. What do you hi think about that exam board ? Hard easy ? I've been doing loads of past papers
Reply 2
Prepare for it yourself, that's what I'm doing.
It's kinda straight forward, it's just like power laws
Reply 3
It took us about one double lesson to cover all the log stuff. You'll be fine :smile:
Reply 4
All log questions are easy marks (at least in Edexcel), it is only ... four pages max? Or what I summed it down to, all new calculators will allow you to solve logs to any base, so it is ridiculously comfortable to deal with. Just remember log2(8)=3 and from that you can abuse logs, 2^3 is 8. Or 82^Y=72 log82(72)=Y

It is a pretty easy subject don't stress or make it overly complicated, I recommend remembering what log2(8) is equal to and think of every logs question as easily as that. I can put some worked examples on if you wish.
Reply 5
Hi guys, yes, I am goin to try to cover a bit myself and thanks for the log2(8)= 3 that is a good way to rememeber things!
It was more the past paper questions such as model log10p against log10t and explain why it's a straight line and show the intercept but I'm sure I will learn that eventually... Thanks everyone real great help (:
Reply 6
I have a log question if you guys wouldn't mind taking a look at.

log12 - log 9 + log3 + 1 express it as a single logarithm. where the base for all of them is a constant = a

Wil the answer be Loga12/27a or Loga4a so basically do you apply rules addition or subtraction first?
Reply 7
Original post by alex7892
Hi guys, yes, I am goin to try to cover a bit myself and thanks for the log2(8)= 3 that is a good way to rememeber things!
It was more the past paper questions such as model log10p against log10t and explain why it's a straight line and show the intercept but I'm sure I will learn that eventually... Thanks everyone real great help (:

For the graph questions just compare it to y = mx + c, I think there's even a mark most of the time for writing y = mx + c :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by h2shin

log12 - log 9 + log3 + 1 express it as a single logarithm. where the base for all of them is a constant = a

Wil the answer be Loga12/27a or Loga4a so basically do you apply rules addition or subtraction first?

1= loga(a) and loga(12/9)=loga(12)-loga(9)

remember that addition of logs you multiply and the subtraction of logs you divide when you express as the same log, I believe someone please correct me if I am wrong!

so it can be simplified as loga((12/9)*3)) EDIT: I forgot to add 1 my bad... Sorry!

Once again if I am wrong tell me as I to have a C2 exam next month!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm doing it on Edexcel, but I was able to teach myself Logs pretty easily.
Original post by h2shin

loga4a
Original post by h2shin

I get log(4a) but I dunno if that's right (I'm doing this exam in the summer as well)
Reply 12
Original post by TenOfThem
loga4a

So I use the subtraction rule first because it comes first? there's no BIDMAS applied?
Original post by h2shin
So I use the subtraction rule first because it comes first? there's no BIDMAS applied?

It doesn't matter, you get the same answer either way
Reply 14
Original post by SaintSoldier
It doesn't matter, you get the same answer either way

but (9 * 3) / 12 is not (12 / 9) * 3 ?
Reply 15
Original post by h2shin

No.

Work from left to right.
Reply 16
Original post by f1mad
No.

Work from left to right.

k cheers :smile:
Original post by h2shin
but (9 * 3) / 12 is not (12 / 9) * 3 ?

But you don't divide by 12, there's no - sign in front of it.
Reply 18
Original post by SaintSoldier
But you don't divide by 12, there's no - sign in front of it.

yeah i just wrote that wrong..

should've been 12 / (9*3)
Reply 19
Okay wicked started Logs going really well, feel quite confident with them at the moment. If i hasve any questions i will ask is that cool\?

Quick Reply

Latest