The Student Room Group

Learning a 2nd language

Im 19 and learning Spanish. I would say I’m at the beginning of level B1, I suppose. My mum is Spanish and my dad moved to Spain when he was 5. They speak Spanish to each other, only speak English to and for me. I was not raised bilingual unfortunately, only with English since I was 3, all my schooling done in England. I’m trying to read only in Spanish, books, fanfiction, etc. and watch in Spanish (my Tik Tok is Spanish, I only like Spanish speaking videos so I can improve my comprehension) on my Tik Tok I have subtitles on and with films/series I don’t have subtitles just Spanish speaking. Recently my mum said to me to only speak in Spanish, even if what I say is wrong. So with me only really speaking Spanish along with my parents, and them correcting me. I can understand quite a bit of what my parents say in Spanish and can answer most things when they ask me questions in Spanish. With that immersion along with reading and watching in Spanish everyday. How long roughly, I know it won’t be fully accurate, to get to fluency like C1/C2. Next summer I will take a month intensive course in Spain, but that’s in 11 months, then I have 15 days in Spain with my family (uncle, cousins, aunts/uncles who are all Spanish and know very little English. So I guess how fluent can I get, in my circumstances, in a year?
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Tina7500
Im 19 and learning Spanish. I would say level A2, I suppose. My mum is Spanish and my dad moved to Spain when he was 5. They speak Spanish to each other, only speak English to and for me. I was not raised bilingual unfortunately, only with English since I was 3, all my schooling done in England. I’m trying to read only in Spanish, books, fanfiction, etc. and watch in Spanish (my Tik Tok is Spanish, I only like Spanish speaking videos so I can improve my comprehension) on my Tik Tok I have subtitles on and with films/series I don’t have subtitles just Spanish speaking. Recently my mum said to me to only speak in Spanish, even if what I say is wrong. So with me only really speaking Spanish along with my parents, and them correcting me. I can understand quite a bit of what my parents say in Spanish and can answer most things when they ask me questions in Spanish. With that immersion along with reading and watching in Spanish everyday. How long roughly, I know it won’t be fully accurate, to get to fluency like C1/C2. Next summer I will take a month intensive course in Spain, but that’s in 11 months, then I have 15 days in Spain with my family (uncle, cousins, aunts/uncles who are all Spanish and know very little English. So I guess how fluent can I get, in my circumstances, in a year?

Becoming fluent in a new language like Spanish is a gradual and continuous process that varies from person to person. Your dedication to learning and immersion in Spanish-speaking content is commendable and will undoubtedly accelerate your progress. However, achieving fluency at a C1/C2 level in just one year is quite ambitious, especially given your current level of A2.

The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) describes C1 level as having a high degree of proficiency in the language, where you can understand a wide range of demanding texts, express yourself fluently and spontaneously, and use the language effectively for social, academic, and professional purposes. C2 level is even higher and denotes mastery, where you can understand virtually everything and communicate with native-like precision.

Here are some factors that will influence your progress:

1. Starting Level: Starting from A2, reaching C1/C2 in one year would require significant effort and dedication.

2. Consistency: Your daily immersion in Spanish content and speaking practice with your parents will be immensely helpful. Consistency is key to language learning.

3. Intensive Course: Taking an intensive course in Spain will provide a boost to your language skills, but the real progress comes from continuous practice and application in various contexts.

4. Motivation: Your willingness to engage with the language and desire to improve will play a vital role in your progress.

5. Language Background: Being exposed to Spanish from an early age due to your parents can give you a slight advantage, as you may have developed some subconscious language patterns.

Given your immersion, intensive course, and family interactions, it's possible to make significant progress in a year. You might expect to reach a solid B2 level or even approach C1, where you can communicate effectively and understand a broad range of topics. However, reaching full C1/C2 fluency might take longer.

Remember that fluency is a journey, and everyone's language-learning path is different. Don't be disheartened if you don't reach C1/C2 in a year; instead, celebrate your progress and keep building upon it. With continued dedication and practice, you'll eventually get there. Enjoy the process and the newfound ability to communicate with more people in Spanish!

¡Buena suerte!

Quick Reply

Latest