The Student Room Group

UCL/KCL/manchester

Poll

Which univ you choose for Msc in Computer Science

Hi,
I have got all unconditional offers from UCL (MSc Advanced Computer Networks) and KCL (Msc Advanced Computing) and Manchester (MSc Advanced computer science). Me highly confused which university to accept. My main criteria is to get a well paying job after my degree.

Kindly please provide me your valuable feedback and give me the order of preference of the Univ above?
UCL and KCL have the same reputation which is way above Manchester ? Not sure about computer science specifically though.
KCL has a very strong reputation for computer science.
Reply 3
Manchester excels for the Sciences and bare in mind the first computer comes from Manchester. Internationally Manchester's recognition arguably beats UCL and definitely beats KCL.

Domestically they both probably have the edge but bare in mind Manchester is a very large uni and doesn't do as well as it should in the league rankings due to poor student satisfaction ratings (which comes with the territory of a large uni).

The standard of research Manchester produces in second only to Oxford and Cambridge so you know your lecturers will be at the very forefront of their field.

Also Manchester is the most targeted uni for employment and has the largest career service in the country.

I'd say depending on your preferences
1: Manchester/UCL as a tie
2: KCL

http://www.arwu.org/Country2010Main.jsp?param=United%20Kingdom
(edited 12 years ago)
Manchester seems to have a strong comp sci reputation. There's an incredibly strong history of computer development here, and the few computer scientists I knew at uni have all gone on to have what I would regard as successful starts to their careers - Ultimately though I don't think there'll be a massive difference in job prospects based on going to any of the three - more employers target Manchester, but being based in London probably has its own advantages.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by rodcarter
Manchester excels for the Sciences and bare in mind the first computer comes from Manchester. Internationally Manchester's recognition arguably beats UCL and definitely beats KCL.

Domestically they both probably have the edge but bare in mind Manchester is a very large uni and doesn't do as well as it should in the league rankings due to poor student satisfaction ratings (which comes with the territory of a large uni).

The standard of research Manchester produces in second only to Oxford and Cambridge so you know your lecturers will be at the very forefront of their field.

Also Manchester is the most targeted uni for employment and has the largest career service in the country.

I'd say depending on your preferences
1: Manchester/UCL as a tie
2: KCL

http://www.arwu.org/Country2010Main.jsp?param=United%20Kingdom

Reply 6
Original post by Moiraclaire
UCL and KCL have the same reputation which is way above Manchester ? Not sure about computer science specifically though.

I direct you to the gif in my response to rodcarter
In terms of general prestige and reputation, UCL is a tier above the other two.

I'd put KCL and Manchester in the same tier where one will slightly beat the other depending on the criteria but for the most part are similar.

However, this is just looking at the universities overall; someone familiar with the computing departments will know more.
Reply 8
Thanks you all for your valuable response.It helped me to getting to know the status of all the three universities.It would be much appreciated, If any one could give inputs on the comparison of KCL with Manchester.

Infact, KCL costs 5000 GBP more than Manchester. I am have bit constraints on my budget and need to struggle a bit more to match up with KCL so My concern is paying that much money over there is worth spending??

It would be very useful if any one clarifies this query.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by RocknRap
I direct you to the gif in my response to rodcarter

ahhh which way round ?

And if this is only in computer science, I personally don't care.
Reply 10
Original post by Moiraclaire
ahhh which way round ?

And if this is only in computer science, I personally don't care.

Overall UCL is on a level above KCL and Manchester. Wrt computer science I think it's closer.
Original post by rodcarter
Internationally Manchester's recognition arguably beats UCL and definitely beats KCL.

lol do not confuse familarity with prestige. UCL is tons more prestigious than Manchester. Manchester does well globally, but I don't think it would be considered as 'prestigious' overseas, it's just popular.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending