The Student Room Group

What other unis do I apply to with an interview at Cambridge for law?

Hi!!!!

I have only applied to Cambridge law so far. I recently received an interview. I am private school, UK domestic, no extenuating and A*A*A with A* EPQ.

If I don't get in to Cambridge, I would love to be in London and go to either UCL or KCL. Some others being considered are Manchester and Bristol (not including safety).

I didn't apply everywhere at same time as I was worried about LNAT. Now that I have an interview, does that mean my LNAT is good, more importantly good enough for UCL or KCL or Bristol? Since I am not 3 or 4 A*, I could see LNAT being a strong point for me so then it wouldn't make sense to apply to non LNAT Manchester.

Please could anybody provide insight on whether I am reading too much into the offer invite and its correlation to my LNAT?

Final question, do I stand a better chance at UCL or KCL?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by citystudent41212
Hi!!!!

I have only applied to Cambridge law so far. I recently received an interview. I am private school, UK domestic, no extenuating and A*A*A with A* EPQ.

If I don't get in to Cambridge, I would love to be in London and go to either UCL or KCL. Some others being considered are Manchester and Bristol (not including safety).

I didn't apply everywhere at same time as I was worried about LNAT. Now that I have an interview, does that mean my LNAT is good, more importantly good enough for UCL or KCL or Bristol? Since I am not 3 or 4 A*, I could see LNAT being a strong point for me so then it wouldn't make sense to apply to non LNAT Manchester.

Please could anybody provide insight on whether I am reading too much into the offer invite and its correlation to my LNAT?

Could you ask about your LNAT score at your interview?
Original post by ageshallnot
Could you ask about your LNAT score at your interview?

I doubt it considering LNAT don't want to release results until Feb :frown:. If anybody does know definitely though please feel free to correct me.
I doubt it considering LNAT don't want to release results until Feb :frown:. If anybody does know definitely though please feel free to correct me.

Well, you have the obvious inference that your LNAT is fine by Cambridge's standards. Have a look round more targeted forums to see where that puts you in regard to UCL, KCL etc.
Hi!!!!

UCL, Southampton, Surrey and Manchester
Original post by Wired_1800
Hi!!!!

UCL, Southampton, Surrey and Manchester

Why Surrey?
Surrey is a good ‘safe’ option
Surrey is a good ‘safe’ option

But isn’t Southampton also a safety?
Hi!!!!

Also does it make sense to apply to both ucl and kcl? Or do both roughly take the same level of people and amount.
But isn’t Southampton also a safety?

The general advice is to use the 2:2:1 approach. 2 reach unis, 2 match unis and 1 safety.

The reach unis are unis that you are not sure of getting an offer like Oxbridge etc. the match unis are those that you have a reasonable chance of receiving an offer. The safety is one that you definitely know you will receive an offer based on your grades.

I would not call Southampton a safety uni.
Also does it make sense to apply to both ucl and kcl? Or do both roughly take the same level of people and amount.

Apply to UCL.

The general advice is to use the 2:2:1 approach. 2 reach unis, 2 match unis and 1 safety.

The reach unis are unis that you are not sure of getting an offer like Oxbridge etc. the match unis are those that you have a reasonable chance of receiving an offer. The safety is one that you definitely know you will receive an offer based on your grades.

I’m curious as to why you say Southampton isn’t a safety. My offer would be AAB due to my EPQ. Are my grades not competitive enough for Southampton?

Also considering I got an interview from Cambridge, then would it be reasonable to assume my LNAT is good. If so, it wouldn’t seem optimal to apply to 3 non LNATs. This is just my way of thinking, please do correct me if I’m wrong. Also thank you very much for your replies, they are very helpful!
I’m curious as to why you say Southampton isn’t a safety. My offer would be AAB due to my EPQ. Are my grades not competitive enough for Southampton?

I don't want us to speculate because you do not have an offer yet. Your grades are fine but Southampton is a decent RG uni, so we don't know the level of competition.

Put in an application and let’s see the outcome. If you are at an independent school, you could swap Manchester for Durham. Choose Hatfield as your college.

I don't want us to speculate because you do not have an offer yet. Your grades are fine but Southampton is a decent RG uni, so we don't know the level of competition.

Put in an application and let’s see the outcome. If you are at an independent school, you could swap Manchester for Durham. Choose Hatfield as your college.

Ooh Durham over Manchester is v interesting. Why do you say so and also do I stand a better chance applying Bristol or Durham.
Also considering I got an interview from Cambridge, then would it be reasonable to assume my LNAT is good. If so, it wouldn’t seem optimal to apply to 3 non LNATs. This is just my way of thinking, please do correct me if I’m wrong. Also thank you very much for your replies, they are very helpful!

That’s a reasonable pushback and you are right that it wont be optimal to apply to 3 non LNATs. The caveat is that Cam interviews a wider pool of applicants about 75%, so being called for interview is a strong indicator but should not be concluded as a real indicator of your application’s strength.

With your point in mind, you could consider 2 non-LNAT and 3 LNATs. My advice is to apply now to some unis and hold offers, which would give you confidence in making an informed decision.
Ooh Durham over Manchester is v interesting. Why do you say so and also do I stand a better chance applying Bristol or Durham.

Your grades and the perceived strength of your LNAT (i.e. Cam interview) would indicate that you have a strong academic profile.

I simply swapped Manchester over Durham because you come from an indy school. Both Manchester and Durham are really strong unis. I personally like Durham, so I could be biased though the social life can be hit or miss depending on your college and friendship circle.

You definitely need 2 ‘easy’ unis to apply to because you never know the future hence Southampton and Surrey should be your fall-back options. Once you have your offers then you can make the decision.

Again, please apply now to at least 2-3 more unis. Leave 1 option open incase you dont receive offers. Hedge your bets. Good luck

Your grades and the perceived strength of your LNAT (i.e. Cam interview) would indicate that you have a strong academic profile.

I simply swapped Manchester over Durham because you come from an indy school. Both Manchester and Durham are really strong unis. I personally like Durham, so I could be biased though the social life can be hit or miss depending on your college and friendship circle.

You definitely need 2 ‘easy’ unis to apply to because you never know the future hence Southampton and Surrey should be your fall-back options. Once you have your offers then you can make the decision.

Again, please apply now to at least 2-3 more unis. Leave 1 option open incase you dont receive offers. Hedge your bets. Good luck

Thank you so much for your help, you are amazing!

I initially thought of Bristol rather than Durham as I perceived it as easier to get into. What do you think about that?

Durham is a bit far from me but I generally have the opinion that it is seen as more prestigious than Bristol.
Thank you so much for your help, you are amazing!

I initially thought of Bristol rather than Durham as I perceived it as easier to get into. What do you think about that?

Durham is a bit far from me but I generally have the opinion that it is seen as more prestigious than Bristol.

No worries, here to help.

I would not say that Bristol is easier to get into than Durham. Not sure where you got that info from. Both are prestigious and decent. I cannot advise on the chances of getting into Bristol, but be careful not to overload your selection list with top unis and you miss out on offers.

I don't think you should select your unis based on proximity to your home, as it could impact on your experience as you could be drawn to go home.

Why not add your preferred safety choice now. If you get an offer you don't need a second safety.

Also, when do you get a final decision from Cambridge?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending