The Student Room Group

I am absolutely fed up of thie routine in life. I want to escape reality.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by njff15
Also watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gSSNHO1dDs&feature=related

I'm not saying that these video's are going to change your circumstance. But they are interesting and later on when you feel better you'll remember them and reflect back on them.

I think I may have replied to you anon there for some reason. I was under the impression I may have gone anon for this thread but apparently not haha.

Anyway I'll repeat what I said. Thanks for the video links, I haven't watched the longer one yet but the shorter one is definitely good.

You said you took a year off. I've been thinking about this quite a lot. What did you do though? And what did you want to do? I don't know if it would make me worse. I'd appreciate the lack of routine and freedom, but maybe I'd get bored?
Reply 21
Because I left it a little late, I was made to sit through the exams. Even though I couldn't focus on studying a thing to do with the exams! Needless to say I failed 4/5. I had already submitted a mitigating circumstances form after consulting the GP. This all took lots of time. I was so anti-going to the GP but I'm glad I did now.

To cut a long story short they gave me a second chance. I can give more detail in a PM if you want.

Since I had managed to pass all of the coursework I was required to only resit the exams the following summer (ie. in a months time from now).

I could have done anything in that year I suppose. I immediately went on a long, 3month holiday back to where I grew up (South Africa) and only saw long last friends there. That was really nice since I could be a totally new person with new beginnings. I really felt refreshed and relaxed after that trip.

On I return I started to get bored and fed up with my parents so I decided to keep my university living arrangements. For a while I did what I wanted to do and took part in some of the social events which I actually started enjoying due to lack of any sort of other pressures.

Eventually in second term I decided on my own to attend lectures (even though I'm not paying uni fees this year). The lecturers didn't mind that I was there when I asked them.

I started to listen to the lectures and actually enjoyed them. It was all my choice. And after a few weeks I decided that this is what I want to do. So I made it my aim to do well enough to pass the end of year exams.

I am now feeling confident and less anxious (helped by taking Citralopram). I am only going to keep taking the tablets until after these exams. Then I'm going to slowly come off them.

As for boredom... I started getting interested in a whole lot of things. It was sort of like a year of procrastination without any guilt whatsoever! I started going to the gym and getting really into that. I started getting really into discovering new music. I watched a lot of TV series that interested me. And also bought a kindle and started reading novels again. I tried to find a job but the thought of a commitment still scared me at that stage!

My new-found positive attitude must have rubbed off on other people because I started going out with a girl for the first time in 7 years. I was practically a virgin up until that point (which I think aided a low self-esteem because sex is something I wanted and I couldn't understand why I couldn't attract anyone), not anymore.

Any other questions, just ask.

Keep your chin up. This is just a turning point in your life and you'll look back on it having grown in a way most people would be envious of.

Original post by Airfairy
I think I may have replied to you anon there for some reason. I was under the impression I may have gone anon for this thread but apparently not haha.

Anyway I'll repeat what I said. Thanks for the video links, I haven't watched the longer one yet but the shorter one is definitely good.

You said you took a year off. I've been thinking about this quite a lot. What did you do though? And what did you want to do? I don't know if it would make me worse. I'd appreciate the lack of routine and freedom, but maybe I'd get bored?
Reply 22
Original post by njff15
Because I left it a little late, I was made to sit through the exams. Even though I couldn't focus on studying a thing to do with the exams! Needless to say I failed 4/5. I had already submitted a mitigating circumstances form after consulting the GP. This all took lots of time. I was so anti-going to the GP but I'm glad I did now.

To cut a long story short they gave me a second chance. I can give more detail in a PM if you want.

Since I had managed to pass all of the coursework I was required to only resit the exams the following summer (ie. in a months time from now).

I could have done anything in that year I suppose. I immediately went on a long, 3month holiday back to where I grew up (South Africa) and only saw long last friends there. That was really nice since I could be a totally new person with new beginnings. I really felt refreshed and relaxed after that trip.

On I return I started to get bored and fed up with my parents so I decided to keep my university living arrangements. For a while I did what I wanted to do and took part in some of the social events which I actually started enjoying due to lack of any sort of other pressures.

Eventually in second term I decided on my own to attend lectures (even though I'm not paying uni fees this year). The lecturers didn't mind that I was there when I asked them.

I started to listen to the lectures and actually enjoyed them. It was all my choice. And after a few weeks I decided that this is what I want to do. So I made it my aim to do well enough to pass the end of year exams.

I am now feeling confident and less anxious (helped by taking Citralopram). I am only going to keep taking the tablets until after these exams. Then I'm going to slowly come off them.

As for boredom... I started getting interested in a whole lot of things. It was sort of like a year of procrastination without any guilt whatsoever! I started going to the gym and getting really into that. I started getting really into discovering new music. I watched a lot of TV series that interested me. And also bought a kindle and started reading novels again. I tried to find a job but the thought of a commitment still scared me at that stage!

My new-found positive attitude must have rubbed off on other people because I started going out with a girl for the first time in 7 years. I was practically a virgin up until that point (which I think aided a low self-esteem because sex is something I wanted and I couldn't understand why I couldn't attract anyone), not anymore.

Any other questions, just ask.

Keep your chin up. This is just a turning point in your life and you'll look back on it having grown in a way most people would be envious of.

I'm really glad to hear it has worked out for you. That is an inspiring post. Quick question, how were you allowed to keep living at uni even though you weren't technically a student at the time?
Reply 23
I lived in a shared accommodation in the city, independent from the university (everyone does in Durham in the second year up). Maybe I was technically supposed to apply for Counsel Tax exemption since non-students aren't automatically exempt. But I didn't and I don't think anyone's going to be any wiser.

I'm really glad to hear it has worked out for you. That is an inspiring post. Quick question, how were you allowed to keep living at uni even though you weren't technically a student at the time?
Reply 24
It seems harsh but the only person who can change your life is you. If you want it to change so badly you simply have to make it change. Join some clubs to make friends... even if you don't really enjoy the sports just do it to get yourself out of the house for abit.

Do something crazy like a parachute jump, they don't cost much and it's a really good way to shock yourself into how amazing life can be.

I know being at uni is hard because of the money.
Reply 25
definitely sounds like depression to me, i've been there myself. When I was feeling like that, I found it hard to believe it could be depression and that it was just my personality, but I'm 'cured' (for the most part) now and things are looking brighter, so just remember that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that there really is such thing as depression.
Me also feel like this
Original post by Nousheengangla
Me also feel like this

And I have pet🐈
I am so glad I have found this thread. I have actually just withdrawn from uni but my situation is the same as yours. I am glad to know I am not alone. Xx
I didn't really know where to place this, sorry. Going for health because I'm starting to think I'm not mentally well.

Anyway, I hate life basically. This mundane routine that I seem to be stuck in. A path of loneliness, I've lost all my friends and I have no-one now. I do the same thing everyday, and I find it so painful and dull. I find myself taking sleeping tablets at around 6pm, so that I don't have to endure the lonely night. I even took some as soon as I woke up the other day, because sleep is the only time I can escape my feelings. As soon as I wake up I'm upset again.

I have an appointment with the uni counsellor, but the wait is like three months. I'm finding it quite hard to cope. I'm really not comfortable with being on medication for my feelings. I don't like that, it just sounds so unnatural.

I think at the end of the day I feel so ****ing lonely, I have no-one in my life but my boyfriend, and I'm very grateful for him but he has his own friends and his own life so he can't always be there.

Honestly don't know what to do. I just want to runaway from all this, but I don't have enough money to.

Don't know why I posted this thread. Sorry. I just need to I

I am going through the same. I understand completely xx

Quick Reply

Latest