The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you think Prostitutes deserve Respect?

Scroll to see replies

All human beings deserve to be respected as what they are....human beings.
they do what they gotta do to survive...why shouldn't they be respected?
Reply 102
I respect Prostitutes just as much as I respect anyone else, however, I have nothing but disgust for men who go to prostitutes.
Reply 103
Original post by mmaize
People may want to think that they are on the street because they like sex, because they want to empower themselves, because they don't want to claim benefits, or whatever other reason they use to justify having sex with vulnerable women. The reality is most of them are unable to work due to leaving school young and having a chaotic drug based life and are in a situation where they will do anything for money because heroin makes you a desperate person. Often abusive partners will 'encourage' women onto the streets. Most of them are drunk and on drugs when they work just to get through it. Prostitutes have a much higher chance of being assaulted than other women. Who would chose that lifestyle?

That's only because it's stigmatised and therefore isn't properly regulated as a proper business with safeguards for it's employees like most things.

If we only accepted that the demand and supply of sex is a normal and necessary part of society, then sex workers would be much better protected.

If we decriminalised and legalised heroin and made rehabilitation much more accessible, then heroin would not be anywhere near as expensive and these women wouldn't need to do jobs if they really don't want to. And drug addicts wouldn't need to commit so much crime to fund their habit, which is a very large proportion of crime. Heroin should be available on the NHS because addiction is a disease. Think about the dramatic drop in crime. Notice how all these problems can be miraculously solved if you take a common sense perspective.

Legalise and regulate sex and drugs, just pretending like they don't and shouldn't exist isn't going to make them go away.
Original post by slylee
It's true, some guys can't get any sex at all and instead of resorting to rape, they buy some time with a prostitue.

My friend said this - just makes more men see women as a sex object with no value.

So pick which reply you hate the most.

It's not true - there's no evidence for that proposition whatsoever. If your experience is that you find yourself considering rape when you're not having sex, please seek professional help now.
Reply 105
Original post by Stefan1991
Reality check. We sell our bodies to strangers all the time. It's called wage labour. We rent ourselves for a few hours so some strangers can make money off us.

There are many people who cannot satisfy their sex drives through normal means. Sometimes they become sex workers. Yes, obviously people like drug addicts are going to choose sex work as a way to get quick and easy money to fund their habit, doesn't mean all sex workers are drug addicts.

Stop taking such a one-dimensional and unnecessarily negative view on why people might want to do this type of work. They may be students, they may be people who just like the idea. They may be people with no skills and see it as easy work. "Economic circumstances" isn't that the reason why anyone gets a job? No one does a 9-5 just for the fun of it.

No, there are not "always" severe circumstances. Stop stereotyping. Many people have sex with strangers, sometimes they don't even get paid.

Oh for goodness sake! Lol we all sell our bodies does that then make us all prostitutes, is that what you are saying? I categorically disagree with all of your views regarding this subject and any statements or comments made by you are not going to change that.
I've made no secret of the fact that I use prostitutes fairly regularly. I love them as people so of course I respect them. Although if, like a lot of prostitutes, I were earning over 100k a year, I wouldn't give a toss whether people respected me or not.
Reply 107
Original post by eff01
Oh for goodness sake! Lol we all sell our bodies does that then make us all prostitutes, is that what you are saying? I categorically disagree with all of your views regarding this subject and any statements or comments made by you are not going to change that.

Prejudiced people rarely listen to reason. I'm not surprised.

Yes, yes it does. We are commodifying our body as something which is sold or rented. You pretend like there's a difference with prostitution. At least with sex work there's a little bit more autonomy.

All women enforce some form of prostitution. Prostitution is evolutionarily familiar, because mating is evolutionarily familiar and prostitutes are no different from other women, whom men also have to pay . Not in cash payments but in dinners and movies, gifts, flowers and chocolates, if they wanted to impress them enough to have sex with them.

Just because someone does it to put tea on the table instead of movies and restaurant meals doesn't make a blind bit of difference.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by hmon93
I have nothing but disgust for men who go to prostitutes.

Why? :lolwut:

More intelligent men are more likely to have had sex with a prostitute.

Intelligent men are less likely to believe in silly propaganda, and less likely to have the kind of fragile masculine ego which would be wounded by "having to pay for it." The intelligent man knows that "free sex is the most expensive kind," and can make the reasonable and pragmatic decision to spend his money on a "sure thing" rather than chasing women whose price and quality are uncertain. It makes logical sense.
This is a ridiculous question. Everyone deserves respect.
Reply 110
Original post by frenchfries
They’re fools! They’re letting their bodies get all used up and their not even keeping the majority of the money!

There’s a difference between a woman that’s selling her body on the street and one that’s more exclusive.

There’s a huge difference between one that’s even selling her body for money and one that’s selling it for something else, like crack.

Is there really? Selling your body is selling yor body, regardless of who the clients are and whether you meet them in the hilton or an alleyway. It's more of a 'career' if you're more 'exclusive.' Prostitutes should be respected, everyone should be respected, I don't think respect is really the right way to put it
Yes.

Of course they deserve respect. Everyone deserves to be respect.
Respect on a personal level must be earned but to disrespect somebody because of a choice they have made to provide for themselves and possibly their families is an awful thing.
I don't think we can make assumptions about people that work in these roles because we don't know what has caused them to do it - they could be desperate and destitute and prostitution would be their only way to earn money. Or it could be a conscious choice they have made and one that should be respected.
Reply 112
Original post by Stefan1991
Prejudiced people rarely listen to reason. I'm not surprised.

Yes, yes it does. We are commodifying our body as something which is sold or rented. You pretend like there's a difference with prostitution. At least with sex work there's a little bit more autonomy.

All women enforce some form of prostitution. Prostitution is evolutionarily familiar, because mating is evolutionarily familiar and prostitutes are no different from other women, whom men also have to pay . Not in cash payments but in dinners and movies, gifts, flowers and chocolates, if they wanted to impress them enough to have sex with them.

Just because someone does it to put tea on the table instead of movies and restaurant meals doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

So on Valentine's Day I brought my girl some underwear, she put it on and later we banged, does that then make my girlfriend a prostitute?
You are hardly the voice of reason in this debate.
(edited 12 years ago)
Best if I keep my honest opinions to myself on this one. But no, they don't deserve respect, they're a disgrace.

(Not those that are forced into doing it ofcourse).
Respect is earned.
So no, I do not respect them simply because of their job. (Likewise for most other professions)
yes.. do you even know what they do for money? even if it wasn't for a good intents on just keeping healthy and safe.. it still takes courage to do that work.
Shocked at the results. Of course they don't "deserve respect", it's a degrading and lazy way of making ends meet or on the opposite end of the spectrum, producing a lavish lifestyle. Prostitutes have no respect for themselves, selling their bodies to some odd loser who has to pay for sex, so why would they get respect for that?! Prostitution in the Victorian age was a way of staying alive for many, in the present day welfare state there's no excuses to resort to such a degrading 'job'.

It also encourages infidelity, particularly so if it were to be legal.
Reply 117
I'm not confusing anything, i'm merely relaying the scientific research on the matter.
Reply 118
Read the first chapter of Superfreakonomics.

<3 x
Original post by Noble.
They deserve more respect than people who leech off the government without trying to rectify the situation.
:biggrin: So leeching -- in more than one sense of the word -- off some dirty old businessman with a cheesy cock, hairy arse and idiosyncratic sense of delectation is more respectable than being unemployed through not wishing to engage in that. What a beautiful worldview you have!

Anyway, back to the topic: I don't particularly respect anyone because of what job they do, very few people really want to be doing what they do with their lives (and we could get into a discussion about free will too, but let's not get too philosophical), so I don't see why I should judge them on that basis. We seem to have had a lot of threads about this on TSR recently though; it's slightly worrying how the internet, amongst other things, seems to be causing this to be quasi-normalized.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending