The Student Room Group

North Korea likely to carry out nuclear test

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Good, this is what I want.

So you want North Korea's stalinist regime to be completely invincible and capable of defeating South Korea? Why? Do you just oppose US policies for the sake of opposing US policy even if it leads to disaster?

For far too long the US has remained unchallenged and I respect NK's right to nuclear weaponry as much as I respect the US's.

How very Chamberlain of you.
Reply 81
Original post by Theoneoranro
Why did we go to help the libyans and not the north koreans who are the most opressed people in the world? Makes no sense at all. We invaded countries for no reason and the one country in the world which needs to be invaded is never even touched. Makes you question the real intentions of our politicians.

For the first few decades after the Korean war the DPRK had the support of China and the USSR and hence couldn't be invaded without causing World War III. In more recent decades they built up enough chemical weapons and artillery to destroy Seoul; South Korea's capital meaning that any invasion would have a high cost for South Koreans. In the last decade they have acquired nuclear weaponry and are trying to acquire long range missiles so that they can force other nations to stay out of their planned war against the South.
Here are the first released pictures of North Korea testing their first Nuclear Bombs called '리더 클래스 얘야, 둘, 셋,' (dear leader bomb 1, 2 and 3). Warning the images in the spoiler may be disturbing!

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nick100
For the first few decades after the Korean war the DPRK had the support of China and the USSR and hence couldn't be invaded without causing World War III. In more recent decades they built up enough chemical weapons and artillery to destroy Seoul; South Korea's capital meaning that any invasion would have a high cost for South Koreans. In the last decade they have acquired nuclear weaponry and are trying to acquire long range missiles so that they can force other nations to stay out of their planned war against the South.

Would be a risky business. Effectively calling the us's bluff by attacking the south hoping that the threat of nukes directed at the us would stop them intervening when the us has nukes aimed at them. Can't see it ever being in chinas interests and that will be the deciding factor while nk is so reliant on them.

Look at cuba. Theyre no threat to anyone. Cubans are pretty happy. And yet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuba%E2%80%93United_States_relations#U.S._vision_for_transition_to_democracy

In other words "No matter what you do it wont be enough. We're gonna push and push and push until you do exactly what we say. So you may as well make a stand now "
Reply 84
Basically the gist of it is that we're all screwed should it get out of hand
The only way denuclearisation will happen is if people start respecting other peoples right to think differently to them. This whole communism thing is a spat between people who put freedom and equality in different orders of importance. People who think thats worth incinerating millions of people over are nuts and if thats the sort of people our systems bring into power perhaps we all need to go back to the drawing board.

Only a fool would try to argue that democracy is perfect, a system within which a newspaper that people buy to look at tits can swing elections and hold politicians to ransom. Nobody would argue that any other system is perfect either. Castro is an angel compared to many other communist leaders. The us couldve said, "hey, ease the censorship and we wont bombard you with propaganda". Then got on with them. In doing so they'd have shown other communist countries that they don't need wmd's and heavy censorship because nobodys going to attack them. Obviously communism has been guilty of wanting world domination too. As is islam. But I don't believe even Kim Jong Un would like to actually use his nukes. I think he would. But given a choice I think he'd prefer not to. You should at least try a genuine olive branch rather than taking the piss by accusing cuba of human rights violations and then opening a torture camp there. If nothing else the peaceful world would respect our leaders for dropping vendettas and trying. Im no fan of communism, or islam, or christianity for that matter. But I'm happy to accept their right to exist.

People don't see how aggressive the united states is because they are born into democratic countries and fed democratic ideas through the media and therefore believe democracy is right. For many democracy becomes a justification for war. Same happens in communist and islamic countries. See the bigger picture. Lead by example.
Reply 86
I sincerely admire North Korea, the inhabitants have no conditions for life, they live very badly, but they have national dignity. The truth is that they live under a dictatorship, but it does not bow to anyone and nobody listening,
Reply 87
Original post by Milos1989
I sincerely admire North Korea, the inhabitants have no conditions for life, they live very badly, but they have national dignity. The truth is that they live under a dictatorship, but it does not bow to anyone and nobody listening,

The fact that the dictatorship listens to no one isn't a good thing; you could use pretty much exactly the same arguments for admiring Joseph Fritzl.
Original post by Nick100
So you want North Korea's stalinist regime to be completely invincible and capable of defeating South Korea? Why?

This is a misnomer. A nuclear deterrent doesn't even in the slightest make a nation 'invincible'. It is exactly what it is; a deterrent.

Do you just oppose US policies for the sake of opposing US policy even if it leads to disaster?

I oppose US policy because its (generally speaking) worse for the world. It acts only in its own interests without concern for other nations.
Original post by Bobifier
I would rather live under the rule of the US than in a world in which North Korea has nuclear weapons.

I have no desire to live under anyone's thumb. Nor do I live in fear of some misnomer on the edge of the pacific ocean. Besides, the world needs a nuclear missile aimed squarely at every major US city to keep it in check.
Original post by Jiytt
X

I suggest you actually take a genuine look into what the CIA does on foreign soil. Whether that's Iran, the Congo or Venezuela. I'm not going to waste my time trying to educate you when the information is readily available. I would go so far as to point you toward what the US considers doing to its own civilians, let alone the rest of the world: Operation Northwoods.

As iterated above, I would much prefer to live in a world where the largest economic and military superpower has a nuclear missile aimed at every major US city, than in a world where said superpower has free reign to stamp its mark of tyranny on the globe.
(edited 12 years ago)
Lol the Western allies stockpile nuclear weapons like it's no man's business and is surprised when 'the East' wants to do the same? Absolute joke.

By no means do I think that nuclear weapons are a good thing for our shared humanity, but hey - what right does the United States have to argue against their claim for nuclear weapons when they themselves have more than every nation except Russia? As far as I'm concerned, North Korea has as valid and legitimate a right to nuclear weapons as the rest of us.

Any disagreement is just a double standard.

"Whaaattt?? They want to have weapons too? Well that's preposterous! Only we are allowed to rape, pillage and invade foreign third world nations! Only we're allowed to stockpile the most deadly weapons on the planet! This is an outrage! Their claim to nuclear technology is an affront to peace and love!!1 What's that? Our weapons? Oh, don't be silly, we only carry nuclear trident missiles of love, we're the good guys, don't worry!"

Pshh..

You're clearly new to geopolitics, so I'll attempt to explain this in the easiest way possible: some countries cannot be trusted with nuclear weapons.

Yes, that's right! Some countries - and I hope your bleeding liberal heart is still beating in your chest so you can comprehend this fully - would misuse nuclear weapons. Blab all you like about Western imperialism, but the West is safe. Besides Hiroshima and Nagasaki, nuclear weapons have never been used by one nation against another. Reasoning that just because the United States has nukes, that all countries should be free to acquire them is signing your own death warrant. If we let North Korea - a staunchly anti-Western nation always on the brink of war with its neighbour - have nuclear weapons, then why shouldn't we let the suicidal mullahs in Iran have them? I'm sure they can be trusted!
Original post by Ann Widdecombe
You're clearly new to geopolitics, so I'll attempt to explain this in the easiest way possible: some countries cannot be trusted with nuclear weapons.

Yes, that's right! Some countries - and I hope your bleeding liberal heart is still beating in your chest so you can comprehend this fully - would misuse nuclear weapons. Blab all you like about Western imperialism, but the West is safe. Besides Hiroshima and Nagasaki, nuclear weapons have never been used by one nation against another. Reasoning that just because the United States has nukes, that all countries should be free to acquire them is signing your own death warrant. If we let North Korea - a staunchly anti-Western nation always on the brink of war with its neighbour - have nuclear weapons, then why shouldn't we let the suicidal mullahs in Iran have them? I'm sure they can be trusted!

Firstly, there's no such thing as 'let'. Our options are limited, and as the OP stated; 'military action is off the table'. You may as well drop the guise that NK is subject to the will of the west. If they want nuclear arms, they're not going to wait for the West to give the thumbs up: they will do it anyway.

Ah yes, 'the west is safe'. Unfortunately, the west has also been stamping its foot of self-interested foreign policy since the inception of post-WWII politics. From coups to illegal wars, the United States is willing to destroy democracy and kill aplenty, so long as it meets a US-friendly agenda.

The truth is, NK's military record is squeeky clean in comparison to the US's reign of bloodshed (and no, I'm not being ironic). Whether it's the use of systematic rape or white phosphorous or napalm, it's all A-okay with the USA so long as it means something beneficial for them. I feel much safer with a nuclear warhead aimed squarely at Los Angeles to keep the US in check than I do with unchallenged hegemony.

:Yawn: I suspect another response filled with irrelevant ad hominems. Such is the resolve of people who can't really argue their points very well. Bleeding heart liberal, yada yada yada. Let me know when you're prepared to get serious.
Ah yes, 'the west is safe'. Unfortunately, the west has also been stamping its foot of self-interested foreign policy since the inception of post-WWII politics. From coups to illegal wars, the United States is willing to destroy democracy and kill aplenty, so long as it meets a US-friendly agenda.

Some real edgy yank bashing there. Wow. You really put them to rights!!

The truth is, NK's military record is squeeky clean in comparison to the US's reign of bloodshed (and no, I'm not being ironic). Whether it's the use of systematic rape or white phosphorous or napalm, it's all A-okay with the USA so long as it means something beneficial for them. I feel much safer with a nuclear warhead aimed squarely at Los Angeles to keep the US in check than I do with unchallenged hegemony.

Not sure if srs or just stupid.

There are nuclear weapons "aimed" at major US cities. If Russia or China wanted to, they could flatten Washington, D.C. or New York or LA in a matter of hours. But the reason that fact doesn't much affect US foreign policy outside those countries' spheres of influence is because those countries are rational actors, and it's not in their interest to start a global thermonuclear war.

North Korea, a dirt-poor Communist nation with a population brainwashed to be mindless sycophants run by a 28-year-old kid along with his dead forebears who all have/had a burning hatred of the West cannot be described as a rational actor. Neither can the Islamic Republic of Iran. But hey, what's a couple of billion dead in a global nuclear war, just as long as it stops the big bad American wolf, eh? :rolleyes:

The United States is far, FAR from perfect, but I'd take them running the world any day over a nuclear holocaust, or Iran or North Korea being in the same position.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 94
This is a misnomer. A nuclear deterrent doesn't even in the slightest make a nation 'invincible'. It is exactly what it is; a deterrent.

The effect that their possession of nukes would have is that it would be impossible for any nation to defeat North Korea without taking heavy casualties - it would be effectively unassailable and hence for all intents and purposes invincible.

In any case you have avoided my point with semantics; why do you want North Korea's Stalinist dictatorship to become effectively unassailable?

I oppose US policy because its (generally speaking) worse for the world. It acts only in its own interests without concern for other nations.

Even in cases where US policy is objectively better for the world? In this case its policy protects South Korea from its crazy totalitarian neighbour - if you oppose that then you are opposing US policy for the sake of opposing US policy.
I'm going to address the only relevant point you've made.

Original post by Ann Widdecombe

The United States is far, FAR from perfect, but I'd take them running the world any day over a nuclear holocaust, or Iran or North Korea being in the same position.

If you're willing to ignore the reign of tyranny that the United States is willing to enact, that's up to you. Realistically speaking, we live in a safer world where the United States' power is kept in check by the fact that the countries' it chooses to bully have the option to nuke them into the ground. It's a fail safe. Your judgement of the situation is at the behest of the belief that NK nuclear arms = nuclear holocaust, an assessment that a) isn't true and b) ignores the reality of US hegemony. This has nothing to do with 'yank bashing' and everything to do with exposing the reality of US foreign policy - something which makes you look every bit as brainwashed and lemming-like as you describe North Koreans.
Original post by Nick100
The effect that their possession of nukes would have is that it would be impossible for any nation to defeat North Korea without taking heavy casualties - it would be effectively unassailable and hence for all intents and purposes invincible.

It acts as a measure of protection against foreign aggressors and provides the same fail-safe that a nuclear provides anyone - the UK for example. I have no desire to see North Korea 'defeated', for some misaligned belief that western hegemony must be maintained. In any case, their conventional military is piss poor. They are 'invincible' only against the threat of being invaded Iraq-style, a fail-safe that all nations should hold against US aggression.

In any case you have avoided my point with semantics; why do you want North Korea's Stalinist dictatorship to become effectively unassailable?

As I pointed out, it only makes a power unassailable in terms of the ability of foreign nations to rip apart the state completely. A right that all people, including Brits have.

Even in cases where US policy is objectively better for the world?

This doesn't happen.

In this case its policy protects South Korea from its crazy totalitarian neighbour - if you oppose that then you are opposing US policy for the sake of opposing US policy.

Such is the resolve of individuals so entrenched in a perpetual state of existential fear...

As stated over and over (and I'm not going to repeat myself again). It is a deterrent and NK is subject to the same rules of reality as anyone, regardless of your opinion. It is subject to MAD, and in reality the deterrent is a fail-safe against people like you: those who insist that foreign nations leave their vulnerabilities open for exploitation, just in the invent that we have some desire to invade and destroy.
I'm going to address the only relevant point you've made.

If my other points truly were irrelevant, I'm sure you'd take glee in pointing out where exactly their irrelevancies lie. As you've not done this, however, I'm going to assume you simply have no counterargument to them.

If you're willing to ignore the reign of tyranny that the United States is willing to enact, that's up to you. Realistically speaking, we live in a safer world where the United States' power is kept in check by the fact that the countries' it chooses to bully have the option to nuke them into the ground. It's a fail safe. Your judgement of the situation is at the behest of the belief that NK nuclear arms = nuclear holocaust, an assessment that a) isn't true and b) ignores the reality of US hegemony. This has nothing to do with 'yank bashing' and everything to do with exposing the reality of US foreign policy - something which makes you look every bit as brainwashed and lemming-like as you describe North Koreans.

Let me flip it around: you're willing to ignore the enormous imbalance of global security that would come with a state like North Korea obtaining a viable nuclear weapon, just because it would mean the end of the US overstepping its mark in terms of foreign policy.

I don't even know why you think North Korea obtaining a nuke would dull the United States' imperialistic tenancies. They'd likely still be there, there'd just also be a concurrent cold war. Except this time, with a far less rational actor than the USSR.

Viewing North Korean acquisition of a nuclear weapon as a means to halting US imperialism is sort of like viewing destroying your street as a means to stopping an annoying nosy neighbour. Sure, your house is destroyed, along with everyone else's, but hey, at least he won't be able to use his telescope to perv on you while you're in the shower!
Reply 98
It acts as a measure of protection against foreign aggressors and provides the same fail-safe that a nuclear provides anyone - the UK for example. I have no desire to see North Korea 'defeated', for some misaligned belief that western hegemony must be maintained. In any case, their conventional military is piss poor. They are 'invincible' only against the threat of being invaded Iraq-style, a fail-safe that all nations should hold against US aggression.

But why don't you want to see a totalitarian dictatorship defeated? If it was defeated then it would be annexed into and become like South Korea. It isn't for some "belief in Western hegemony" - if South Korea annexed the North then Korea would be entirely free and could become as powerful as Britain or France.

As I pointed out, it only makes a power unassailable in terms of the ability of foreign nations to rip apart the state completely. A right that all people, including Brits have.

Firstly how can that be a "right of the people"; the people have no say in what the North Korean state does? Secondly, North Korea doesn't believe that South Korea has that right. Thirdly, the "foreign nation" which would rip apart the North Korean state is South Korea. Why is it a bad thing for an oppressive, malevolent dictatorship to be destroyed and replaced by a benign democracy?

This doesn't happen.

Except in this case, where US policy is to undermine a totalitarian dictatorship.

Such is the resolve of individuals so entrenched in a perpetual state of existential fear...

As stated over and over (and I'm not going to repeat myself again). It is a deterrent and NK is subject to the same rules of reality as anyone, regardless of your opinion. It is subject to MAD, and in reality the deterrent is a fail-safe against people like you: those who insist that foreign nations leave their vulnerabilities open for exploitation, just in the invent that we have some desire to invade and destroy.

But if North Korea gained a long range weapon it would only be MAD between North Korea and the USA, not between North and South Korea - that is the problem. I would prefer that South Korea just built its own nukes but the next best thing is for North Korea to be unable to construct long range nukes. South Korea has nothing to retaliate against a nuclear attack with - allowing North Korea to build long range missiles will undermine the South's deterrent.

And I insist that we prevent North Korea from closing its vulnerabilities because I want to see its government annihilated. I don't even care who does it; even if Russia or China did it that would be preferrable to the status quo.
Original post by Nick100
And I insist that we prevent North Korea from closing its vulnerabilities because I want to see its government annihilated. I don't even care who does it; even if Russia or China did it that would be preferrable to the status quo.

Hmm. Don't you think people like you bear some of the responsibility for the situation there? If you didnt imagine yourself some right to force you ideology on others then maybe people like nk wouldnt feel the need to direct funds at arms rather than the population. If, the second nk reduced censorship you wouldnt use that to bombard them with propaganda they wouldnt be so steadfast in their refusal to do so. Most of what you criticize them for can be seen as a defensive posture against people like you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending