The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

why is homophobia still acceptable?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Kiss
Well then that's not really free speech then :rolleyes:

No, it's not, and there has never been such a thing as "free speech" and never will be. I don't know why people keep referencing it.
Reply 41
Original post by Kiss
Well then that's not really free speech then :rolleyes:

Nowhere in the world does anyone have whole freedom of speech.
Reply 42
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
:rolleyes: Free speech is about what you have a right to say. Can your say whatever you want? Sure but not all speech is protected as something you have an intrinsic right to say. Free speech is generally applied with the harm principle. As is 'free will' could you technically do whatever you want? Yes but you don't have the intrinsic right to do whatever you want e.g. murdering someone.

Yes, and the right to express one's opinion is entailed in that - or at least it is in some countries, but certainly not in this PC mess of a state. You ignored the dictionary definition in favour of the political definition.
Original post by NB_ide
Yes I can think of hypothetical examples as well, but does that actually happen, do you think? And to what extent? Employers don't even know about a candidate's sexual interests unless they decide to chat about them in the interview for some strange reason.

http://www.businessinsider.com/9-illegal-interview-questions-that-sound-legal-2012-3#are-you-married-2

number 2
Original post by NB_ide
Yes I can think of hypothetical examples as well, but does that actually happen, do you think? And to what extent? Employers don't even know about a candidate's sexual interests unless they decide to chat about them in the interview for some strange reason.

Sometimes they ask about it on the application form or something, I refused to answer the question once. Not seen it on one recently though...
Okay, more realistically, a boss finds out that one of their employees is gay (overheard saying 'yeah I went on a date with [same sex name or pronoun]', or using girlfriend/boyfriend who is the same sex in conversation) and then fires them for that reason - it wouldn't be allowed (the boss would probably look for another reason and quote that as why they were fired, but if they couldn't find a reason - example of a translator who is never late, doesn't make very many mistakes or at least fewer than his/her colleagues, gets on well with everyone - the boss wouldn't be able give a proper reason to fire this person and wouldn't be able to do on the basis that they're gay).
Original post by R4INBOW
who is this DK fella? :confused:

Dykwia ? ahaha he's a notorious gay basher on the forum, great fun to have an argument with though some of his views are hilarious :rolleyes:
Original post by Danen
it does. its part of western societies to discuss things one finds offensive etc

In the United Kingdom, several statutes protect several categories of persons from hate speech. The statutes forbid communication which is hateful, threatening, abusive, or insulting and which targets a person on account of skin colour, race, disability, nationality (including citizenship), ethnic or national origin, religion, or sexual orientation. The penalties for hate speech include fines, imprisonment, or both.
It isn't. Not in my experience, not any more. I remember when in the Scouts, though, people sang the "Homosexual: no dick, no balls, no testicles..." song. It made me feel quite sick.
Reply 48
It will die out eventually just as long as it took the womens suffrage/ racism etc
(remember these did not happen over night)
So... matter of time i suppose
Reply 49

:s-smilie: I'm not sure how that reveals anything about one's sexuality. Yes/no, doesn't tell us anything. It's not as if a gay man in an interview will have to say "Oh, no I'm not married LOL I am in a civil partnership, though. Not the same thing."

He could just say yes/no as appropriate.

Weird. Some of those other illegal questions are pretty common. Every application form and CV I've prepared has my dates of graduation and I'm sure my DOB on some. I'm not actually ashamed of my age and it's obvious roughly how old someone is when you meet them anyway so I wouldn't care.
Reply 50
Original post by NB_ide

If they ask for your marital status and you say married, they automatically know you're straight. If you reveal you're 'in a civil partnership', you've automatically revealed you're gay.
Reply 51
Original post by minimarshmallow
Sometimes they ask about it on the application form or something, I refused to answer the question once. Not seen it on one recently though...

I think large employers are obliged by law to collect info about these things so they can be monitored and an appropriate forced-mix of protected characteristics can be developed. It usually says that that info is not shown to the selection panel, though, and is confidential.

Okay, more realistically, a boss finds out that one of their employees is gay (overheard saying 'yeah I went on a date with [same sex name or pronoun]', or using girlfriend/boyfriend who is the same sex in conversation) and then fires them for that reason - it wouldn't be allowed (the boss would probably look for another reason and quote that as why they were fired, but if they couldn't find a reason - example of a translator who is never late, doesn't make very many mistakes or at least fewer than his/her colleagues, gets on well with everyone - the boss wouldn't be able give a proper reason to fire this person and wouldn't be able to do on the basis that they're gay).

Yes, again a hypothetical example that I completely understand. But does it actually happen?
Reply 52
In the United Kingdom, several statutes protect several categories of persons from hate speech. The statutes forbid communication which is hateful, threatening, abusive, or insulting and which targets a person on account of skin colour, race, disability, nationality (including citizenship), ethnic or national origin, religion, or sexual orientation. The penalties for hate speech include fines, imprisonment, or both.

yes, and this is one of the reasons the united kingdom is considered the laughing stock of europe. they even ban elected politicians from neighbouring countries.
Why do people ask questions that are patently rep-hunting? I don't think many people would agree with your assertion that homophobia is 'still acceptable'.
Reply 54

All of which seem to go against Human Rights..........
Original post by Danen
yes, and this is one of the reasons the united kingdom is considered the laughing stock of europe. they even ban elected politicians from neighbouring countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech here's a comprehensive list of policies.
Reply 56
Original post by Gales
If they ask for your marital status and you say married, they automatically know you're straight. If you reveal you're 'in a civil partnership', you've automatically revealed you're gay.

"Married" as a casual term is used commonly by all couples, I highly doubt this question is ever pressed with fine definitions in order to weed out homosexuals.
Reply 57
Original post by Kiss

Original post by Kiss

Except...they don't...please see NYU's post.
Reply 59
Original post by NB_ide
"Married" as a casual term is used commonly by all couples, I highly doubt this question is ever pressed with fine definitions in order to weed out homosexuals.

That's not what I said lol. In legal definitions too people of the same-sex aren't married, they're in a civil partnership. If you have someone homophobic looking through details and they see civil partnership, that reveals the person's sexual orientation. Does it not?

Latest

Trending

Trending