The Student Room Group

C3 (Not MEI) - Thursday June 14 2012, AM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by ZoeK123
I found it round the x axis NOOOOOOO ='(
That means I would have lost like the full 8 marks.

A lot of people did that. That might work in your favour.

I personally found the volume of the cylinder around the x axis, but the volume under the curve around y ... so did half of it right
How did you have to do question 9iii) ?? i got the 9ii right but i dont know what i did for the last bit :/
Reply 362
Original post by priyapatel
How did you have to do question 9iii) ?? i got the 9ii right but i dont know what i did for the last bit :/

I found the volume of the cylinder around the y axis, then deducted the volume between the curve and the y axis from that
hw much marks wud u get for the last question on finding y and integrating and integrating the line?
also for the intergrad q on 4 i put e^x2 and not 2x. hw much will i lose
Original post by mfmdanny
Jan 11: A* 59, A 52, B 45 100 UMS: 66
June 10: A* 56, A 50, B 44 100 UMS: 62
June 11: A* 58, A 52, B 46 100 UMS: 64
Jan 12: A* 61, A 54, B 47 100 UMS: 68

Where A* = 90 UMS

A* Based on the difference between A and B added to mark for A
100 UMS grade boundary based on twice the difference between A and B

Based on this, I would say 60 is about 85-95 UMS

Thanks a lot mate feel a lot better about the exam now, I just completely screwed up on q 9 (ii) and tried finding the volume rotated about the x axis which isn't possible with C3 knowledge and noticed in the last minute it wanted it around the y axis :frown:
Reply 366
If anybdy feels down from todays exam, here's something for you:

[video="youtube;2J5xs2ukksE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J5xs2ukksE[/video]
Okay, i've now managed to remember all of my answers.
Do people generally agree with this?:

- x<4/3 and x>6

- (ep^2)/q = 261
- 5^n > pq, smallest integer n = 361 (n > 360.4)

- tan = 6
- tan(alpha - 45) = 5/7
- tan(2xalpha) = -12/35

- normal ln graph (stretched scale factor k, but i wouldn't think this would need to be indictaed)
AND x^2 graph, reflected in the x axis crossing y at -14 (I got this wrong - forgot to reflect in y axis so I put y=x^2 crossing y axis at +14))
- I didn't really know what to do for part 2, so i rearragned the equation to f(x) = X^2 + 3lnx - 14.
Then I subbed 2,3 and 4 for x, and found a sign change between 3 and 4, so put: 3 < alpha < 4
- alpha = 3.24 (2 dp)

[fg(x)]:
- alpha = 4
- X = -1/2

- integrate (e^x + 2)^2 = 1/2(e^2 + 8e - 1) (I think I put this)

- dv/dh = 12.17
- dv/dt = 0.183 (3 sf)

- 5sin(theta + 53.1)
- theta = -64.6, 138.4
- k=8, c=3

- Differentiates to ln(2y)
- (pi/2)(3e^4 + 1)
- (pi/2)(e^4 - 1)

can anyone remember how many marks each question was worth? :smile:
Reply 368
If anybdy feels down from todays exam, here's something for you:

[video="youtube;2J5xs2ukksE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J5xs2ukksE[/video]

I'll fix that for you

[video="youtube;nUuggXTCNJE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUuggXTCNJE&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLsiYmze_-n1RgkvlXz2IzXw[/video]
Reply 369

AND x^2 graph, reflected in the x axis crossing y at -14 (I got this wrong - forgot to reflect in y axis so I put y=x^2 crossing y axis at +14))

I thought the equation of the line was y=14 - x^2? It would cross the y-axis at y=14 when x=0 right?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 370
For 9ii the one where you had to find the volume of the area rotated around the y axis. Could you have do the volume of the rectangle take away the volume of the area under the curve between the limits of 2 and 0?
Reply 371
Original post by joeeeee
I thought the equation of the line was y=14 - x^2? It would cross the y-axis at y=14 when x=0 right?

I agree with you, my graph crossed at x=0 y=14 :smile:
Reply 372
Original post by joeeeee

Oh course, my bad.
That means I might only lose 1 mark for that question because I marked (0, 14) :biggrin:
Reply 373
Oh course, my bad.
That means I might only lose 1 mark for that question because I marked (0, 14) :biggrin:

why would you lose a mark for that?
Reply 374
Original post by tomfails
why would you lose a mark for that?

I didn't flip y=x^2 in the x axis, so (0,14) was the minimum point on my graph, not the maximum
Reply 375
Original post by Tyles
I'll fix that for you

[video="youtube;nUuggXTCNJE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUuggXTCNJE&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLsiYmze_-n1RgkvlXz2IzXw[/video]

You beat me... But how was I ever going to win when you used boobs?
In your opinion, with reference to 9ii), if you calcuated the wrong volume in 9i) but used that volume in 9ii) would you get follow through marks? If so, how many of the 2?
Reply 377
I didn't flip y=x^2 in the x axis, so (0,14) was the minimum point on my graph, not the maximum

right yeah [-1 ] for you :frown:
Reply 378
Original post by Mousebudden
In your opinion, with reference to 9ii), if you calcuated the wrong volume in 9i) but used that volume in 9ii) would you get follow through marks? If so, how many of the 2?

Do you mean 9ii to 9ii? Because if you do you should get ecf, if you meant 9i that was proof so you'd have been silly not to use their answer...
Reply 379
Probably the single easiest C3 exam there has ever been, certainly the easiest exam I've taken in a long while :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending