The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Government and Politics May/June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by krispykreme2012
So the C question was pretty tough for elections. what did you guys write for it? I made a stupid mistake and wrote that SV was PR and then realised after i left the exam room! do you think that sort of thing lose a lot of marks? i defined SV fine and wrote about what happens and the outcome but just wrote it was proportional, so i'm not even sure if that would mean i get like 5/25 :frown:

I'm pretty sure you would only lose 1 or 2 marks, it wouldn't damage your whole essay! I just wrote about how PR systems are likekly to produce coalitions, help small parties, increased nationalism. Then said how in Scotland AMS actually produced a majority so could be seen as similar to FPTP considering that actually produced a coalition.
Original post by berryripple
Panicking now as I'm pretty sure I only wrote about pluralism.

I really wouldn't worry, judging by the mark scheme you just posted nearly all of those points just relate to pluralism anyway! Surprised they used the exact same question!
Reply 181
This is what I put for the following questions.. Did I do them all correctly?

a) what is democratic legitimacy and explain one way it can be achieved
-Rightfullness to rule over a country.
-Through tradition and consent.

b) why are referendums used
-Stated what a referendum is, how they appear (1 question, yes or no), not binding on Parl
-To determine an issue of public importance
-To answer a question which the Gov are not united over (1975 EU Referendum)
-To get consent to put const change into practice (Devolution refs - Gov had to ask Wales/Scot if they wanted devolved powers before giving it to them)

c) should referendums be more widely used in the UK
For:
Purest form of Democracy. Consulting directly with democracy.
Expressing consent will likely mean the people accept the decision.
Prevents Gov from making decisions not in our best interest.
Power shifts from Gov to people.
Effectively entrenches Const change.

Against:
Respect is lost, argued Plato. It undermiens elected process and electoral mandate.
Some citizens are more educated than others in politics.. Elected representatives have expertise and can look after the interests of everyone.
Referendum campaigns are costly, and the correct answer may not receive as much exposure; media can sway peoples decisions.
Tyranny of the Majority.

a) what is the link between pluralism and pressure groups
-Define Pluralism + Pressure Groups
-Pluralism = different beliefs/opinions; different pressure groups have different opinions.

b) Why do pressure groups use different methods (I think that was the question)
-Insider/Outsider - Civil disobedience if they're an outsider. Insiders need to act with respect.
-Insiders can use techniques like bribery of MPs/have access to MPs.
-Outsiders are more likely to protest, like Plane Stupid.

c) do pressure groups contribute to pluralism
They do:
-Different opinions.
-Give power to citizens, and a platform to speak their opinions.

They dont:
-Insiders have more access, therefore more influence. They usually have same philosophy of Gov, so the power is still concentrated to those that have same philosophy.

(Sorry, but cant remember what else I put :s-smilie:)
Original post by Mouth

I really wouldn't worry, judging by the mark scheme you just posted nearly all of those points just relate to pluralism anyway! Surprised they used the exact same question!

I've emailed my teacher to ask :tongue:
Just a shame when I thought it went really well :frown:
Are we 100% sure it said pluralist democracy?
Reply 183
I did 1 (democracy) & 4 (electoral systems). I decided a while before the exam not to bother with the Parties question. I thought that it went okay, it was just that my answer for part C of the last question was pretty naff.
Reply 184
Original post by MOSJohn
This is what I put for the following questions.. Did I do them all correctly?

a) what is democratic legitimacy and explain one way it can be achieved
-Rightfullness to rule over a country.
-Through tradition and consent.

b) why are referendums used
-Stated what a referendum is, how they appear (1 question, yes or no), not binding on Parl
-To determine an issue of public importance
-To answer a question which the Gov are not united over (1975 EU Referendum)
-To get consent to put const change into practice (Devolution refs - Gov had to ask Wales/Scot if they wanted devolved powers before giving it to them)

c) should referendums be more widely used in the UK
For:
Purest form of Democracy. Consulting directly with democracy.
Expressing consent will likely mean the people accept the decision.
Prevents Gov from making decisions not in our best interest.
Power shifts from Gov to people.
Effectively entrenches Const change.

Against:
Respect is lost, argued Plato. It undermiens elected process and electoral mandate.
Some citizens are more educated than others in politics.. Elected representatives have expertise and can look after the interests of everyone.
Referendum campaigns are costly, and the correct answer may not receive as much exposure; media can sway peoples decisions.
Tyranny of the Majority.

a) what is the link between pluralism and pressure groups
-Define Pluralism + Pressure Groups
-Pluralism = different beliefs/opinions; different pressure groups have different opinions.

b) Why do pressure groups use different methods (I think that was the question)
-Insider/Outsider - Civil disobedience if they're an outsider. Insiders need to act with respect.
-Insiders can use techniques like bribery of MPs/have access to MPs.
-Outsiders are more likely to protest, like Plane Stupid.

c) do pressure groups contribute to pluralism
They do:
-Different opinions.
-Give power to citizens, and a platform to speak their opinions.

They dont:
-Insiders have more access, therefore more influence. They usually have same philosophy of Gov, so the power is still concentrated to those that have same philosophy.

(Sorry, but cant remember what else I put :s-smilie:)

Thanks so much for the answers!
for 1a, can I say legitimacy can be achieved through referendum because it receives the consent from the citizens?
and for 1b, how many marks u reckon i can get from stating wt referendum is and how they appear, and say that it prevents government from making unpopular decision (e.g. 2004 referendum in north east england) and get the consent of the citizens?(e.g the good friday agreement, but I wrote it as " the friday treaty")
for the 25marks question, how many marks would I lose if I didn't write have a conclusion at all?
Im self-teaching this subject so I really have no idea :frown:
Reply 185
I'm really kicking myself over the 25 marker on referenda. I only did one side of the argument because I thought thats what it was asking for (set out an argument for one) however everyone I have spoken to have done both sides. What's the maximum mark I can get for one really well sided argument?
Original post by Stumaj
Hi, sorry for replying late, guess what, had a politics mock exam in lesson time - an epic fail... we haven't done so much I've realised..even though we were taught, it's like I don't know how to structure the answer and what exactly to say! Even the mark scheme isn't helpful :frown:

I'm so sorry about your accident, ouch! Well, get better soon...

....and yes, I'm doing both Unit 3 and 4 this summer. Done AS for a B and couldn't get a better mark even after retake, so there we go...and I've applied for IR, that's why I'm freaking out to do the exam the best I can....

How come you are doing Unit 3 even though you're Year 12?

Aww that sounds horrible! I wouldn't worry, whenever we do essay questions I always do really badly :/ Thanks :b!
Same, however, I applied for a retake, turned up for the exam and then got told I couldn't sit it because I hadn't been put in for it, even though it was on my exam timetable! I would have done it this year, but I'm hoping to get an A so as to pull my grade up, and I've got so many other exams on at the moment that I thought I would just put all my effort into the A2 stuff.
I'd love to do IR, my teacher is desperate for me to do it because the rest of my class aren't doing anything politics related at uni(that being said, we are a class of 5 and they are all yr13 guys :smile:. However, most of the politics courses I would apply for want a foreign language which I do not have.
And I took my GCSE's a year early, so took AS in year 11 :biggrin: So much fun, but I think A2 is just so much more interesting!
How is all your revision going? x
Original post by Stumaj
Oh my.....is this Unit 3D stuff? I swear I haven't heard those terms ever before :-O arrgghgghhg

Yes please, anyone, if you have notes, just a little tiny bit on EU, PLEASE...that would save many lives I assume...

Nor have I. But I was going through the spec and saw it, and :confused::eek:

Goodness, I hope I haven't been revising to an out of date spec!

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/Edexcel%20A2%20Topic%20D%20_Global%20politics_%20-%20content%20explanation%E2%80%A6.pdf
Part C in elections I found difficult to develop... I hope everyone else found it hard-ish!!
Reply 189
Original post by berryripple
I've emailed my teacher to ask :tongue:
Just a shame when I thought it went really well :frown:
Are we 100% sure it said pluralist democracy?

Just checked with some friends and they both said pluralist democracy too. But I really wouldn't worry :P
Original post by Mouth
Just checked with some friends and they both said pluralist democracy too. But I really wouldn't worry :P

Emailed a teacher and she said pluralism implies democracy so it should be okay as long as I talked about distribution of power (which I did.) Fingers crossed!
Hey everyone, I re-sat Unit 1 yesterday, I'm feeling confident about both my 5 & 10 markers, but it's my 25 markers I'm worried about.

I answered on Pressure Groups and Elections, and for my 25 marker on elections I only put two points as I messed up my timings! My pressure group one was better but I was kicking myself cos there was so much more I could've written about, particularly reasons why they don't improve plurality.

Will this be detrimental to my grade? I was aiming for an A but am not so sure now... I think the amount of time they give us to answer is ridiculous.
(edited 11 years ago)
So the C question was pretty tough for elections. what did you guys write for it? I made a stupid mistake and wrote that SV was PR and then realised after i left the exam room! do you think that sort of thing lose a lot of marks? i defined SV fine and wrote about what happens and the outcome but just wrote it was proportional, so i'm not even sure if that would mean i get like 5/25 :frown:

I found it tough. In fact I only made 2 points as I ran out of time. Tbh tough I don't know what else I would've written, the only example I had was the result of the 2010 general election, which I put in. I didn't have any stats for other elections :/ I wrote a bit about STV and how it's a pr system, how it is less likely to produce strong, single party government but that it is far more proportional and represents voter opinion much better. Not a good answer overall!
Original post by NeonIndian
I found it tough. In fact I only made 2 points as I ran out of time. Tbh tough I don't know what else I would've written, the only example I had was the result of the 2010 general election, which I put in. I didn't have any stats for other elections :/ I wrote a bit about STV and how it's a pr system, how it is less likely to produce strong, single party government but that it is far more proportional and represents voter opinion much better. Not a good answer overall!

To be honest, I think we've all done pretty badly on the 25 marker for elections. Lets just hope that unit 2 treats us well!! :tongue:
Original post by Maicccccmannnn
I did this two years ago, so if you need any help just quote me w/ the issue your having difficulty with.

I'm trying to grasp how integration affects enlargement. I know the basics, but I'm confused about a few things. Why is it argued that if we had a multispeed europe it would go against enlargement? I thought it is good for it, as not all members are obliged to join all the complex layers of integration. And what is the difference between Copenhagen criteria and the acquis communautaire. Thanks!
Original post by TopGearRules
To be honest, I think we've all done pretty badly on the 25 marker for elections. Lets just hope that unit 2 treats us well!! :tongue:

Yeah, thats reassuring! Well mine was a re-sit so I won't be doing Unit 2 again, thankfully I managed an A in that (somehow.) Hope it all goes well for you!
Reply 196
Original post by NeonIndian
Hey everyone, I re-sat Unit 1 yesterday, I'm feeling confident about both my 5 & 10 markers, but it's my 25 markers I'm worried about.

I answered on Pressure Groups and Elections, and for my 25 marker on elections I only put two points as I messed up my timings! My pressure group one was better but I was kicking myself cos there was so much more I could've written about, particularly reasons why they don't improve plurality.

Will this be detrimental to my grade? I was aiming for an A but am not so sure now... I think the amount of time they give us to answer is ridiculous.

That's so true! 80 minutes for 80 marks? Pfft! I never ever finish my C questions...
Reply 197
I did 2 and 4 :tongue:

I thought the a) pressure group question on unit 1 was weird. Might have burbled with that a bit. :ahee:

Loved the elections questions. So much to talk about! I typed three pages. :biggrin:
c) i found really easy. it was in the revision book for unit one so i was so happy when that came up.

At least I actually read the questions correctly this time! :tongue:

<3 x
Reply 198

Really? I'm really surprised everyone was saying it was so hard. I thought it was much easier than the Jan 2012 paper = 25 marks on the merits of FPTP. :nope:

<3 x
Original post by LETSJaM
Really? I'm really surprised everyone was saying it was so hard. I thought it was much easier than the Jan 2012 paper = 25 marks on the merits of FPTP. :nope:

<3 x

The merits of FPTP would've been much easier;
- MP constituency link
- Normally produces Majority
- Simple
- Keeps out extremist parties

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending