The Student Room Group

Titanic II sets sail 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Why isn't it being constructed in the UK instead of China???
Original post by Kiss

Because we no longer have a ship building industry?
Original post by Captain Crash

The UK does... it is just small as hell so most likely would not support a ship of this size being built here anymore.

Although it is cheaper to be built in China as well so I guess that is another factor :lol:
Reply 23
Original post by Kiss

Because it's cheaper and supposed to sink.
Reply 24
Original post by Eddyward
I'm sure a lot of people are gonna be eager to buy tickets for the first voyage...

You seem to be meaning this sarcastically, but yes - I expect there will! I think I'll pass, personally!
Reply 25
This is truly sickening - some businessman is clearly trying to make money out of the horrifying deaths of hundreds of people.

Can't wait for his next projects - the Twin Towers highrise hotel, Auschwitz summer camps and Beslan afterschool care.
Reply 26
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Titanic should be left alone. It happened so long ago, and there haven't exactly been no other cruise ships sinking, so why the constant publicity? Despite the 'unsinkable' stuff etc

The builders of the titanic didn't even say it was 'unskinkable'. That was made up after the event apparently.

I think it's just that it's got a romantic feel to it. It was quite a bitg deal really, and although there have been sinkings in years afterwards, none quite like it.

I mean, there's been genocide's similar to the Nazi's, but none quite like it. There's been more catostraphic events than 9/11, but again, none quite like it.

The image of the massive, intimidating boat, hitting an ice berg on its way from London to New York.... I mean, a poet would struggle to come up with that.

I don't see anything wrong with replicating it, as long as surviors (which there won't be any by that time) and their families don't take offence. Also, it's kind of tempting fate, but I'm not suspicious so, yeah.
Reply 27
Original post by Kiss

Trying to model it as closely as the real thing in 1912 - i.e. doing it on the cheap - after all, cutting a few corners with the rivets or a few less lifeboats can't hurt...

I wonder if it will have a 3rd class? As long as they don't put any gates down there.
Reply 28
Original post by Captain Crash

Reply 29
I do think this is extremely distasteful, but is it really any different to the hundreds of other tourist attractions around the world making money out of disastrous things?

Very good, but the point was that over 100 years ago, the UK made by far and away the vast majority of the world's ships. Today, what remains of the industry is a niche one with most of the industry now in the far east, particularly South Korea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending